Freya iss here!

Hey All
I gotta question for you folks that know how to decipher this from the owners manual. Quote:
If your curious, the front tubes are for the differential voltage gain stage. The rear tubes are for the cathode follower output stage. All tubes are the same type on Freya.
My question is in a tube rolling situation can I change 2 tubes and have an effect without messing things up?
Or do I have to change all 4?
And which 2 would I change ?
Pairs are definitely better for the old pocket book than quads and a lot more choices. Thx, Eric

You should probably ask the people at Schiit that question. It is an interesting one that deserves the correct answer.

My understanding is that the two right tubes are differential voltage gain stage and are more important. The two left tubes are the Cathode Followers. So, if you wanted to just buy two tubes, swap them in place of the two original tubes on the right-side for the most bang-for-your-buck.

Hey
I kinda dropped the ball on this thread. Schiit did get back with me a told me the same. Thx, Eric

Hey
I just thought I'd give you all an up date on the Freya. I got my tubes from Bryce ( GE 6sn7gtb) . BIG IMPROVEMENT! !!
So yeah, the Russian tubes are just for show. Put back in the box where they belong.
Eric

Would this be a good alternative to something like the Brickwall surge protector/powerstrip products?

With the APC G5 not only are you cleaning the power and protecting your precious gear but you can program it to turn 8 components on/off sequentially and with your choice of time delays.

glance.g5.jpg

Hey
I won a used g-5 .I just haven't had the ambition to get it installed. Room is at a premium on top of the stereo cabinet. (Actually it's a dresser) so I thought I'd mount it on the back .Eric

You'll have to reach the front power button on the G5 to turn it on although a couple of the receptacles are always on.

Hey PG
Yeah, I was thinking of mounting the face flush with the top edge of back. So I could easily reach back there and push the one button .
Mainly I was leaning this way to try and get the rats nest off the table top. Just have all the power cords run to that, then I'd just have the interconnects to deal with.
Anyway it sounded good inside my head. Eric :)

I've tried both the Saga and Freya and after swapping in and out for a couple of weeks have settled on the Freya. A bit of overkill as I find I'm only using the tube mode but the extra gain of the tube stage really gives everything life. Punchy and dynamic with all the amps I've tried. Currently have it paired with a ClassDAudio SDS-254 amp and I honestly haven't had anything I enjoy listening to more than this combo. As others have stated, stock tubes are only average. I have about 25 hours on a pair of new production Tung-Sol's on the gain side and Sylvania chrome domes as followers and these really improve everything. I can highly recommend the Freya.

I'm new to Schiit, having acquired a Mani and Modi Uber. I was so impressed with the Modi I impulse bought the Bifrost Multibit, then asked for permission to return the Modi 7 days outside the return window. They answered my email in 8 minutes!(with a yes). It probably helps that I'm on the west coast too, but I was seriously impressed with their customer service. And the Bifrost, wow that thing adds great detail to lossy files!

So now I'm looking at the Freya, and remembering that it was recommended to me when I bought my Tannoys, that they sound their best with tubes. o_O

I feel like this post is missing some context.

So I had a pretty solid plan laid out for my current system as far as upgrades and additions. My planned Pre amp purchase was indeed a Schiit Freya primarily because the tubes are easily obtainable, plentiful and it has balanced inputs and output jacks. Pleus it is new production and covered should I need it repaired. But Then a few weeks ago another Ak'er posted a Juicy Music Peach II for sale on Barter Town and I have heard nothing but rave reviews about them so I was torn. I had demo'd a JM Blueberry Extreme a few years ago but ended up landing a Lamm pre Amp that I felt was better at the time for the what I wanted to accomplish. But the Juicy Music pre amp was truly musical and it left an impression on me. So even though I am blowing the Fun Budget and completely blowing my upgrade plan I decided to pursue the Peach instead of the Freya. I may still wind up with a freya at some point but I am not sure when. I hope that fleshes things out a little.

So I had a pretty solid plan laid out for my current system as far as upgrades and additions. My planned Pre amp purchase was indeed a Schiit Freya primarily because the tubes are easily obtainable, plentiful and it has balanced inputs and output jacks. Pleus it is new production and covered should I need it repaired. But Then a few weeks ago another Ak'er posted a Juicy Music Peach II for sale on Barter Town and I have heard nothing but rave reviews about them so I was torn. I had demo'd a JM Blueberry Extreme a few years ago but ended up landing a Lamm pre Amp that I felt was better at the time for the what I wanted to accomplish. But the Juicy Music pre amp was truly musical and it left an impression on me. So even though I am blowing the Fun Budget and completely blowing my upgrade plan I decided to pursue the Peach instead of the Freya. I may still wind up with a freya at some point but I am not sure when. I hope that fleshes things out a little.

Totally understand how that happens. I recently ended up with a TV I didn't completely intend to purchase because a deal came up that I couldn't refuse.

Back
Top Bottom