Friday Tunes

OMdLVpM.png

One of the most promising bands on Chicago's experimental rock and new music scene in recent years, Darts & Arrows vaults into the forefront with its third album, "Altamira." Produced by Matt Lux (Rob Mazurek, Iron and Wine) for ears&eyes Records, it is the quartet's most fully realized effort, retaining the edgy vitality of their improvised work while painting beautifully textured sonic pictures on a series of through-composed pieces.

Led by songwriter-guitarist Bill MacKay, recognized for his "abundantly inventive" music by Chicago Reader critic Peter Margasak, the quartet, featuring keyboardist Ben Boye, bassist Kyle Hernandez and drummer Quin Kirchner, expands its sound on three compositions with the addition of violist Renée Baker, both a member of the vaunted AACM and former principal player in the Chicago Sinfonietta, and alto saxophonist Nick Mazzarella, heard with Ken Vandermark's Chicago Reed Quartet on the recent album, "Western Automatic."

"Altamira" basks in mystery, conjuring visions of cool nightscapes, dreamy cloud formations and lightning storms. You can hear traces of flamenco and film noir, boom box rock and classical recitals, nursery rhymes and spiritual encounters. Among the highlights is "The Well-Wishers," adapted from MacKay’s string quartet of the same name, first performed by Renée Baker’s Chicago Modern Orchestra at the Conjuring Solids Festival: Strings Fluxus in 2014.

Well for some reason last night I was thinking about Willie Nile and if he had made any more records since American Ride.
I went to play House of a Thousand Guitars on Apple Music but as I checked the new releases listed on the music service
( That's where I saw the new Robyn Hitchcock, Ray Davies &c ) and this was on it.

Every time I try to escape they drag me back in.

Willie Nile
Positively Bob
Willie Nile sings Bob Dylan
June 23,2017
Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.35.48 AM.png

P.S.

After a good many years Little Steven aka Miami Steve also has a new release - Soulfire, which is up next.
Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 8.43.55 AM.png

Well for some reason last night I was thinking about Willie Nile and if he had made any more records since American Ride.
I went to play House of a Thousand Guitars on Apple Music but as I checked the new releases listed on the music service
( That's where I saw the new Robyn Hitchcock, Ray Davies &c ) and this was on it.

Every time I try to escape they drag me back in.

Willie Nile
Positively Bob
Willie Nile sings Bob Dylan
June 23,2017
View attachment 959016

P.S.

After a good many years Little Steven aka Miami Steve also has a new release - Soulfire, which is up next.
View attachment 959019
Closing with "Abandoned Love", that's a rare one.

MI0004184218.jpg

Giedré Dirvanauskaité / Gidon Kremer / Daniil Trifonov
Preghiera: Rachmaninov Piano Trios

Release Date February 24, 2017
Duration01:07:03
Genre
Classical
Styles
Chamber Music
Recording DateMay 1, 2015 - May 3, 2015
Recording Location
Echternach/Luxembourg, Trifolion