From Rear Projection to LCD

Oops, yes that's what I meant. Brightness and contrast.

If I was to decide to bring the brightness down which way would I go with the contrast ?

The brightness and contrast do interact with each other. When you used the advanced test pattern for brightness and contrast, did you set it to the correct level when you viewed those star patterns, as described on the WOW disc?

Also, whenever you change the brightness, this will also affect the color/tint.

So, if you decide the picture is too bright and you drop the brightness, you should use the color bar pattern again and view it through the blue filter.

Can we assume by your comment that you see an overly bright picture?

What happens when you lower the backlight adjustment? I am not familiar with LCD screens. I am only assuming this adjustment has something to do with the intensity of the light source (bulb).

If you use the advanced patterns on the WOW disc and go to the the color bar pattern (chroma/hue), you'll see a series of seven color bars. The bottom portion of the pattern is black. It should look inky black.

Right under the red color bar, just below the small black bar, you should be able to just see a vertical line. This is commonly called a color bar pattern with PLUGE. That vertical line should be just barely visible and it's grayish. The black area should look black, not gray or some other shade. The brightness control can be used to change the intensity. If you see this bar easily, then there is too much brightness. The easiest way to adjust the brightness with this pattern is to bring the brightness all the way down and then slowly bring it up until you just see that vertical line.

If you bring your brightness all the way down, and you still see the line, maybe the backlight setting is too high.

By all means, do not adjust anything in an overly bright room. It's best to have the room darkened or wait until the evening.

The back light is supposed to compensate for room lighting. I have it at 5 out of 100, but 0 is not actually off. Yes, it's the bulb.

I'm going to try pulling back the brightness pattern and adjusting the contrast to similar look on it's pattern. Then do the color again just to see what happens since I already have these numbers saved.

Like some others have already stated, you need to calibrate any TV with a disc like Avia in order to get the best results.

Most TVs in showrooms as well as from the manufacturer are not set up optimally and oftentimes are overly bright, colors and saturation heavily boosted, high amounts of red push, over-sharpened, etc...

Also, there is an adjustment period if you're going from CRT or rear projection type to either plasma or LCD/LED. My last TV before making the switch to LCD/LED was a 60" Sony DLP which I loved for it's film like rendering. Now that I've been accustomed to LCD/LED, I'm not sure I could go back to DLP.

... there is an adjustment period if you're going from CRT or rear projection type to either plasma or LCD/LED. My last TV before making the switch to LCD/LED was a 60" Sony DLP which I loved for it's film like rendering. Now that I've been accustomed to LCD/LED, I'm not sure I could go back to DLP.

Agreed on that - my first HDTV was a 34 inch Philips CRT - stunningly gorgeous contrast, deep deep blacks and great colors. I went from that to a 47 inch Vizio (yeah, it was a cheapie) and that was one jump - then last year we got a 70 inch Sharp Aquos and it was a huge step from the Vizio ...
Its a lifelike window into another world ... tho the best viewing is after dark with the lights dimmed (I do NOT run in torch mode!)

We do watch the occasional black and white (bogie/bacall, the third man, marienbad, etc) and they look fine.

70 inches ! I was just looking on the Crutchfield site and they say that's the size I need for my viewing distance. Isn't that kind of overkill for 8.75-14.6 feet ? I guess my 42 should be in the bathroom.

Watched League of Extraordinary Gentlemen on Blu-ray and it look great. Got the 3 channel all set up. Pulled out some Paradigm Reference that I had stacked and never used and they sound pretty good. Might get out the other two.

70 inches ! I was just looking on the Crutchfield site and they say that's the size I need for my viewing distance. Isn't that kind of overkill for 8.75-14.6 feet ?

Surprisingly no - a big screen not too far away really lets you appreciate the details in a HD image
whether its Diana Krall Live in Rio or The Desolation of Smaug. Its about 8-9 foot to the TV from our sofa.
We are not football fans, but we do watch Formula one ... on that screen, in surround, with the big sub ... woah!

When I first got that 70" set last year my wife thought it might be too big - until we watched a few movies on it ... now she thinks its perfect!

It just takes patience - We grew this system over a NUMBER of years. I started around 2000 with a 25 inch Zenith CRT TV, a VCR, a JVC receiver and a pair of ancient JBL L36 Decade speakers I bought new just after college. I had that combo for a number of years before I started dabbling with better speakers.

I think the best bang for the buck was when I had 3 pairs of the DCM Timeframe speakers for the surround sound ... they can be very affordable and that taught me how important it is to have all your surround speakers in the same family of sound.
Add a matched center and a good sub and you're done!

The system just before the the last upgrade had Vandersteen 2CE fronts and Vandersteen 2CIs on the sides and was pretty darned impressive too!
Not much more $$ than the Timeframe speakers but it made a great leap in fidelity.

Last edited:
I have TF-1000s and TF-400s, would make a heck of a surround system, I had the 400s hooked to the other tv. These older Paradigm Reference 20 sound damn good. I have the matching center for these too.

I'm getting used to this 42", but I think the 52" I had was plenty big enough for me. Still beat's the 27" Sony crt I had before that. Anyone want to trade a TV for some TF-1000s ?

:)

Yup, a big screen is great. Alas, in my current abode and best arrangement I can only properly fit a 60". To go bigger it'd have to be projection with speakers behind the screen.

The way I'm set up now, 52ish would be about all I would want.

I'm still confused on the computer DVI to HDMI 1 input and analog audio, haven't got that working. It also says in the manual that the tv audio out doesn't work with the HDMI inputs, but it does. Luckily all I have to do is run two rca cables from the tv to the amp, same as before. I like it simple like that.

Notes:
• Refer to your amplifier’s or Home Theater System’s manual for more information.
If you have a device connected to INPUT 1, INPUT 2 or INPUT 3, you will not be able to hear
any audio from the AUDIO OUT on the back of the TV otherwise.

Opened the drive and cleaned the lense, plays everything I put in it so far. Fingers crossed.

Attachments

• drive1.JPG
    drive1.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 9
  • drive2.JPG
    drive2.JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 6
Blu-ray seems to be like rolling dice, some play others don't. I've heard about this but am now experiecing it. How can anyone spend money on a disc if it might not play ?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=223795
Never had a problem with literally HUNDREDS of bluray discs ...

Oh wait, I have gotten a couple Bluray discs that were cracked in shipping (Netlflix)
[physically damaged] and did not play - but anything I've gotten in hardshell cases has been fine.

I did have a couple Disney or Fox rental bluray discs that FORCED me to watch trailers for other films
- and COULD NOT be skipped - but they did play ... just upset me ...

I was getting about 50/50 results with discs, hopefully this quick clean did the job. I haven't updated firmware yet, the disc is sitting there ready to load.

I had problems early on with some disks on a earlier Panasonic BD player. Firmware update(s) to the player seemed to fix that.

So far the blu ray is playing everything I put in it, the TV sucks, how can something be too bright and too dark at the same time ?

So far the blu ray is playing everything I put in it, the TV sucks,
how can something be too bright and too dark at the same time ?

Easy - Poor contrast ratio. That's the problem with the cheaper sets is they don't have the broad range
from full bright to full black ... As digital sets got better, the ratio increased ...
Thats one of the differences between a $500 set and a $1500 set!

This explains a bit of the problem ...
http://www.practical-home-theater-guide.com/contrast-ratio.html

Last edited:
So far the blu ray is playing everything I put in it, the TV sucks, how can something be too bright and too dark at the same time ?
Turn down contrast and increase backlight. Make sure that player is not set for advanced 10 bit range in HDMI section of setup?

Back
Top Bottom