from the Harman Kardon 430 to the 730

I had one a few years ago but sold it , trying to downsize . In my opinion one of the most beautiful receivers ever made . Seeing your pics brought back memories .

Hi Guys,

I'm not new to the site, but a newer poster. I've been half way down the rabbit hole for about two years when a record store opened in my town. Yikes!

Anyway, I've had a few systems come in and out. Primarily Kenwood & Sansui.

Anyway, I now own a 730, beat out both my Sansui 7 & 881 in the main listening area. What a little gem. These really sing and can put out some power.

They seem to run pretty warm. It has been recapped by a local tech. Is it normal for these to run warmer than most receivers? I assume the dual power supplies are main reason?

Thanks-

Hi Guys,

I'm not new to the site, but a newer poster. I've been half way down the rabbit hole for about two years when a record store opened in my town. Yikes!

Anyway, I've had a few systems come in and out. Primarily Kenwood & Sansui.

Anyway, I now own a 730, beat out both my Sansui 7 & 881 in the main listening area. What a little gem. These really sing and can put out some power.

They seem to run pretty warm. It has been recapped by a local tech. Is it normal for these to run warmer than most receivers? I assume the dual power supplies are main reason?

Thanks-

I read on a post one time that it is all the little lightbulbs that help it to run so warm as there are 6 small white tube style bulbs in the unit

I have that very same receiver that I bought used for $125 from a schoolteacher at my high school-in 1983. Was my primary piece of gear, up until two years or so.

Beautiful piece of equipment. Might have to get mine back out and put her back in play.

I have that very same receiver that I bought used for $125 from a schoolteacher at my high school-in 1983. Was my primary piece of gear, up until two years or so.

Beautiful piece of equipment. Might have to get mine back out and put her back in play.

I continue to be blown away by it. Just love everything about it.

I have owned and restored two of them over the years and IMHO it is one of the best sounding low/mid powered receivers out there.

Hope you get years of enjoyment out of yours.

I have owned and restored two of them over the years and IMHO it is one of the best sounding low/mid powered receivers out there.

Hope you get years of enjoyment out of yours.

I agree. THough not twin powered the 330 series remains my favorite. We need to keep this thread locked, HK are one of the few affordable receivers still.

I gave my original HK 730 to my son-in-law for his 30th birthday a few years ago. I had used it since I bought it new around 1976. It is built so well I expect my grandson will be using it some day.

I’ve been listening to Harman Kardon since 1983. I’ve also owned a 330i, 460i, a couple 430s, a 730 and a 930 (and a digital model that I left behind somewhere). To my ears, the newer ‘i’ models come across immediately as somewhat tinny — but not as bad as the typical highly acclaimed Japanese Receiver’s like the Sansui 771 or Marantz 2270 which I’ve personally demoed with the same speakers, deck and albums.

According to my ears, I’ve kept my 430 and 930. I’m uncertain I can hear a distinct difference between the 430, 730 or 930, as the 430 is lots for my small place. I should say though, the 930 is just cool — the switches feel more significant, the extra power is obvious, and the original wood cabinet is a rarity.

In the end, I have yet to hear another vintage solid state receiver that is even in the same class of sound as the 430/730/930. Your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom