From the shallow end: That elusive quality called Synergy

Archguy

Official Roiurama Factory Rep
On a lark, I picked up one of Mac's most compact little amps. Wasn't expecting much in the shallow end of the McIntosh pool, but after a couple days of playing, I can say that it's actually astonished me. Though as always I'm struggling to find the right words to describe qualities of sound.

It's a richness of tone which (agreeably enough) seems to impart a feeling of general well-being. And yet, there's a certain delicacy to the sound -- not fragility (not remotely!) -- but an inviting quality which is actually sort of seductive. Come to think of it: the word may be intimate.

MC754_AB.jpg

Haven't tried it with other speakers yet, but the synergy between this MC754 and the A/D/S speakers rebuilt by AK member @KrautNotRice is nothing short of amazing. It's the fifth amp I've played through these rebuilt classic speakers and so far my favorite. Now, why should this compact, unprepossessing amp sound so impressive? I've really no idea. In this game, we just keep trying different combos and once in a while one just about puts a half-nelson on us.

The cage isn't actually blue--that's the effect of the LED light I had shining when I took the pic :)

Last edited:
Very nice! The MC754 is a very competent full featured amplifier.

The sound? That's the McIntosh house sound - and that is neutral.

nice! my little MC-752 never ceases to amaze me. i love how simple it is. paired to my Forte III's, it's just an incredibly clean and detailed sound that i can listen to endlessly.

Effortless and captivating is what the sound is to me. I have a small 502 which sounds just as good as my 2205 to me. Enjoy the music.

The MC752 and MC754 were developed out of the amp section first premiered with the MAC4100 receiver, then the MA6200 and the following receivers......

They were added to the lineup so we could add high performance audio throughout a client's home without sacrificing the quality that was expected out of the main system.

Not surprising at all that many are finding these to perform just as well as their big watt siblings.....

We did settle on using one in the ABX demonstration I hosted with a number of other comparison amps before we finally settled on a PSE audio amp to use with it in the final comparison demo for the assembled members of the local AES.

The MC752 and MC754 were developed out of the amp section first premiered with the MAC4100 receiver, then the MA6200 and the following receivers......

They were added to the lineup so we could add high performance audio throughout a client's home without sacrificing the quality that was expected out of the main system.

Not surprising at all that many are finding these to perform just as well as their big watt siblings.....

We did settle on using one in the ABX demonstration I hosted with a number of other comparison amps before we finally settled on a PSE audio amp to use with it in the final comparison demo for the assembled members of the local AES.
Years ago, I remember one such system featured in Audio Video Interiors.

There's a good reason this little unassuming amp from 40 years ago is now a 4 figure purchase most of the time - they sound sublime.

jblnut

Back
Top Bottom