Front speakers to small or large with sub??

I really don't feel like going over this point by point, so I'll just say I completely disagree with you.

You, for some completely unknown reason, except to perhaps see your own text, took several statements I made, about either how my room was setup, or what preferences I have, as some sort challenge to dispute which makes no sense. Because of that, and all those letters under your user name, I'm not going to bother with you on this any further.

You can do a search here, and elsewhere for Distributed bass, and Geddes's tests.

i put the yamaha back and after some missing around and listening, it seems it sounds better set to small as well.

im not here trying to start an argument, im just relaying my personal findings.

now i cant quote any bodies reviews or info, im not that deep into this stuff to know whos opinion is more valuable.
my system is in my bedroom, the room isnt very big, so maybe thats why my findings are for the small setting.

my passive subs are up high, they are on top of my enterainment center and the powered sub is on the floor in a corner.
i may move the passives to the floor and see if it makes a difference in the sound, but as it is now, it sounds pretty darn good.

i guess what im trying to say is, move things around and try the different settings. ones ear may find the sound they are looking for instead of settling on someone else`s arrangement.

my real audio back ground is in car audio, but i dont think it transfers over to home audio.
in car audio, i could make a pair of 10 inch subs hit harder, faster and sound better than any 12 inch or bigger on the market.
i had a pair of 10" alphasonics and a 1250w rms 2oHm stable planetaudio mono amp that would literally take your breath away. this was in a 99 volvo s70 and i had to install three layers of dynamat in the quater panels just to keep them from popping out over an inch and causing air distortion.

Last edited:
I really don't feel like going over this point by point, so I'll just say I completely disagree with you.

You are free to do that.

You, for some completely unknown reason, except to perhaps see your own text, took several statements I made, about either how my room was setup, or what preferences I have, as some sort challenge to dispute which makes no sense. Because of that, and all those letters under your user name, I'm not going to bother with you on this any further.

But wait, you disputed the information I gave, as you were the individual that threw the rock at my window. Don't get this twisted. And what about those letters under my name so intimidates you? They are just organizations. You don't seem to have alot of faith in what you believe do you?

You can do a search here, and elsewhere for Distributed bass, and Geddes's tests.

I am very aware of Geddes's work on distributed bass. However I have seen Toole's work for my self, and it has worked successfully in every system I have installed. Dr. Toole, Dr. Sean Olive, and Tom Nousaines work all pretty much agree's with one another. All of them believe in distributed bass, so Geddes work is not indispute. Your idea that it is the only right way to do bass is. There is no one formula that works for all rooms, and I don't think anyone with half a brain would dispute that.

Of course there is no concrete way to enjoy music/movies. If there was these forums would be pretty useless. Before getting into 2 channel I was heavily into HT, and do strongly believe that having ALL speakers set to small (for my setup) sounds the best.
I have a thread from another HT site I used (and still do) that I got permission, from the Moderator that created it and if Im allowed to post it here I think it could help on the topic. Is this allowed??

On a side note.

@ Sir Terrence.. You can make a point without coming across condescending. No one needs every line depicted. Thats what they do over at AVS. No need for it here. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
this is how i have my system set-up at the moment,
passive sub`s are on each side of the TV with the surrounds on top of them , powered sub on the floor.

setup002.jpg

scaled.php

i took the denon out yesturday and put the yamaha back.

Hey bad400 can you take your surrounds and place them behind your listening area? What model of Yamaha and Denon do you have. I think both are a bit older and don't have the ability of the "newer" bass management the newer ones have but with what you have you can still get great sound if placement of all speakers are met, including your powered sub.

Hey bad400 can you take your surrounds and place them behind your listening area? What model of Yamaha and Denon do you have. I think both are a bit older and don't have the ability of the "newer" bass management the newer ones have but with what you have you can still get great sound if placement of all speakers are met, including your powered sub.

with the way my room is set-up, its pretty much the only way i can have it.

the denon is a avr-1802, the yamaha is a r-v703.
they both have sub pre-outs which is how im running the powered sub, but the r-v703 has better sound to me.

with the way my room is set-up, its pretty much the only way i can have it.

the denon is a avr-1802, the yamaha is a r-v703.
they both have sub pre-outs which is how im running the powered sub, but the r-v703 has better sound to me.

Its all about what you can do in your space provided. No worries then. If I can add one bit of advice that you could do, is to lower your center channel to ear level. Forget the large vs small debate. The center is the most important for HT.

Its all about what you can do in your space provided. No worries then. If I can add one bit of advice that you could do, is to lower your center channel to ear level. Forget the large vs small debate. The center is the most important for HT.

i thought about putting the center speaker on its edge on the left of the vcr`s, but i keep forgetting LoL.

just thought i would mention, i took the advice to move the center down.

Heres what it looks like now.

clean002.jpg

scaled.php

yeah,
sense its more " inline" with my ears, i had to turn it down.
its not that good of a center speaker to be honest, it only has two 4" drivers.
once i have a little more money to spare, i`ll probably get a newer model.

I use a Yamaha RX - v2500 which has multiple options. I can set any speaker ( Mains , Surrounds , Rear Surrounds, Center ) to small , or large . Outside of the " large " or " small " setting of the mains, I can set the bass to come from -

1. Just the main speakers.
2. Both the main speakers + the subwoofer.
3 Just the subwoofer.

I set all of my speakers to " large " for the exception of center channel. This reciever doesnt allow for setting the center channel to " large " while using a subwoofer. I also set the " Bass Out " to BOTH my main speakers & my subs. I find my system achieves best response when set this way. May be different for others :)

just thought i would mention, i took the advice to move the center down.

Heres what it looks like now.

clean002.jpg

scaled.php

Wow..... I am a little stunned how you hooked up 8 speakers, 2 passives and a powered sub up to that one receiver? Are you running any of the speakers in series or does the receiver have a un-godly amount of speaker outputs? Looks good though........ hope you have an X-box or PS3 hooked to it !

Wow..... I am a little stunned how you hooked up 8 speakers, 2 passives and a powered sub up to that one receiver? Are you running any of the speakers in series or does the receiver have a un-godly amount of speaker outputs? Looks good though........ hope you have an X-box or PS3 hooked to it !

LOL,

heres how i have the passives ran in the (a) channel.

wire002.jpg

the 4 pro6`s on top of the technics are ran through the passives,
the center speaker is ran through one of the center channels. this unit has two center channels, but i only have the one center speaker right now.
the technics are ran through the (b) channel, and the two 911b`s are ran through the rear channel.
the powered sub is ran through the sub pre-out.
i could take the technics off the (b) channel and run another pair of passives and 4 more two ways like the pro6`s.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom