Fruit Of The Vine

usedto

Lunatic Member
Since you seemed to like my thread about the planting of an almond orchard and all that it entails, I thought I'd do another.....making wine. In this one, however, I have more than a bystander's interest. This is a project of mine that I have planning for some time, and it appears to be coming together this year. I will be an active participant to say the least.

A little history, first.

My Great Grandfather, Peter Joens, was born in Holstein, Germany in 1855. He was raised on a farm there, and came to the United States in 1875, where he settled in Dubuque, Iowa. He worked as a farm hand until he could purchase his own property. In 1902, he and his family decided to move out West, and settled in Lodi, Ca. He sold his property in Iowa and bought 156 acres on the Mokelumne River, which he farmed. He was also one of the founders of Farmers and Merchants Bank in Lodi. In 1913, he started deeding parcels of his property to his 10 children - 3 boys and 7 girls. Throughout the years, most of the parcels were sold off, but my grandmother kept hers. When she passed in 1992 at the ripe old age of 102, her three sons, including my father, inherited her 18 acre piece. Dad passed in 1995, and Mom kept it with both of my uncles, who in turn passed. She had acquired 1/3 from a cousin through a property swap, and after she passed two years ago, the cousin who owned the other third sold it to us - me and my three siblings. Here's an aerial photo of the property. I have outlined the apprx. property lines in red:

lodi2a.jpg

For those of you curious about the exact location, go to Google maps and look for the intersection of Hwy. 12 and Cherry Lane in Lodi, Ca. The property is landlocked, but it's easily spotted by that abrupt curve in the river. The property is northwest of the intersection.

Two years ago, after we acquired the whole piece, I went and met the people who have been farming the property for the past God knows how many years (My grandmother's home ranch was about 40 miles away - too far to reasonably farm). After talking with them, I asked if they would let me "skim" some grapes and have some custom wine made. They were more than happy to assist. I had it all set up last year, bought the grapes from the farmer, but my winemaker let me down, and they ended up raisins. This year, however, I have a new company more than happy to help out. I haven't asked the farmer or the winemaker if I can use their names yet, so I won't. I'm sure they won't mind when I ask.

Before I go any further, I know NOTHING about growing grapes or making wine, so I'm relying on people who do to help me with my project. I'll give information as I get it, and hope it's reliable. I'm sure it is. Asking about making wine is like asking about which speakers sound the best.

The grapes are Zinfandel, about 15 years old. Zins picked early generally are used for making White Zinfandel wine, more of a rose' wine. Leave them on the vine longer, more mature, more sugar, ferment them a little different, and you get a red wine. That's what they're going for - red. The rest of the field is being mechanically harvested on Sunday, and will be going to one of the major wineries in the area for White. They are saving the two South rows for me, which will be hand picked and turned into Red. I'm going to process about 1 ton, which should generate about 60 cases.

So there you have the groundwork. I will take what photos I can and try to show you the process from field to glass, and everything in between. I don't know how long a post can be, so I'll end this one and start another.

Last edited:
The farmer sent me an email yesterday and told me the brix was getting high enough to take a sample to the winery. They want samples about a week to 10 days before harvest. The field is about 35 miles from where I live, so I took off this morning about 9AM to get the sample.

You have to drive about 3/4 of a mile through other vineyards to get to the field,, I was idling along in my pickup when I thought I saw something moving up ahead in one of the row, I had taken my camera to do this little documentary, so I rolled forward and got this:

deerx.jpg

The trees in the background are river bottom, so deer frequent the place. If you look closely, you'll see that there is a fawn in front of the doe. They just stood there and watched me. Used to the folks, I guess. As long as they don't eat grapes!!

Here's the southwest corner of the field - where the white post is. These two rows are mine.

fieldcorner.jpg

Here's a shot down the center of the two rows:

rows.jpg

North row:

northrow.jpg

South row:

southrow.jpg

They want about 100 berries, top, bottom, inside, outside, at the winery. I walked the field to the end and sampled the grapes accordingly. Here's what I ended up with (in my Bacardi Rum ice chest - how many of you remember those?)

sample.jpg

I then took the sample to the winery. They were impressed with the quality of the fruit, and they had good flavor. They run it through their lab for specifics, so I left. About 2 hours later, I got an email that the brix was about 21.3. They want about 25.5 for a good Zin, so he wants another sample in 10 days. The best part - the farmer told me this morning he thought they were 10 days to 2 weeks away. Nice to know everybody's on the same page.

So there's the groundwork. I'll take photos of the picking and delivery for sure, and crush if the winery will let me. Hopefully in 12-18 months we have some nice red wine, which will also honor my grandmother (more about that later). I'll try to go all the way through the bottling process, too.

More to come.

Last edited:
Great story and history. Really special that you have had this piece of property in your family for so long and have retained it. I look forward to your story and adventure in wine making. Cheers!

I agree this will be interesting.

Thanks for this BP - great story, looking forward to more :yes:

I'll definitely be following this thread. The history, location, crop and product are topics I'm keenly interested in. Thanks for deciding the share it all with us.

You are all welcome. I hope it all comes out well.

Under ideal circumstances, the vines would have been handled differently during the year to produce better grapes for red wine. White Zin - you go for tonnage. Red - quality. Had I known earlier that this was going to happen, the grapes would have been thinned, the lower bunches removed, and leaves pulled to allow more air and sunlight. They also irrigate a little differently for red. Luckily for me, this year the lack of rainfall resulted in a smaller crop, so they partially got the benefit of "natural" thinning.

Unfortunately there won't be as much going on in this thread once the grapes are in the winery. After that, it's up to the winemaker, Mother Nature, and whatever higher authority, if any, you subscribe to, to determine how good the wine is.

For now, next Friday or Saturday the wife and I will run over and take another sample to see how close to picking we are. I'll keep you posted.

The best part of all of this - I don't particularly care for red wine! I would personally prefer the White Zinfandel wine, but it doesn't seem to have much of a following in CA these days, and I am also considering marketing this wine, so I have to take that into consideration. Red wine is the flavor of choice these days.

Oh, well.

Very nice there, bp!

Interesting terrain & looks like you'll be busy keeping things in order!

Yea, a nice glass of Red Wine is the doctor's order! :D

Rome

I remember you mentioning this piece of land before, glad to see some pics of the crop!

Correct. I posted a photo of it right after we acquired the rest of the piece. Shortly after my mother passed, my cousin called and said they were interested in selling their third. There was enough money in the estate to do it, so we decided to buy them out.

The property, being right on the river, is worth a lot more than it generates in income from the crop, but there is no advantage to selling it now, and the people farming it are happy, so...........if it ain't broke, don't fix it!:thmbsp:

So it's been 9 days since the last sample, and the winery wanted another today. Here's another shot of the grapes, neatly hiding behind leaves on the vine:

grapes.jpg

I mentioned in my first post that I was going to harvest two rows. I only want 1 ton, and one row will more than supply that, so the farmer harvested the second row with the rest of the field last Sunday night. the machine is long gone from this vineyard, so I couldn't get a photo. They're tall contraptions that straddle a row of vines, which are all up on wires. I'm not sure exactly how they do it, but the strip all of the grapes. Here's what the vines look like after harvest:

]
afterharvest.jpg

And today's sample. I'll get the results later today or tomorrow:

sample2.jpg

The winery was pretty busy today, taking in people's precious crops. Hopefully mine will be in there by the end of next week.

What a great story. I'm sure you'll have some nice wine to toast your grandmother. if you ever decide to sell some count me in. Cheers!

I have to dig into the particulars of the laws concerning selling the wine. I know an individual can produce 100ga. per person, 200ga. per household with 2 or more adults, for personal use only. I should end up with +- 60 cases- well under the limit for the wife and I. As soon as it's in the winery, I'll pursue the legalities of getting a license to sell. I already have a business license and resale number, so that's done.

It's all on hold until it's in liquid form.

We also have a vineyard of Pinot Grigio that might be in line next year if this works out well.

Best of luck to you Larry! I know nothing about making wine although I'm pretty good at drinking it. I'll be following your progress.

My brother-in-law on, the other hand, has made his own wine for 30 years or so. He has a doctorate in chemistry which probably helps. Anyway for a basement operation he produces some really fine wines of most every type.

cubdog

And the results from the winery:

Following are the lab results on the vineyard sample you delivered today.

pH = 3.36

Brix = 23.4

The berries looked nice but we need a little more maturity. Best guess is end of next week but more likely, the beginning of the following week.

Can you bring in another sample next Thursday?

First of all, I respect the winery for being precise in their guidelines. Makes for better wine.

And I have a growing respect for the farmer. When these large grape growers set up for mechanical harvesting, 'close' counts in many cases. Most of these commercial grapes get blended anyway, so it doesn't matter quite as much.

However, when I asked them about helping with my project, the farmer told me he knew what to do so I would have GOOD wine. When I took the first sample, he said he thought they were 2-2 1/2 weeks away at least. Looks like the winery lab is proving him correct.:thmbsp::thmbsp:

Next week we go again. The vineyard is about 35 miles from here, all freeway, so it's an easy jaunt.

Until we know if you'll be selling some to interested AKers we'll just have to toast your effort with a nice cab or malbec. Best of luck. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom