Frustration with new Albums (Vinyl), Paper Sleeves

welcomdmat

Why do musicians decide to put their albums in gatefold covers with the actual albums in cheap paper sleeves? I would be so much happier to not deal with the frustration of sourcing proper sleeves for the records.

Additionally, I don't think it would really put them out that much to spend on a poly-lined paper sleeve.

There has to be some cost analysis done. It really gets on my nerves, and I think less of the musician even though it was not likely their decision.

I can't remember the last album that I bought, new, that didn't have a poly-lined sleeve. All the labels, that I regularly buy, use them.

APO, Acoustic Sounds, Nonesuch, Fat Possum, Third Man, Revenant, Arhoolie, et al., and lots of the big-label re-issues.

My last was on Glassnote, and I regularly buy from Grönland records (they put out a fair few of the older albums that I like) with paper sleeves. I bought one recently from a BMI sub label without as well.

Third Man I like and agree that they do a good job. It happens on occasion, but I feel I am more surprised when I have a quality sleeve. That said, the Smiths "Meat is Murder" re-issue I bought a couple of years ago came with a liner sleeve but the record was in a white poly-lined sleeve. That made me smile.

I try to replace mine as best I can (I tend to be kind of cheap about it), but I needed to vent about a practice I find ridiculous.

I try to replace mine as best I can (I tend to be kind of cheap about it), but I needed to vent about a practice I find ridiculous.
So, you do what the record companies do, and it is okay for you, but wrong for them?
...the frustration of sourcing proper sleeves for the records.
There are lots of places that have these sleeves, and ship in whatever quantity you would like. BagsUnlimited, SleeveTown, SleeveCity, even Amazon, just to name a few.

After cleaning, my used record purchases go into SleeveCity's 312NRPS, the Diskkeeper Audiophile, which is analgous to the MoFi inner sleeve. I buy them in quantity, at $17.99 per 50 pk. Looking at the dwindling pile, it's just about time to re-order those, and the outer sleeves, as well.

I move the lined sleeves from records that have them (and I don't listen to often) to records that I listen to regularly or are part of a collection that I am looking to curate.

I am at a point where purchasing sleeves is called for. I would still like modern vinyl to come with a picture sleeve included like a booklet with the vinyl in a poly-lined paper sleeve.

The reason behind this thread was not to argue or downplay my part in the process, but rather to express an expectation on my part.

I will say this.....I just received my new double Lp of Grizzly Bear's Painted Ruins, and you want to talk IMMACULATE vinyl?! It is like they cleaned it before they sent it - and it came in nicely poly-lined vinyl protectors/sleeves

Poly sleeves really don't cost much replacement wise, allot of people have them on hand just to replace what comes with the record.
This is definitely not the cheap hill to die on. MoFi liners are less than $20 per 50, seems like a silly thing to be complaining about.

I just bought 100, MOFI, (2 fifty packs) from a member here. I could not find them cheaper anywhere. Osage is reasonable, if you buy in a large quantity.

Rhino is in charge of the Cure. They have a quality spread for the consumer. They have poly lined sleeves for the record and then the paper sleeve for the end consumer.

I came across someone at a coffee shop last week that felt we should burn the record shops down to melt the vinyl records that were in there. She thought that the labels would then include poly-lined sleeves.

She also thought that every state should be constitutional carry.

I get the reference, I started singing it in my head...Dire Straits Brothers in Arms, Can't get no antidote for....Bluuuues. One World.

I was just riffin' on what damacman started! Had he not triggered the memory, I probably just woulda slogged on through!

Back
Top Bottom