Fs advertised versus capability

I am pretty sure I will be going with the HS 24" Mark II sub and a Speaker Power SPI-4000_HT in a 15 f^3 sealed enclosure firing down 17.5" to concrete. WIth that being said, I am over my budget. Also, Christmas is coming. I may have to wait until January to buy the gear, but I will be building and bracing the box in the meantime. Here is a pic of the plans I came up with.
View attachment 1045143

please tell me this came to fruition man

pm me if you need help...

Last edited:
I enjoy organ music also. One option is to try to find some high quality organ speakers. At one point I used 4 Allen Organ HC-12 speakers (using woofers only) in part of a tri-amped system. They are designed to play a 32' stop. These were powered by an Altec pro amp and could literally shake the house if turned up very loud.
20170305_124408.jpg

Was going to mention that Walker digital has been making digital 32’ stops for instruments for over 25 years, and are the best at it. I’d bet they have a pretty good angle on making bass cabinets if organ music is your thing.

Guys. Omg. 16Hz at 115dB in a domestic setting is not only mental, that's ludicrous. Now keep in mind that in a previous life, I worked in the car audio industry for 20 years. I drove demo vehicles with as many as (12) 15" woofers capable of 150dB SPL. I still do own a vehicle with a pair of 18" subwoofers in infinite baffle, capable of flat response to below 20Hz and semi-insane SPL at frequencies below 40Hz. So, let's just say that I have an appreciation for properly designed and executed subwoofer systems.

I've owned two separate homes at which I integrated pairs of 18" subwoofers in the attic in coffin sized vented enclosures, big power, and equalization to flatten response to 20Hz at the listening location. Looking back, the cons far outweigh the pros. Generating such high SPL at low frequencies in a home in a neighborhood brings with it all kinds of challenges. My subwoofer systems destroyed my ex-wive's nick nacks, ripped drywall from the studs, caused light bulbs to unscrew and drop from their sockets, caused globes to fall to their demise from light fixtures, and generated hundreds of complaints from neighbors and numerous visits from law enforcement.

Years ago, I came to the realization that the only thing on this planet capable of reproducing the tactile sensation of a full size pipe organ with 32' pipes capable of shaking the marble foundation of the largest church is said pipe organ. Sure, (8) 24" SI subs would be a hoot, but not until I buy property 100 miles from nowhere with a concrete bunker for a sound room.

Given the advancements in subwoofer driver technology, it's just too easy to get satisfactory output to below 20Hz with a single 12" driver in a reasonably sized enclosure and modest power.

I enjoy organ music also. One option is to try to find some high quality organ speakers. At one point I used 4 Allen Organ HC-12 speakers (using woofers only) in part of a tri-amped system. They are designed to play a 32' stop. These were powered by an Altec pro amp and could literally shake the house if turned up very loud.
View attachment 1103017
OMG that system...yes please

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-...rga.html?ath=403246303817d51e0941a99703d6356a
I came to the realization that the only thing on this planet capable of reproducing the tactile sensation of a full size pipe organ with 32' pipes capable of shaking the marble foundation of the largest church is said pipe organ.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-...rga.html?ath=403246303817d51e0941a99703d6356a - this exists 3 miles from my house. It is interesting to see the engineering that had gone into it.

Back
Top Bottom