Fuel Injector Cleaners

Andyman

Scroungus Stereophilus
Subscriber
Here's some Saturday morning thought provoking conversation.

What do you guys know about fuel injector cleaners?

Snake oil or worthwhile for a quick cleanup??

I used to add Amsoil PI to my gas back when I had my Ford Ranger, but that fell by the wayside once I junked it with a bearing knock. Now I picked up this old Olds wagon to use as my hauler and want to add a can to clean it up a bit. I used to read that some shops would add the Amsoil PI to the gas and that was their $39.95 fuel injector cleanup program. There's also something out there called BG-44K which is supposed to be very good to; it contains naptha.

I also heard that many of the "cleaners" are just kerosene; a fact found to be true for at least one product (Valvoline Synpower Concentrated FI cleaner is 85-95% kerosene according to its MSDS). I realize that most of these are a detergent in some sort of vehicle, but paying $50+/ gallon for kereosene does seem like a bit of a bite. I'm looking for the one shot, power clean to clean up the accumulation and then to followup say once a year after.

So what do you folks use, not use, or know? Anybody got a good homebrew, like run a tank of high test, or 10 oz kerosene mixed with 1 oz naptha and a shot of bourbon :D (just guessing)?

Let me know what you think or know, I know there a wealth of automotive insight lurking here.

I'm no expert, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. But, my father-in-law has been in the car biz for 30+ years. He thinks most additives are snake oil. The only fuel injector cleaner he's used with noticeable results is Borg-Warner. It runs about $9/can. That's the only additive I've seen him use. I don't know if that's any help, but it won't cost you much if you try.

JDaniel

Hmmm......

Couldn't find an MSDS for Borg Warner, but found this for Chevron Techron

COMPONENTS CAS NUMBER AMOUNT
Distillates, hydrotreated light 64742-47-8 30 - 50 %weight
Stoddard solvent 8052-41-3 10 - 25 %weight
Solvent naphtha, light aromatic 64742-95-6 5 - 10 %weight
Benzene, 1,2,4-trimethyl- 95-63-6 1 - 5 %weight
Xylene 1330-20-7 0.1 - 0.5 %weight

It looks like my WAG "homebrew" may be pretty close to what the big boys sell for big bucks!

Wonder what "stoddard solvent" is though?

That was easy

"What is Stoddard solvent?
Stoddard solvent is a colorless, flammable liquid that smells and tastes like kerosene. It will turn into a vapor at temperatures of 150–200 °C.

Stoddard solvent is a petroleum mixture that is also known as dry cleaning safety solvent, petroleum solvent, and varnoline; its registered trade names are Texsolve S® and Varsol 1®. It is a chemical mixture that is similar to white spirits.

Stoddard solvent is used as a paint thinner; in some types of photocopier toners, printing inks, and adhesives; as a dry cleaning solvent; and as a general cleaner and degreaser.

So, maybe we should start selling kerosene, paint thinner, naptha and a few other nasty organic solvents for around $60/ gal?? ($5.99/12 oz). Being a bit facetious, like saying a fine crepe is water, sugar and flour, but it still seems to be a bit of a ripoff considering what goes into the bottle.

Yeah yeah, R&D, marketing, :blah: :blah: :blah:

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

I double dare you to post this at an auto forum! :D

My 2 cents, it is additives in a base such as kerosene or naptha.
Only Techron has been proven to do what it says as far as I know. It doesn't cost much either. Brand names are somewhat regional too though. No B/W or AMOCO products here.
I have used 44k as a smog cheat, it will lower hydrocarbons on a
smog test. What else it does??? Does it de contaminate a cat.
or just raise combustion temp I can't tell you. It only masks an existing problem in my experience.The salesman comes off as a snake oil guy and has no any real info.
I suppose you could make your own witch's brew as long as you don't coat your cat. with it.
To me, it is just an upsell just like shocks when you buy tires at
a chain. It can't hurt bid did you accomplish anything?
Actually, Toyota sells a real cleaner that comes in a can. I have only used it twice, but it does dissolve particulates causing injector nozzle problems. It will also damage anything in it's path if not used correctly. When needed it works though. It's not
preventative maintenance thing.

Carl

Originally posted by CarlV
I double dare you to post this at an auto forum! :D

I know what you mean. I used to read those for the synthetic oil debates; those wind up like the cable ones here:D

You ain't just shittin :rolleyes:

Best I've used are Chevron Techron and Gumout Regane. Regane will eat away any deposits that might be in harms way, guaranteed.

Being an ex GM line wrench I will weigh in on this. Some products can work to help a small problem.

By the time most people notice they have a problem all the cans in the world are not going to fix it.

There used to be alot of products that worked for certain things but are no longer around. EPA and cancer regs got em.

As to the Synthetic oil debate I do know this. It does make more power for a given weight than Dino oil and the cold flow is twice that of regular oil. Quicker pressure to the mains/rods= less wear.

There is a reason that the T-5 tranny runs on ATF. Does anybody remember trying to shift your 4-Speed at 15*? My M-20 (in the GTO) runs on Mobil-1 gear lube and the cold shifting is 100 times better.

Just my two cents on the subject.:D

It would be worth knowing what type of problem you're trying to cure in the old Olds? Also, are we talking about a throttle body FI or Port Injected FI? Maybe even an actual carb?

I'll second that emotion regarding synthetic oil... It's about the only "snake oil" I believe in. I've seen the pressure differences on an oil gauge before/after.

Carmine:

It's just a bit of a rough idle and marginal gas milage (20 mpg). It's a 1990 Cutlass Cruiser w/ 161,000 miles and the 3.3L w/ port FI. It's not the cutting edge in auto technology, but it sure can hold some gear :D

It's just a bit of a rough idle and marginal gas milage (20 mpg). It's a 1990 Cutlass Cruiser w/ 161,000 miles and the 3.3L w/ port FI.

Well, start with the basics... Plugs/wires (that car is most likely DIS, so no cap/rotor). With the advent of EFI & DIS, people don't maintain anything! My '93 NY'er had 170K on it when I bought it from a friend (2002); Still had the OE spark plug wires, and the plugs were worn down to little nubs! Funny thing is.. still ran great. I did a tune-up, and am running strong at 188K.

Next, I'd do a throttle body clean-out, removing the tube connecting the airbox to the throttle body. Spray cleaner into the bore (engine OFF!!) and try to get all the little passage ways and the backside of the throttle blades. Let it all dry-out for a few hours before restarting.

If no improvement, I'd change the O2 sensor.

After that, you're into the area beyond maintaince, pulling codes, checking sensors, etc.

unless it is showing a s.e.s. i would shotgun the ignition.
the best fix in a can goes on the fuel rail and the car runs on the can during the treatment.
another common trouble on older cars is vacuum leaks.rotten hoses are cheap to replace.

I second that synthetic oil discussion..

I had a '92 olds Trofeo, with the 3800 Pfi engine. I got the car when it had around 50k on it, in '95. promptly put synthetic oil in it, and at 202k, the car was using no appreciable between 4000 mile changes!! not to mention, the engine started in 1 second ,or less, on the coldest days, and ran like a scalded dog( did my share of draggin' in that old car), and never let me down, till last winter, when the ignition module/crank sensor failed. I kept Rapidfire plugs in it(no doubt that helped the quick starts), and so on. It died on me last spring(ignition problems, again, and I gave it to a friend, who got the engine running again, with its original power ,and fuel economy) I miss that old car, with its touch screen computer and other hi-tech features(more than most NEW cars), but I have no room for it now, with the company van in the driveway.

Back
Top Bottom