Full Sized Trucks--When Will The "Size War" End?

Full size pickemup trucks need to be based on box truck chassis. 13' high. And accelerate and stop and corner like boxtrucks. Then after enough insanity, common sense will prevail. In the meantime, low bridges will never run out of dinner (see 11foot8.com and The NC Canopener Bridge),.

No offense to Ram owners, but I have always the Ram front end ugly and intimidating. Maybe the drivers have something to do with it. Again no offense, but it seems the proportion of a-hole pickup drivers in Rams is higher than with other brands, in my neck of the woods. If a guy is on my ass in a big truck, chances are my rear view mirror will be filled with a Ram grille. :biggrin:

On the weekend I saw a commercial for a new truck with a flip-down STAIRCASE in the tailgate. They've finally given up and basically admitted their trucks are too big. The 2019 GMC Sierra 1500.

No offense to Ram owners, but I have always the Ram front end ugly and intimidating. Maybe the drivers have something to do with it. Again no offense, but it seems the proportion of a-hole pickup drivers in Rams is higher than with other brands, in my neck of the woods. If a guy is on my ass in a big truck, chances are my rear view mirror will be filled with a Ram grille. :biggrin:

On the weekend I saw a commercial for a new truck with a flip-down STAIRCASE in the tailgate. They've finally given up and basically admitted their trucks are too big. The 2019 GMC Sierra 1500.

I find the same in my area. The RAM (Fiatsler) pickups tend to attract the most aggressive drivers. 9 times out of 10, if someone is tailgating me, it will be a RAM truck. These things are too close in size to a real Semi-Truck, with drivers which would not make the cut at SWIFT (Sure Wish I'd Finished Training). Truer words have never been said. These vehicles need to be either downsized, or a Commerical Drivers License with frequent drug testing mandatory and mandatory driver training at a truck driving school for 3 years.

Last edited:

This is absolutely absurd. Bad enough that 75% of the folks working in my office building own a freaking truck for no reason... just cause they can, it's just a "I demand you notice me!" affliction that has just gotten worse over the last 15-20 years.

They are not that comfortable, efficient, easy to park or cheap to buy tires and other parts for. Unless you need to haul stuff, I don't see the appeal other than BIG.

I've hauled so much crap in my 4L V6 Ranger, and towed a trailer with it. It does pretty good for a small truck. Very good actually. And even short lil me can reach over the side walls and pick up tools out of the bed. Try that with the new Mount Everest Dominator Turbo Max.

Last edited:
To be fair, I just looked up the 2019 Sierra and the "stairstep" inner tailgate--while it is that-- is also a footrest to allow sitting in the bed with your feet down on it. Also has cupholders. SO I gotta say that's kind of cool. It can also fold outward as a work bench of sorts or upward vertically to act as a stopper for extended loads.
I can see the practicality of this -- IF YOU'RE USING IT AS A WORK TRUCK FIRST, WITH THE TAILGATING LOUNGING THING SECONDARY, SO YOU HAVE A REAL REASON TO OWN THIS TRUCK.
If not, my sentiment remains.

People feel safer with Texting/Phones/ DUI drivers/in the snow in a big vehicle and they are more affordable than the big body on frame SUVS & they are not as throw away (as long as you don't buy one that has frames that rust out) . Plus they can haul/tow & gas is cheap (in the US anyway).

It is NOW. Just wait till we have another $5/gal spike like we did back in 05. People won't be able to dump their behemoth vehicles fast enough.

I drove a Ford Ranger for a couple decades after I retired from the military, light hauling and personal transport mainly. Replaced by a sensible sedan, I'll rent a truck next time I need one which is rarely, or swap a favor with someone.

Now, Now, I've been driving full sized trucks all my life. I'm 6'4" and 225lbs. They fit me fine. Drive a 4 door F150 now. Foldable, and lockable cover over the box. My family of 4 has taken it into the mountains on ski trips and loaded the back end with gear with much success. I take it on 6-8 hour drives for business trips and owned a lake house for 10 years which meant pulling a full sized boat or Seadoo. Not to mention hauling all the "stuff" you need for weekend visits to the lake.....(multiple 5 gallon gas containers, trash, lawn equipment and the like). It's not a maul crawler, it's a life style. I didn't buy it for looks, I bought it to use!

Back
Top Bottom