Full Sized Trucks--When Will The "Size War" End?

19_OBK_KDF_024_K7U.png

"Cross-over" is modern code for station wagon?

I worked for a caterer that has a big V8 Ford LTD station wagon, a classic that looked like this one.

CA15_r0266_21.jpg

This is the truly scary part of the rapid rebound in sales of gas-guzzling trucks and SUVs. The minute that fuel prices dropped, EVERYONE ran out and immediately bought a huge gas-guzzler. In the event that fuel prices do rise to all-new highs, all these poor suckers are still going to be paying on a vehicle that they can't afford to drive, and there is no real way out, because re-sale and trade-in values of those vehicles will take a serious hit, as well.
And by that time , the Big 3 will have stopped making fuel efficient cars .

I just want to know how many of those "coal rolling" asshat "bros" can get those gummed up engines to start when the temp drops below zero. Mine is all stock, and it has started well below zero, even when I forgot to plug it in overnight. Takes forever to warm up, but it starts just fine.
Back in the '80s, I had my Dad's Chevy Luv in Fairbanks while I finished school. One February, on a trip to Circle Hot Springs (the Circle referring to the Arctic Circle, even though that's still farther north) where we stayed overnight, in the morning I decided to try starting it at 40 below, without plugging it in.

I gave it a dozen or so pumps on the gas pedal, waited a bit, and turned the key. "Whuha....Whuhaaaaaaa......glug-glug-glug-glug-glug..."

That story will impress an Alaskan. "Don't ever sell that truck!"

Ford Ranger is back for 2019 with I4 Turbo and 10 spd automatic. It won't last. I want a 3.0 V6 with manual.
IM sure I read that for the Asian market they will also come with a diesel.In august I was on my 13th year or so of owning my f150 4x4 and ready for a new vehicle.I was honest with myself and my needs and could not justify a full size truck of any make anymore.All needs could be met by a 5x10 foot trailer.So after lots of looking and thinking I decided on a 2013 ford edge mid-sized suv.Im not disappointed in the least.27mpg on the hyway ,a little less in town and plenty of power for the size.Its awd which was important as I still go off the beaten path to camp and other fishing and hunting areas.The 285 hp 3.5 na v6 pulls my 16 foot boat easily and theres plenty of room inside the beast.Living up here in Canada (sault ste marie) ive owned trucks forever but im not missing them atall at this point in my life,not to say id not be interested in a new bronco later on:).Though I will be leaving it in awd all winter and anytime offfroad it can be switched to fwd at the push of a button on the computer screen.The truck went on to a new owner and as far as I know the young lady is loving it.Even though it needed a complete emg brake system and would need attention to keep the body from falling apart anymore she was determined to buy it and pops agreed so off she went happy as a clam.
43247249994_08b236413f_c.jpg

Last edited:
IM sure I read that for the Asian market they will also come with a diesel.In august I was on my 13th year or so of owning my f150 4x4 and ready for a new vehicle.I was honest with myself and my needs and could not justify a full size truck of any make anymore.All needs could be met by a 5x10 foot trailer.So after lots of looking and thinking I decided on a 2013 ford edge mid-sized suv.Im not disappointed in the least.27mpg on the hyway ,a little less in town and plenty of power for the size.Its awd which was important as I still go off the beaten path to camp and other fishing and hunting areas.The 285 hp 3.5 na v6 pulls my 16 foot boat easily and theres plenty of room inside the beast.Living up here in Canada (sault ste marie) ive owned trucks forever but im not missing them atall at this point in my life,not to say id not be interested in a new bronco later on:).Though I will be leaving it in awd all winter and anytime offfroad it can be switched to fwd at the push of a button on the computer screen.The truck went on to a new owner and as far as I know the young lady is loving it.Even though it needed a complete emg brake system and would need attention to keep the body from falling apart anymore she was determined to buy it and pops agreed so off she went happy as a clam.
43247249994_08b236413f_c.jpg

I would be happy with low twenties MPG. My Crown Vic gets that rolling down a hill.

I know a guy who will sell you a diesel Mark VII for a very reasonable price. My less-aerodynamic Continental does a reliable 25 mixed and 27+ straight highway. I would expect at least that much out of the VII.

"Cross-over" is modern code for station wagon?

I worked for a caterer that has a big V8 Ford LTD station wagon, a classic that looked like this one.

CA15_r0266_21.jpg

Subaru calls that car a wagon. Bean counters call it a crossover.

;)

My mom had a wagon that looked exactly like that LTD but it was a Mercury Grand Marquis and she drove it like a boss. Funny thing is though she managed that monstrosity for 10 years, in her later years, she thought a Cavalier felt too big.

The truck "size war" will end when the last oil well on Earth is pumped dry.

Oh, and BTW: that Buick Regal wagon mentioned earlier is gorgeous. AWD, plenty of features and roots in Teutonic engineering.

Isn't the current Regal and wagon derivative a Korean design?

I'll admit it looks pretty sharp, but it strikes me as kind of a Kia or Hyundai at a Buick price.

As noted above, people buy big trucks, so manufacturers make them. I did not ace Economics in college, but I'm thinking we have a demand and supply thing going on here.

I wonder how much the market is driving the design, and how much the design is driving the market. I really just question how many people are telling the mfg that what they want is even more truck. I suspect its an ongoing case of one-upmanship between all the makers, and the advertising that leads people to demand the bigger, badder, better whatever to get the ladies. Advertising to men is pretty much always "buy this, get sex" and it has been for decades.

I wonder how much the market is driving the design, and how much the design is driving the market. I really just question how many people are telling the mfg that what they want is even more truck. I suspect its an ongoing case of one-upmanship between all the makers, and the advertising that leads people to demand the bigger, badder, better whatever to get the ladies. Advertising to men is pretty much always "buy this, get sex" and it has been for decades.

I agree. Marketing/advertising has certainly led to bigger and bigger trucks. But there's obviously high demand for big trucks to begin with, so the marketing is more effective.

Safety issue also with lots of texting/phone use and DUI, so many people feel safer in big ones plus they are Do It All. Low gas prices sure help those sales also!

Around here they want more truck. I like a big truck. 2010 2500HD crewcab 4x4 long bed gasser. 36,000 miles. My "beater" is a 2001 7.3 Superduty extracab long bed 4x4. The family rig is a 1997 Suburban 4x4 with a 454 big block. We all like a big rig. What I don't get are jacked up trucks that guys try to work out of. If I need a ladder to get to the lumber rack, it is a bit ridiculous.

I think people in general want more rig. There is a reason the major manufacturers aren't making small cars or trucks anymore. People aren't buying them. Like was said above, even a Honda Civic or Toyota Tacoma isn't really a small car anymore.

I do think it is a regional thing in part though. There is a big difference in puttering around the city on the east coast and driving the many open miles we have on the west coast. I prefer big and comfortable. I use mine for work, but would have it anyway.

I have been driving my Silverado S/S for the last couple of days. I only drive it every couple of months. It has been sitting in my garage since May. It is a 2004 with 60,000 miles, It sits so long, the battery goes dead and I have to charge it. Still looks and smells like new. I have never even put anything in the bed. I have an old truck for hauling stuff. I admit that I don't need it. But, I will probably never buy another Brand New vehicle. And, it is fun to drive. Very fast.

Note that the Ford F-150 and Superduty, while large, in the newest versions have shed considerable weight by going to aluminum bodies. Though in the case of the Superduty much of the weight saved from the body was used to enable the use of a stouter frame. The Superduty has the highest payload in its class and I see scads of new Ford duallies pulling fifth wheel RVs.

As noted above, people buy big trucks, so manufacturers make them. I did not ace Economics in college, but I'm thinking we have a demand and supply thing going on here.

In high school, we used to cruise the streets in this lime green classic.

iu

tupperware wagon!

Back
Top Bottom