1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Fulla 2/Modimulti/Vali 2

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by opa1, Dec 26, 2017.

1. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

It has begun!

opa1 and cratz2 like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

I put the MPH's over a box for a few days. Big improvement in fit. Maybe my heads shaped like a box? :) I've been running the Philips non-stop for a few days too. They are sounding really good out of the PC HP jack. Sure would like to try them with the ModiMB.

cratz2 likes this.
  3. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

As I said elsewhere, I have several nicer sets of phones but for the main types of music I listen to, I could easily live with the 9500s as my only set.

:beerchug:

opa1 likes this.
  4. beanoil

beanoil That's not how this works

I've got the original Fulla.
    This still brings a smile every time I use it.
    Drives my Sennheiser 598's very well. im fulla.jpg im fulla_1.jpg

opa1 likes this.
  5. opa1

opa1 Tenacious

Update on the system. The Vali 2 is here. Now this is getting the SQ right. I'm using a ModiMB/Vali 2 with the SHP9500S. It's a great combo.

cratz2 and WobblySam like this.
  6. Makis

Makis New Member

Could the vali 2 replace my Cambridge Audio 551 Azur as a phono preamp with the Marantz 4400? Would there be a point?
    It would be nice to have a tube headphone amp that can also serve as a preamp.

cratz2 likes this.

7. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

The Vali 2?

It's a headphone amp, not a phono preamp.

8. Makis

Makis New Member

On their website its mentioned that it could also be used as a preamp, but since its not its main job I'm guessing it wont be any good at it.

cratz2 likes this.
  9. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

There is a difference between a preamp and a phono preamp. A phono preamp is meant to amplify a signal from a turntable (which generally is very weak) to line level (a standard line out from a CD player or tape player or whatever). This often involves 100-1000x amplification depending on if you are using MM or MC.

The other thing that a phono preamp does is correct the RIAA EQ curve. In my understanding, because of the very physical nature of vinyl, it is possible for heavy bass to drown out higher frequencies. To compensate for that, the recording put on the vinyl generally has the lows dampened and highs accentuated. When the signal is passed through a phono preamp, the reverse EQ is applied to balance it out (i.e. it boosts the lows and dampens the highs). This is why rumbling from noisy platters or other low frequency vibrations occur with vinyl sometimes; those unintended and external low frequencies are getting a boost.

The Vali, on the other hand, works as a preamp in the sense that it sends a signal that powered speakers or a power amp could use. Assuming it is like the Valhalla 2, which I have, that preamp signal is affected by the volume knob on the headphone amp, so if you hook it up to the Marantz, you may get to play with two volume knobs, trying to find the best setting. However, it will not function as a phono preamp.

If you want a phono preamp from schiit, they have the mani which is a stand-alone, or the Jotunheim and Lyr 3 have the option of having a phono preamp added to them, but both of them cost a bit more than the Vali.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Makis and cratz2 like this.
  10. cratz2

cratz2 Addicted Member

Yeah, I have the Mani (and a couple other ~$100 phono preamps) and it's a pretty nice little piece.

You can use a turntable into a phono preaml into a headphone amp into your headphones. I don't usually do that but I've had such a system hooked up in the past.

11. judsonw

I use that set up. My phono preamp has two outputs so I was able to use one for the headphone amp and one for the integrated amp. Now I use a Realistic Tape Control Center (fancy name for a box with four inputs, four outputs, and switches so you can select which input goes to which output, within reason).

cratz2 likes this.

12. Makis

Makis New Member

Thanks for the detailed responses!!The Lyr3 looks promising if it can indeed serve as a dac/phono/ and headphone amp plus the tube.I will consider it.

13. judsonw

The Lyr3, to my understanding can have a DAC or a phono preamp, but not both. Like the Jotunheim, there is a spot for a module that they can swap out to either be nothing (and this is just a headphone amp), or have a dac or have a phono preamp:

lyr.png

That picture is one with the DAC. They did not have a picture of one with the phono preamp installed.

While I am sure they exist, finding a headphone amp with dac and phono preamp may be a challenge (I admit I have not looked too hard).

Makis, GChief and cratz2 like this.
  14. Mufflertape

Mufflertape New Member

Modi2 has treated me well, cant speak for the multibit, also the Vali 2 is fantastic for its ability to sound solid state out of the box with the stock tube or to change quite a bit depending on the ECC88 tube you choose, also works with 6sn7 tubes and that is what I'm using at this very second ;)