Fun AR17 fix up

Jayrosc

I stumbled on a pair of these a couple weeks ago and am now having a blast getting them back in shape. In general, I love the winter months when I can strip old, rotted foam off drivers and put new ones on, then plug the speakers in and see how they sound. These appear to be in super condition and I can't wait till tomorrow to give them a listen. Look at how big the magnet is on the 8 inch woofers! I guess these were the next generation of AR4's....
I know it's not the best pic, but I wonder about this capacitor. I'm going one step at a time with these speakers. I know of the guys here that swear by putting new caps in no matter what, but I also know from experience that sometimes the results are not exemplary. Anyone recognize this particular model?

Attachments

• AR17 woofer.jpg
    AR17 woofer.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 51
  • AR17 Cap.jpg
    AR17 Cap.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 51
  • ar17#1.jpg
    ar17#1.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 51
  • ar17#2.jpg
    ar17#2.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 51
If it's a black plastic body with red ends, it's a Callins. And after 40 years,
chances are extremely good it's way out of spec.

They're known to explode, I've see pics, good move on your part.
Some Dayton film caps from PE should do a fine job as replacements.

That 8" woofer with a big square magnet was a typical driver used in mid 70's and early 80's AR two-ways. Slight variations of this basic design had different part numbers, but the 001-1 woofer was used in several models from those years, and later became AR's "universal" 8-inch replacement driver. It is a great small woofer, but it is the tweeter in this series of speakers that I really like. PM me if you'd like a copy of original assembly drawing for AR-17.

001 woof parts.jpg

I love 2 ways. Often, less is more.

Somewhere, Poultrygeist is smiling, ready with a witty retort about full rangers, lol.

Back
Top Bottom