Fun with Speaker ID

krimney

I picked these up today at my locak thrift store. Figured they might be worth the 20 bucks I paid.
Can anyone ID them? They are a two way with 10" rubber surround woofer and a tone control on the back.

A hint...things aren't always what they appear to be :D

nope, nope ,nope

To me they looked like Dynacos too, even more so when I popped a grill and saw the big dome, rubber surround woofer and the vent. But from the tag on the grill and the label on the back, they are NOT Dynaco.....unless they are re branded or clones.

My hint was "not what they appeared to be"

maybe

I have seen some B&O drivers that looked similiar to the Dynaco.

These speakers are made in Japan. I have nver heard of the brand before.

I've got to head out right now but when I get back I'll pull a driver and see if there is anything on the back.
I'll reveal the make and model then. In about 5 hours.....

krimney said:
I've got to head out right now but when I get back I'll pull a driver and see if there is anything on the back.
The Dynacos I've had had "Made in Denmark" printed on the connector pad. The drivers should be branded "Dynaco" or "SEAS".

They sure do look like Dynacos though. You sure someone didn't remark the cabs or swap logos?? :dunno:

Here's my $.02

The Seas woofers in my A25s have 8 mounting holes (all 6 of them, original and replacements), square ports (not rounded on the ends like the ones pictured), and the grills are a thin box frame, not cutout for the drivers.

Most definately A25 knock-offs though. Ummmm.....Lafayette?

Bob

Last edited:
Coral clone of a Dynaco A25? Even if it's badged someone else, I'd be willing to wager that Coral OE-manufactured it for whoever...

Definitely not a SEAS or Scan-Speak woofer, though. Those had cast metal baskets, this one is obviously a stamped metal frame...

Regards,
Gordon.

no time tonight.....

to pull a driver. had a few beer after my workout so that will have to wait...

but the brand is Standard Sound and the model is AS-251....can't keep you guys waiting until tomorrow evening :D

they do resemble some RS speakers I've seen as they have an RCA for a speaker teminal as well as some screw on binding posts.

I should get the chance to audition their sound tommorow.. :thmbsp:

I wonder if these speakers are like the ones luvvinyl talked about in a thread a ways back, had pioneer drivers in an A25 cabinet? Course they could have been replaced if the cabs were genuine Dynaco.

Prior thread

Let us know.

Bart

Hey, mech986! Thanks for remembering. I cleaned up the cabs. Drivers and XOs were DIY stuff. They would be OK if you had nothing. Otherwise...

I have seen the CC and thrifts here will strip drivers out of a 'name' cabinet, presumably to send to the 'Bay, and still ask for $$$ for someone who doesn't recognize them.

Ended up selling the cabs and grills for $125 to a guy whos cabs had been thru a war. Fought with a mover, and lost. So, the cabs live on, and there is a pair of good-looking, sweet-sounding A-25's that sing again! :thmbsp:

Just not mine! :cry:

Not SEAS

The drivers look pretty cheap from the back. Tweeter has a bigger magnet than woofer, ALNICO though as the screws don't stick to them. One tweeter does not work. No brand on the back of either, just a stamped on #. I put in a pair of Phenolic dome(?) tweeters like in the Marantz imperial 7 and they added a little more sparkle to the top end. I think they'll be a good set of speakers to transplant to my parents house so I have something to listen to when I visit :yes:

Back
Top Bottom