Fuse Resistors

rdp10

Hello -

I am looking for a source for new 1/4 Watt, 4.7, 10, 22 and 390 Ohm fuse resistors for my Sansui 9090. Anyone have a source?

Thanks,

Ray

I gave up looking for them and just tossed in regular resistors.

BTW, if these are on the driver board, I believe they are supposed to be 1/2W.

Yeah, we know what the service manual says. Ever wonder why they failed? Not enough headroom on the wattage. Toss in 1/2w they will fit fine. Any time I find a resistor that has opened or increased in value (but not burned up) I increase the wattage if there is room for the larger resistor. As these units age there is a somewhat larger current draw on all the circuits.

In fact some of the later driver boards had 1/2w resistors installed at the factory, but there was no change in the service or parts manual.

Fuse resistors are special dual function resistors that function as a resistor and also as a fuse. Fuse resistors are relatively hard to find. I replace all the failed resistors with flameproof film resistors. The fuse resistors are designed to fail if there is excessive current draw and then they fuse open which prevents the resistor from burning and possibly catching on fire. The flameproof film resistors provide basically the same protection. They may take a little longer to fail but they will not burn or catch fire.

Jim -

Do the fuse resistors used on the 9090 driver board also serve to protect the transistors on the driver board in an over current situation?

Ray

Maybe..

I think the idea was that maybe the resistor would protect the driver if the output device blew, as you state. I dunno what Sansui had in mind, but if an output goes, the drivers are the least of your problems.

So, if I replace them with metal film resistors haven't I have lost that protection?

I have found that MCM has 1/2 W 390 Ohm fuse resistors.

Also, micro-ohm corp. will sell them to me in quantities of 1000.

Originally posted by rdp10
So, if I replace them with metal film resistors haven't I have lost that protection?
The protection was minimal to non-existant to begin with.
I have found that MCM has 1/2 W 390 Ohm fuse resistors.
OK...if it makes you feel better, go for it.
Also, micro-ohm corp. will sell them to me in quantities of 1000.
Just what we all need...:p:

The 1.2K 1/2W you should be able to find about anywhere... Piece of cake....standard value resistor.

The .33 ohm one could be tricky. What is it for? If it needs to be non-inductive, you are a little limited. Michael Percy sells Mills non-inductive resistors in that value...but kinda spendy if that's all you need...

Originally posted by rdp10
Hello -

I am looking for a source for new 1/4 Watt, 4.7, 10, 22 and 390 Ohm fuse resistors for my Sansui 9090. Anyone have a source?

Are you sure they are 1/4? Half-watters are available at MCM Electronics ($2.29 for a bag of 20)

Items 370-4.7, 370-10, 370-22

No 390 ohm though. Just 330 and 470.

As for replacing them with standard "smokable" resistors, that would be bad IMHO. Replacing them with flameproof ones, doubly so. I don't have the experience EW does so maybe I'm full of it. Having said that, I don't like negating any protection no matter how minimal.

I still remember on my first receiver (Sony STR-V45) the original owner manually pinned the output relay closed with a toothpick because the bias was so far off. ARGH!

Yep. 1/2 W looks like the answer. The MCM part number for the 1/2 W 390 Ohm fuse resistor is 482211682525.

.33 ohm 5w ceramic resistor

The .33 ohm 5w ceramic resistor is a resistor, 2 wire used for a left channel driver amp board. It was replaced w/a .27 ohm 5w. The left one is the wrong size.

Back
Top Bottom