Fusion Drive erasing

Nightcleaner

I bought a second hand IMAC 27 inch with a fusion drive. It started asking for updates and I can not put my Apple ID in it will not accept it. Because the last owner info still embedded in the system files. So I tried to reinstall OSX . Which incidently I have done a couple of times with our 2011 Mac quite easily .

My problem is The fusion drive will not let me wipe or format it. Does anyone no a simple way round this problem Please.

Thanks

Try taking a pic/video capture with your phone on the instructions. If you don't have a smart phone just print off the steps.

It says i have Two fusion Drives

When i press options on reboot i can not get time machine to show only Fusion drive and fusion drive 2 ctrl - R will not work and get me into the boot recovery

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 12.00.24.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-20 at 12.00.24.png
    504.9 KB · Views: 7
Your screenshot only shows one internal drive. Are you saying you don't have an external drive connected?

To boot into the Recovery mode press and hold Command+R (NOT Ctrl+R) immediately on boot when you hear the 1st boot up chime.

Recovery mode should allow you to erase it with Disk Utility. Sometimes you need to choose the format type before the Erase button will light up.

Don't confuse Disk Utility with OS X Utility. The latter is a much more powerful tool when managing drives\partitions.

Are you afraid of Terminal? I erase encrypted flash drives on Mac Pro's all the time. It's a diskutil command.

i have tried every combination of CMD -R and so fourth held the option key on restart Still can not get to OSXutilities.

i been there twice on this 2011 mac and put in high sierra in from scratch. so easy

I followed through the exact same procedure on the 27 inch mac, wont have it

No not afraid of terminal only i do not know what to do when i get there - Ive tried the diskutil command several times .

I got it in the end. After a lot of mayhem trying everything. How I did it was a sheer whim of inspiration. I took the Time Machine (external Hard Drive) of my 21 inch Mac and plugged it in to the 27 inch Mac restarted it pressed options. The Mac saw Time machine. After Clicking Time machine I was given option of Clean install. so I took that.

It did not go well at first. Apparently a kernel was stopping the new install. But what did happen. I went into disk utility. Something new: Erase tab was Now Lit in Fusion drive. So I Erased it.
Went through the whole process once more. Pleased as punch. now I am writing this on it

Edit: Spelling : I should engage the brain more before I hit enter

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you accomplished your mission Nightcleaner. I'm trying to decide whether to replace my MBP 2012 with either a new iMac or a new MBP. Leaning more and more towards the iMac since I do not need portability.

if cost is a factor at all second hand ones are plenty full. I am speaking from my own experience mind you. The later the year the better the upgrade-ability

give you an idea what they are second hand in UK www.gumtree.com/Bournemouth Open for sale tab chose computers & write IMAC

I went away from the Windows world over 15 years ago, and have never regretted my choice of OS's. I'm not trashing Windows, it is a good OS, just not for me.

Fortunately, cost is not a factor me. My Mac's (present and past ones) I have bought new. Plus I have a plethora of spare parts for when they are out of warranty and need a screen\fan\keyboard\etc.. Add to the fact that I can get a 10% discount on any Mac I purchase and it really is a no brainer for me. But thank you for the info you supplied. It is greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom