Future McIntosh Designs?

Hello fellow McIntosh enthusiasts. I am a new convert to McIntosh and have noticed some changes to the design of recent McIntosh components. First there was the switch to fiber optic illumination which I think is a good idea. Now there is this new 3D style glass. However, it seems these improvements are only available on the very high end of the lineup. Does McIntosh plan to incorporate these features across the entire lineup in the future or will this simply be used to split the lineup in two? As far as the fiber optic backlighting is concerned, will they just wait until replacement models are introduced that offer this or will they make changes to current offerings (such as the MR85 tuner) while still in production? I wouldn't really want to wait for a replacement MR86 just to have this. Regarding the new 3D glass, do you think they will offer a tuner or preamp using it any time soon? Yeah, I'm big on having things match.

Twinbrook,

The three piece glass face works on some models but not all. If the model has many buttons like a pre or integrated amp it will not work.
The width of the center section on the 3D models also varies with the MC501 having a wider center section. The end caps on all of the models line up so they are a match as far as we are concerned. The MDA1000 looks correct setting on the MX134/MX135 or the C2200 as an example. Some new models will have flat glass and some will not.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks Ron. Will the fiber optic illumination make it across the entire lineup at some point or will it just be used to differenciate the "low-end" from the high-end? Just wondering if it be added mid-production to any current models or if it is something that will only appear when a new replacement model arrives?

Have you seen the LED replacement bulbs on eBay that are supposed to work with older McIntosh components? Just wondering if they worthwhile as they are expensive. Thanks!

Last edited:
Phil,

All new and future models will be fiber-optic lit. For the older models they will need bulb replacement every so often, just like every other device and lamp that uses incandescent light bulbs.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom