FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

Tone controls are a must with me, that's why I like my Yamaha dac/pre, I have MusicCast set up on my smartphone and control all settings on the fly right from my phone. It's so nice and convenient.
If you really want tone controls -- have you considered Schiit's Loki?

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

loki-mini-front-1920.jpg

Oh Yeah, regarding that Sure TA2024 in my setup: I slagged it off about 20 pages back (on the TPA vs Tripath thread), but I rescind those criticisms. The amp now sounds super.

There is definitely some gain with this pre-amp.
I would expect it to sound more "directly transparent" without the path clutter of the tone stage. I have yet to encounter a preamp in my limited experience that didn't, or that many preamps that were inherently transparent.

Tube preamps can add warmth and lushness and although class d amps like the TPA's already have a bit of tube flavor a little more is always welcomed.

I'm trying the $100+ Astron linear regulated psu instead of the $30 Pyramid linear regulated psu and it sounds wonderful powering the FX. Does it sound better than the Pyramid? Maybe but not enough to justify the cost difference.

It looks better since unlike the Pyramid it's connections are on the back.

P1010014.jpg

Running out of space I moved the Topping D30 below next to the Niles switch box and on top of the diy Dayton sub not used with this system.

P1010002.jpg

A common 3 amp regulated transformer brick supply is more than enough for the FX, if it's rated at 12VDC.

Back
Top Bottom