FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

If you really want tone controls -- have you considered Schiit's Loki?

http://www.schiit.com/products/loki

loki-mini-front-1920.jpg

I have looked into that. Steve Guttenberg at CNET loves this unit. I like the Yamaha I have because I can adjust on the fly via smart phone. I can even adjust the subwoofer gain. Its pretty sweet and convenient.

So 12 amps is okay? I don't understand all these different power supplies and what to get.
For the power amps, yes. The preamps don't need a lot.
The power amps like current capacity at their spec'ed power rated supply voltage.

Last edited:
More amps from a linear regulated ps is a good thing as it means you have more options. While 12 amps aren't required for a preamp or a DAC they certainly don't hurt and offer an advantage when used with an amplifier.

The active component (amplifier or what have you) will only draw the current it requires from the P/S at any given instant. The more capacity in reserve from the P/S, the better, assuming the P/S is fairly well regulated and the DC it delivers* is clean.

so i was about to order the fx audio pre but i see that there are two models, one with bass and treble knobs. any suggestions on which is preferred sound wise?

so i was about to order the fx audio pre but i see that there are two models, one with bass and treble knobs. any suggestions on which is preferred sound wise?

I'm not a big fan of tone controls as they add additional circuity but some folks like them. The tone control models cost a little more.

Back in the day when they were more common running them flat always sounded best to my ears.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of tone controls as they add additional circuity but some folks like them. The tone control models cost a little more.

Back in the day when they were more common running them flat always sounded best to my ears.
not only im with you on that, but i also just picked up a schiit loki to try with headphones (its a different use case that speakers, tone controls can possibly come in handy in tuning a set of headphones to ones liking, im trying it for the first time) so i will get the model without tone controls.

any chance one of ya'll has tried this other one?

i kinda wanna get this one for coemstic reasons but im afrand that it will be a lemon, it probably is the same thing but i wish there was a way to make sure:
Sorry...this will have to be posted in Dollars and Sense.

Last edited by a moderator:
any chance one of ya'll has tried this other one?

i kinda wanna get this one for coemstic reasons but im afrand that it will be a lemon, it probably is the same thing but i wish there was a way to make sure:

It is nice looking with the gold tube dressings. Probably identical to all the other 6j1's. It's located in China and some items can take awhile to reach the US but I've had occasions when it didn't take long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of these under the brand name Dilvpoetry. Same pre I have to assume. I went with GE JAN 5654's and the sound was improved a LOT. Also ran a pair of NOS Tung Sols that were a little darker, but the amount of nice tone was worth it. Slap one of these on a SMSL SA98E and you've got a nice sounding little stack with plenty of power.

This tube pre looks well designed. Way better than the other tube options in the sub 100 price range. Swapping caps looks like it wouldn't be too hard to do either...

Back
Top Bottom