FX Audio 6j1 tube preamp - a $31 wonder

This tube pre looks well designed. Way better than the other tube options in the sub 100 price range. Swapping caps looks like it wouldn't be too hard to do either...
If you happen to have a pictures of the innards on this pre, I would love to see it. because I was not able to find any pictures.

If you happen to have a pictures of the innards on this pre, I would love to see it. because I was not able to find any pictures.

You should be able to find a bunch, just google and go to images. The pre uses a dc buck converter, i think that helps with better voltage regulation and lack of hum. Probably generates some noise but evidently not enough to be noticeable. Probably also why an astron isn’t noticeably better than pyramid, but swapping caps should be a mild upgrade.

yup you're right, there is one on amazon, i guess i searched the wrong thing before:

61GwqDmsAyL._SL1000_.jpg

I've given in to peer pressure. :D
email says "order confirmed".
Now my linear supply has renewed purpose!

il_340x270.1548550439_3ixg.jpg

Just wondering - what amplifier gain setting are you guys using with FX Audio pre ?

vintage 5654, 6AK5, EF95 and WE 403B substitutes
I'm a tube noob. Poultry, is there a reputable online retailer for these tubes ?

[Edit]... do these circuits need heaps of hours on them before it all comes good ?

Last edited:
I buy vintage ( not new ) tubes from eBay sellers with high feedback scores. They're usually cheaper than from dealers and you have recourse with eBay. You don't have to buy NOS ( new old stock ) tubes which can be pricey. Used vintage preamp tubes that test good can last a lifetime and they don't require a period of burn-in.

My FX sounded great right out of the box.

I buy vintage ( not new ) tubes from eBay sellers with high feedback scores. They're usually cheaper than from dealers and you have recourse with eBay. You don't have to buy NOS ( new old stock ) tubes which can be pricey. Used vintage preamp tubes that test good can last a lifetime and they don't require a period of burn-in.
My FX sounded great right out of the box.

Thanks for the heads up Poultly. I am as curious about this FX audio setup as i was with the TA2020 amp that i ordered. Very much looking forward to it.
Its a good thing that the layout of the RCA sockets (inputs on the left) work for my config. The current interconnects are all solid core and trimmed to length. Should fit.

I highly recommend a vacuum tube pin straightener for anyone getting into tubes.

Cheers man. I'll be looking for one of those too.

-- on a different note --

Merry Christmas to everyone!

It seems that there is a different version of this tube pre.
Different etching on the face plate 0:48
Different capacitors next to the DC socket 1:10

Merry Christmas everyone. Well I got the FX audio preamp with tone controls. It works, and sounds good. The only problem I have is that the left tube is leaning to one side. It looks like they didn't center the hole in the case and tried to compensate because if you were to lean the tube back to vertical it would hit the case. Kind of disappointed to be honest. I think I'm going to return it and try another.

Merry Christmas everyone. Well I got the FX audio preamp with tone controls. It works, and sounds good. The only problem I have is that the left tube is leaning to one side. It looks like they didn't center the hole in the case and tried to compensate because if you were to lean the tube back to vertical it would hit the case. Kind of disappointed to be honest. I think I'm going to return it and try another.

I think I'd take a look inside. Maybe you can level the board inside the case. If the tube socket is crooked I would send it back.

Back
Top Bottom