G-4500 Pure Power

Discussion in 'Exclusively Sansui' started by BobEDigital, Oct 28, 2017.

1. BobEDigital

BobEDigital New Member

So, I've got this beautiful unit that I've recapped and relit; but, with a sledge gut problem. It seems to go 0-100 on the volume. As in it is very loud and 9:00 and ridiculously loud at noon. I've tried all kinds of different inputs in all the different sources and still have this issue. Is this how the amp is designed? Just seems like no headroom or space for enjoyable listening levels.

2. Decibel_116

Decibel_116 Electron Commander Subscriber

Did the volume potentiometer get replaced at some point? It sounds like someone has replaced it with a regular "linear" potentiometer instead of an "Audio taper" style, which is another name for a logarithmic type.

3. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Just listen to it early in the morning.:biggrin:

Hyperion, bandg69 and Blue Shadow like this.
  4. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

That may be normal for this receiver if you are using efficient speakers. It's likely to have a very aggressive audio taper volume control. It's a trick that audio manufactures use to make people think their amp has more power than it actually has. In other words, a small amount of rotation gives a disproportionately large increase in volume.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

5. petehall347

petehall347 the brandy coffee man

too hot an input might be to blame .

Hyperion likes this.
  6. LBPete

LBPete Rolling Along Subscriber

Good point Pete! BobEdigital, are you feeding it with the earbud jack of a phone or headphone jack of a computer? If so, turn down the volume on the phone or computer.

- Pete

7. Brooklynwgtn

Brooklynwgtn Active Member

Hello, my G-4500 at normal listening i run at 2.5 on the dial, very really do i even need to crank it up to 5. The speakers I am running are Polk RT800s the sensitivity is 90db.

8. Bahamayellow

Bahamayellow Active Member

Hello great receiver as I have one also with some monitor audio speakers and my volume also goes up quickly