g-5000 will not power up, previously running fine

pauld5999

Any information on what to initially look for on a g-5000 that is not powering up?

The unit was bought used a few months ago, used not heavily and when I went to power it up the other day I got nothing.

I understand this is pretty vague but just looking to see if there are any quick/easy initial checks I should make before having someone else with technical knowledge look into it?

Thanks

Correct, no lights or anything, I will check the fuses

It is doing this with nothing hooked up to it as well, thank you for the suggestion
If a fuse blew, it blew for a reason. Sometimes a fuse blows for inrush current when the receiver powers up, but sometimes the speaker wires come loose at one end and short. Usually this blows the output stage and the fuse then blows. You just want to be sure that the wires aren't shorted when you power it back up again after replacing the fuse. If the fuse blows instantly, there are probably blown output transistors.

finally getting time to get back to this, got the fuses out and running to get new ones today to start there; they all look visually fine/intact. I realized that this issue came up the first time I tried to power this unit up when plugged into a new cheap power strip (which is still in use and given no other issues), not sure if there can be any connection to that and the not powering up issue

does not seem to be a fuse issue but I did notice that there is a very light "burn" type spot on the inside of the wooden case above the pl-702 (8v 0.3A pilot lamp) and the bulb is black. Is there a possibility that that could be causing the unit to not power up?

It has nothing to do with the power strip. The mark on the case may are may not be connected. When you say it's "not powering up," no lights, no clicks, no nothing? What fuses did you check, the ones on the boards under the wooden cover? There also may be fuse holder on the back or sides of the unit. They will have a cap that needs to be unscrewed.

Please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

ok, thanks; correct, no lights no clicks, nothing. I checked the 4 fuses I could find on the main board, I did not see any others but will check again, thanks

ok, thanks; correct, no lights no clicks, nothing. I checked the 4 fuses I could find on the main board, I did not see any others but will check again, thanks

Check the fuses with a meter - not visually - fuses can blow and appear to be ok. - make sure the ratings of any replacements are correct - refer to the Service Manual. ;)

Also the cheap power strip might have made an intermittant connection and pulsed/spiked the mains power to the unit, blowing fuses or more likely semiconductors - hence the now dead unit.

Last edited:
Check the fuses with a meter - not visually - fuses can blow and appear to be ok. - make sure the ratings of any replacements are correct - refer to the Service Manual. ;)

Also the cheap power strip might have made an intermittant connection and pulsed/spiked the mains power to the unit, blowing fuses or more likely semiconductors - hence the now dead unit.

I double checked the fuses with a meter and all are OK both the ones that were already in there and the equally rated replacements I tried as well

Is there anything I can do/measurements I can take to try and judge if it is a semiconductor issue and or any other possible issues? Thanks for the help!

check and see if your switched outlet works with something small like a lamp with a 40 watt bulb or something along those lines.... plug in your tester and then push the power button and see if that is working..

If the power switch is working, time to move down stream. Do you have a multimeter? Check for A/C voltage at the fuses to see if you have output from the transformer.

- Pete

If the power switch is working, time to move down stream. Do you have a multimeter? Check for A/C voltage at the fuses to see if you have output from the transformer.

- Pete

thanks again for the advice, I do have a multimeter, just checked the fuses for AC voltage and do not appear to be getting anything

So there's no voltage at the fuses when measuring with one lead on the fuse and the other on the metal chassis? There is not much in this circuit between the power switch and the fuses. Is the voltage selector in place and correctly set? It usually has a plug that is moved to different positions to select the input voltage. Is the plug in place and set to 115v?

- Pete

Attachments

• G5000 transformer.pdf
    238.8 KB · Views: 7
I was measuring it incorrectly, I am getting a reading at the 125V, 6a fuse but not at any of the other 3 250V, 1a fuses

How much is it reading? How much voltage? The 125v fuse should be F 604. That's the fuse for the main power into the transformer. The three 250v fuses are the outputs from the transformer. If there is no power at those fuses, either the transformer isn't working or the wires into or out of the transformer are disconnected. Please post pictures of the power selector and the connections from the transformer to the circuit boards.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom