G-6000 Goes into protection mode

madspec

Hi,

I am having an issue with my amp, it goes into protection for some strange reason. If I crank the volume pass 4, it flicks and then no sound. What I have noticed is both power view meters are at max when it goes into protection mode.

What I tried;

- Changed speakers, mine was rated 6ohms so I changed them for some 8ohms -> No change
- Tested all outputs ( A/B- Phono, Tape, Tuner, Aux) -> Does the same thing on each of them
- Tested with headphones -> No change

I am no tech so I don't have access to fancy equipment. I will test the DC OFFSET tonight, ECHOWARS did explain how so I guess it's easy enough for me to do.

The guy who sold it to me showed me an invoice for about 400$ in parts changed, all transistors and a couple of other things that I can't understand :)

Any one else here ever had this kinda problem ??

Thanks

Yes, my Dads G6000 does that exact same thing recently. I will have to take it out of cabinet to see what's going on. I'll be checking the usual first, dc offset - bias etc. I do know that the mute switch is a common problem for the G series as it can cause one channel to drop out or lower output in one channel. I'll clean all switches as well.

Let us know what you find.

You need to check and set the bias and then the offset, unless the pots are original and also need deoxit or replaced, there is a service manual on here on how to do this procedure and the specs that need set

Well....I did adjust the offset to about -3mv on both side. Then I tried adjusting the BIAS and the left channel would not adjust. I took out the board and I saw that it had been poorly repaired and something just blew up in the board. Will try to get it fixed...I hope the tech is able too cause I can't find a F-2856 board anywhere. It does play, but left channel is distorting like hell and it still goes into protection pretty fast.

Attachments

• 20180205_125810.jpg
    20180205_125810.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 23
A G-6000, when in good repair, can be a stunning receiver. I had one backstage, at the theater where I worked, for 12 + years, with various speakers. I was always getting complements on how well it would fill the whole backstage with wonderful sound. Mine finally died. One day, it worked fine, the next day it would not power on. It is in the pile of receivers that I have getting ready for repair. My Sansui Model 8 will come first. I hope you can get yours back on its feet again.

Back
Top Bottom