G-6700 and AR3a

yoho

What’s going to happen if I try to run AR3as with a 4 ohm impedance with my G-6700? Will it really be too much for it?

You can probably get away with it if the volume levels are low / reasonable, but if you like to 'crank it' with bass at max and 'loudness' switch set to 'on' - forget it.

If you are going to use it at reasonable (low-ish) volume, be sure to monitor the heatsink temperature every 5-10 minutes or so. If it gets uncomfortable to keep your hand on it for more than a few seconds that's probably too hot, and you should rethink your speaker choice.

I use my AR3A with AU 919, up to now without (known to me ) problems. Should I be concerned ?

8080 is rated to four ohms. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure about the AU-919 being 4 ohm rated, but I'm thinking it is. No Sansui receiver after the G9000 was 4 ohm rated however, to my knowledge. This means the G-x700 series, x900Z series and everything else after that (1982 on) were only officially safe down to 8 ohms. Be careful, It'd be a real shame to blow a G-6700 (or an AU-919 for that matter).

I don’t think so, if those are the only speakers hooked up to it. The Sansui au919 is 100w at 8 ohms and 8080 only 80w per channel. I know that on the back of the Sansui G-6700 it says only use 8 ohm speakers but with the Sansui 8080 it recommends (on the back of the unit as well) only one pair of 4 ohm speakers like the AR3as.

Older receivers (G9000 series and back) were typically rated for minimum of 4 ohm load. This was done to accomodate two sets of 8 ohm speakers, as many models supported two, or even three, pairs of speakers. Two pairs at 8 ohms run concurrently presents a 4 ohm load to the amp, as the speaker outputs are run in parallel and this halves the impedance of two sets of speakers that are 8 ohm. Two pair of 16 ohm speakers (admittedly not a common configuration since the 60's) would present an 8 ohm load under similar circumstances.

Of course, if you have one pair of 4 ohm speakers, you can run only that one pair on an amp that is 4 ohm rated. Two pairs of 4 ohm speakers would present a 2 ohm load, and you will definitely smoke an amp with that. This is also the reason an amp that allows attachment of 3 pairs of speakers still only lets you run two pair at the same time, and not all 3 at once.

Many newer receivers and amps now run the speaker outputs in series, which sums, rather than halving, the impedance. This has the effect of reducing output power however as it doubles the impedance, assuming both pairs are the same impedance to begin with.

Last edited:
Not familiar with the Dynaco, so can't comment on that combo. Hopefully someone can chime in here with a yay or nay.

Is there anything I need to be aware of when using the AR3as with the Sansui 8080?
How loud are you listening to the music? The AR speakers are not particularly sensitive, so not only are they a low impedance load, they need a little bit of horsepower as well.
If you are listening at lower to medium levels, you will be fine using either the 8080 or the G6700.
However if you like to crank it up, you might run out of headroom rather quickly. The 6700 has over-current protection so it will let you know if you have gone too far as it will click into protection mode.

Will the 8080 be more able to accommodate lower impedance levels than the G-6700?
I think you will have people telling you the 8080 is better, but technically either one will be fine for average listening levels.

What if I want to go above average listening levels once in awhile? Which amp is best for forays into loudness?

What if I want to go above average listening levels once in awhile? Which amp is best for forays into loudness?
They have about the same power output, the 6700 about 5watts more.....There's really nothing in it.
either one, take your pick...

The 8080 is rated for 4 ohms, G-6700 is not. It actually recommends not using 4 ohm speakers on the G-6700 unit itself.

The 8080 is rated for 4 ohms, G-6700 is not. It actually recommends not using 4 ohm speakers on the G-6700 unit itself.
Well then use the 8080, why are you asking if you already know the answer?
Nonsense, that you can't use 4Ω speakers with the 6700, I have two here for repair and restoration at the moment, they can easily run up on my 4Ω load bank.
I think Sansui say this because at high levels they cannot guarantee thermal management and stability. If you know what you are doing you can use it like I said before, this is why I mentioned running it at lower levels.

I agree with you, it’s merely a scare tactic. Sansui trying to reach its audience with the brawny 4 ohm rated 8080 and the elegant lines of and 8 ohm speaker only warning on the. G-6700. They should both be able to support a 4 ohm load but I’m wary with the G-6700. I’ve lived with the G-6700 longer, so it’s a beautiful old friend and the 8080 a new acquaintance. We shall see, I just want something to safely and effectively drive my newly acquired AR3as.

Back
Top Bottom