G-7700 came today!

so it was made April '79?

=yeah pretty much all my audio stuff is older then me (except for the new HT stuff)

the oldest being my KLH 17's at 35 years old or so ('69)

well, 3 days and not a single problem, I am surprised, as I bought it with the right channel being bad, and cut out then come back in

it's killing me though, all this PURE POWER (mmmm love it) and they are running a pair of KLH model 17's right now, nice little spekaers (best I have next to the L100's) but unlike the L100's they don't have an unlimited wattage rating, and just flat out crank :( (actualy for a 35 year old 2-way, 10" first generation Acoustic Suspension design with the tweeter crossing at 1.5khz, they perform very nice, I have no complaints for them, just wish I had a orignal pair and not a mixed pair :( oh well, $30 at the Salvation Army)

NW

Have you connected the L100's to them?

BTW - Your receiver looks really nice on the top of the page :)

Chris

Originally posted by ckelly
NW

Have you connected the L100's to them?

BTW - Your receiver looks really nice on the top of the page :)

Chris

no, not yet, I don't wnat to becuase so far on the spekaers I have hooked up to the Sansui, it ios the best I ever heard out of each spekaer (meaning the Sansui is some good stuff) and I don't want to hook the L100's yet becuase both tweeters are shot, and although if I crank the tebal up, the LE502 (midrange) can take the upper octaves, I figured, if I am going to bother moving 90lbs. of Kenwood rec. on my tight to work on shelf and go through the trouble of doing all that, atleast do it when my spekaers are all fixed and working. so I have been using the KLH model 17's

yeah, I think the 7700 really adds a special touch to AK :D just got done clenaing it, and now hat I look at the face plate, I saw smuges and stuff, and I got my shirt to clean it, and it was on the other side (becuase it was fine, I hit my finger on it, so I clenaed it again, but didn't do a good job) so I am not going to pull it apart now, and just said frig it. but that's only when you go real close to it, but yeah, I really like the 7700 (I am not hooked on Sansui, and want more G series rec. like the G-9700 :D )

not hooked on sansui?

Get another receiver/amp... and you'll become hoplessly addicted :D

I forgot your JBL's are broken... bummer :( - I bet they would really sing with the G-7700

Also... seing you're beginning to collect lots of stuff, you might consider a switching unit. :p

Chris

"but unlike the L100's they don't have an unlimited wattage rating"

L100's have an unlimited wattage rating? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Originally posted by Night Wolf
... but unlike the L100's they don't have an unlimited wattage rating....

Night Wolf

You can feed an L100 lots of watts but not as many as infinite, here is part of the specs of the L100, taken from Don McR's excellent site (www.lansingheritage.org). According to the spec book on the L100, they can take up to 150W RMS (which is a lot anyways):

not hooked on sansui?

Get another receiver/amp... and you'll become hoplessly addicted :D

I forgot your JBL's are broken... bummer :( - I bet they would really sing with the G-7700

Also... seing you're beginning to collect lots of stuff, you might consider a switching unit. :p

Chris

yeah, I now want to et the G-9700 which is TOTL, and alot of the other big G's

yeah, I am sooooooooo pissed at myself, I missed a pair of LE25-2 end for $36, I was watching it at 30min. left, and I am like, no I will wiat until it is closer to end, and I was doing something else (clenaing the Sansui actualy, lol) and by the time I rememberd it was too late, and I missed it by like 2 min.

there is a real mint pair on ebay right now (I mean dust caps aren't even damaged, and that's rare on the LE25-2) $66/pair right now, so by the time I end up getting it, I am looking at $100 or so, I am so pissed, but what am I going to do? I was seriously thinking about getting newer Vifa's, but I want to keep my L100's orignal (drvier wise) I had 1 tweeter that worked, and when I tried it again, it's dead, so I don't know what happend (the one that still worked had actual cone damage though) I will still keep my orignal, that way if in the future I get all the drivers reconed, I can say I run the orignal drivers :)

yeah, I think the L100's will really do good with the 7700

I have a switch box, I have JBL N24 in the back of my room, and I have that going to a switch box, becuase they are the rear spekaers in my cheap HT system, but I also have the box going to my Kenwood KR-8010 so I can either use the N24's for backround music, as rear channels in stereo (with L100's in front) so since I have my computer connected to my 8010's I can stream MP3's and use either the L100's (well, when they are fixed) or the N24's

I am kinda attached to all my gear, and just can't seem to part with any of it, that's why I am not selling it, I proably have $400+ in just stuff I don't use, but I like it all, it looks nice, and at one point or another, wach unit was used in my main system. but I really don't have a need, I mean each TA-2650 is a little inte. amp @ 45wpc, no pre-our/power in, the KA-1500 is 20wpc with no pre-our/power in, so unless I was to make a second system, which I don't have the room or need to, I have no reason to run them, my ST-3950 tuner is nice, if I had a use for it (I use the tuners in my rec) but I just can't part with everything

do you know I still have my very first "main" system (meaning what I got after the first Aiwa mini-system, which was a CX-NA115)?

JVC RX-318
KLH 9912
1988 Sharp CD-100 or something like that
5 band ADC eq.
some other odds and ends

yep, it's all in my closet, the JVC is OK, 110wpc (actualy 90 or so though) push-pull design, but not my type, real small caps, and when I got my first TA-2650, that just killed the JVC (I got the RX-318 becuase I "accidentlt" won the auction on ebay, I didn't really want it but I won it, the tone knob was puched at one point, and cracked the circuit board behind the face plate, so my dad got the user and service manual and spent countless hours at night fixing it for me (end up bridging alot of wires) and I still have that

my KLH 9912's I got when Best Buy first opend, I actualy planed on selling the RX-318 to make some money off it, but between my dad spending all the time fixing it, and I kinda reall got attached to it, I saw the ad in BB for KLH 9912, I didn't really know about audio, other then these spekaers were 3-way with a 12" woofer and $80/pair new. so I got a pair, surely they are not the best, but c'mon $80/pair new, there are no complaints, I spent countless nights cranking away my JVC with those 9912's and about 4 partys when I brought the system on our porch (has a room) and had my mixer and 2 portable cdp and just kept playing music, man those 9912's would just keep on going even when the JVC was driven past clipping levles. then I got the TA-2650, sound alot better, and was good on power too, belive it or not, I clipped the Sony, and fried a tweeter (and after all the abuse with the JVC) so I found a open box pair of 9912's at BB for $34 and 1 cabinate had a broken piece of the case on the top, so I picked them up, and repalced the tweeters

the Sharp cdp was made in 1988, and skipped pretty eas, ntohing real special, but I liked it for some unknown reason, it's at my dad's now, but dons't work as I have to manualy clean the lens every other time i put a cd in to play it, that was replaced by a 5 disc Sony made in 1989 and that is at my dad's also, and that's what I use in the little cheap system there.

wow, now that's a novel :D

Night Wolf

You can feed an L100 lots of watts but not as many as infinite, here is part of the specs of the L100, taken from Don McR's excellent site (www.lansingheritage.org). According to the spec book on the L100, they can take up to 150W RMS (which is a lot anyways):

I know, I have the manual, that's just what JBL says, as it is, I crank the system with 250wpc RMS, hold on though I am looking for something that states something about the power output.

Originally posted by THOR
"but unlike the L100's they don't have an unlimited wattage rating"

L100's have an unlimited wattage rating? :eek: :confused: :eek:

Thor, I was saying that in a general figure, i mean sure your not going to run 1000wpc to them, but with my amps, I end up clipping the amps before there is any sign of stress from the spekaer.

here is a quote from the 1974 Stereo Review, review of the L100:

"When we first listened to the JBL L100 we recognized that it was something out of the ordinary. The smoothness and lack of coloration were unmistakable. The L100 can take power-we drove the test units with an amplifier that delivered 400 watts on peaks with no damage to the speakers or our sonic sensabilities. The JBL L100 ranks with the most accurate speakers we have tested-certainly no other has been better."

so what they are saying, that with 400watts peak, 1) it did not damage the drivers in any way and 2) if did not harm the music by adding distortion, which means that the L100's play as crisp, loud and clear at these excessive volumes (about 96db/1watt/1m) as they can at moderate and lower volumes, and trust me, when it's cranking, unlike every other spekaer I have heard, that get's killed at these loud volumes, especaly in bass and detial and without getting real harsh, you can still find the slightest detial or the most backround thing in the music as lower volume, the bass is still extremly tight and control etc... it's just at a louder volume, that is one of the many reasons the L100 is known for, it was popular with everyone, people that wanted to crital listen and/or flat out crank the system now can on the same system, engineers used them all the time for their detial and trasnparency and music legends (such as Eiddie Kramer (sp) used them to master Jimi Hendrix music and Les Paul, the guy who invented the electric gutair and muti-track recording, bother just 2 examples of well-known music legions that used the L100 as their spekaer of choice, and clearly guys like Les Paul could use whatever spekaer they wanted and they choose the L100)

I have the whole L100 review if your interested in it

KLH 17's

Watch the wattage to those 17's they are only rated to about 45 watts. The tweeters fry really easy. I have an all original pair bought by my dad in 69. I have all the lit. and sale receipt for them.

I always liked them on older solid state but was missing something on newer SS gear. I was told they were voiced for tubes. Well this weekend I got the opportunity to give Grumpy's MC240 a check out. So I dug out the 17's and you would not believe what they sound like on tube gear. I couldn't believe what I was hearing out them.

Wish I had the money for that MAC.. guess I go back to looking for a project Fisher.

X

Re: KLH 17's

Originally posted by Punker X
Watch the wattage to those 17's they are only rated to about 45 watts. The tweeters fry really easy. I have an all original pair bought by my dad in 69. I have all the lit. and sale receipt for them.

I always liked them on older solid state but was missing something on newer SS gear. I was told they were voiced for tubes. Well this weekend I got the opportunity to give Grumpy's MC240 a check out. So I dug out the 17's and you would not believe what they sound like on tube gear. I couldn't believe what I was hearing out them.

Wish I had the money for that MAC.. guess I go back to looking for a project Fisher.

X

yeah the 17's can't take much power, and they are not party spekaers or anything, that is why i can't wait to get my L100's going to I can really test out the Sansui

the woofers in the 17's have a very violent way of telling you they are being over-driven, they don't just distort, but go from sounding normal, to this really loud, and bad sounding "ripping" sound, that is when I know I went too far, and yeah the tweets can be cooked asy at the crossover is 1.5k (I heard people actuly make the tweeter in the 6 bottem out becuase that crosses at 1khz)

but they are very nice spekaers, for some reason, Pink Floyd sounds really good on them, mine are not setup good or anything, just on my shelf, in the corner of the room (which helps on bass) and all I do is run the Sansui with loudness on, and they are real nice.

these are the kind of spekaers that would proably go real well with a tube amp (like you have mentioned) and either music that dosn't require pounding bass, or if the listenr does not feel the need for the deep bass, as they have a natural roll off of 40-50hz or soemthing, but the bass is very controls and acurate (designed by Henry Kloss, who invented the Acoustic Suspension design)

I notice, even when playing at louder volumes, the woofers don't move much, and mine are weird, the fabric surrond are inverted

I run mine with the high frequency control on the back set to increase

but yeah, I am sure they do sound nice on a quality tube amp

Back
Top Bottom