G-8000 Popping Noise

EchoWars, fortunately this is so beyond my skill base that there is no chance it will ever happen but thank you so much for the warning and Happy Holidays! However, I would like to know what the Input FET is. I've already learned so much from you guys that I'm starting to feel pretty dangerous.

There's a 6-legged IC at the top of the board that says 'Sony'. That's the dual JFET, used as the input differential pair for the power amp.

Just wanted to post the happy news that the G-801 is back from Abell Audio and it is wonderful. Dan Abell worked on it himself (apparently he always does the Sansuis because he has a soft spot for them, works for me!) and he found a bad transistor on the driver board along with 3 relays that were flakey. Anyway, it's awesome, it's in the living room driving my 901s and my wife is complaining because it's so huge. What to do, wife or G?

So in the meantime I've been attempting to teach myself electronics repair and have made some progress but obviously have quite a way to go. There was no way I was going to practice on the 801. I recently completed an SC-1110 that just needed belts and lubrication. An amazingly clean unit. Now I've got a G-4500 project that has me a bit baffled. But I suppose I should start a new post for that one. Thanks for all the help and advise gang.

Jeff

EchoWars, fortunately this is so beyond my skill base that there is no chance it will ever happen but thank you so much for the warning and Happy Holidays! However, I would like to know what the Input FET is. I've already learned so much from you guys that I'm starting to feel pretty dangerous.
Hi Jeff,
I also am the proud owner of a G-8000 and it too, was missing one of the box covers. The one that was still there had three approximately 5/8" holes in the top of it. I managed to fabricate a matching one out of 26 gauge steel. Now after reading this entire thread, I am wondering if the missing one is not supposed to have those holes in it. Would you happen to know the answer to this? What did you do about your missing cover?
Thanks in advance.
Larry

Actually, what I learned about the covers, and I don't quite recall where, is that the left driver board is not supposed to have a cover. Or rather, it doesn't need one. The right driver has the cover for shielding. The left doesn't need the cover for shielding but of course the box is still there because it houses the card.

Jeff

Hi Je
Actually, what I learned about the covers, and I don't quite recall where, is that the left driver board is not supposed to have a cover. Or rather, it doesn't need one. The right driver has the cover for shielding. The left doesn't need the cover for shielding but of course the box is still there because it houses the card.

Jeff
Hi Jeff, thank you so much for that. I tried searching for pictures of that area inside the G-8000 hoping to see what was there originally but so far have not found any. Now I just need to decide if it would hurt anything if I put a cover on that box. Logic tells me that if Sansui did not put one there, then leave it as Sansui intended.
Thanks again for the quick response.
Larry

Looking straight on at both my G-8000 and G-9000 units with the case covers off the driver boards on the right side have covers while the left do not and never did have covers. The boxes are identical on both sides but the boxes on the left side have the same screw holes where the shield cover would be attached but none of the holes have ever had a screw in them and the original black paint is in tact where as with the right side the shield cover has two screws on top and one on each side. I am doing some dusting and cleaning of both units getting them ready for sale and found this interesting, cover on the right driver board and no cover on the left and I don't have a clue as to why. Maybe one of the techs here can answer that but I suspect the right side has the fuse board directly behind it so this might be the reason the right side has the shielding cover. I really do wish Sansui had used better quality switches and pots on these units. Both my G-8000 and G-9000 work and sound great after all these years but every couple of years the pots and switches must be cleaned and they are a real PITA to get to.

I have just searched for images of G-8000 & G-9000 - and every picture I looked at showed both driver board covers present.

G_8000-3.jpg

Sansui+G-8000+inside.JPG

I have just searched for images of G-8000 & G-9000 - and every picture I looked at showed both driver board covers present.

G_8000-3.jpg

Sansui+G-8000+inside.JPG

I guess I am missing something! Your top photo shows only the left driver board with a cover and the bottom photo shows both sides without covers. I have my G-9000 open right now for cleaning and it has never had anything done to it but it sure does not have a cover or ever did on the left side driver board. I'll be happy to email you a picture if you like but I am not set up here for posting them.

I have just seen what you mean !!! - I have been looking at the box with the holes in the top - not realising that there is a cover on the opposite side held on by 2 (?) screws - I see it now. :)

If this is really common, I am guessing they never got fitted at the factory?

Are they 'handed' by any chance? LH & RH - maybe someone forgot to order both types :idea:

Last edited:
I have just seen what you mean !!! - I have been looking at the box with the holes in the top - not realising that there is a cover on the opposite side held on by 2 (?) screws - I see it now. :)

If this is really common, I am guessing they never got fitted at the factory?

Are they 'handed' by any chance? LH & RH - maybe someone forgot to order both types :idea:

The driver boards themselves are in metal boxes which you have circled. The boxes are the same on both sides so the cover you show on the left side would also fit on the right. I would bet someone was inside this unit and replaced the cover on the wrong side since both of my units only ever had one side with a cover and both are the right side.

From earlier discussion.

I just put this one on the NY Craig's list and already have 2 calls on it. I will not ship a receiver this size which does limit me to the local area but back when I first joined this forum I did by a couple of these off the auction site and both arrived damaged or not as described. I don't much care if I sell it or the G-8000 because I still can listen to each of them in their systems but we had to jump up to more current units that have the 5.1 surround connections with HDMI and more recent cables for watching DVD movies. Onkyo won that search and I just wish I had room for all the good stuff with the new stuff.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/ele/6058389003.html

Back
Top Bottom