G 9000 or G 9700 ??

Shain

I'm considering upgrading from my 9090DB, to a G 9000, or maybe a G 9700.

Which is preferable and why??

Or maybe a G 901 ?

Thanks for any help ! :)

"I'm considering upgrading from my 9090DB, to a G 9000, or maybe a G 9700."

I've got to ask... What makes you think that would be upgrading? Because of more watts? Not to knock the G Lovers, but I've spoken to some pretty reliable sources who've said the G's weren't built with the same quality & craftsmanship as the 9090DB's.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm sticking with my 9090DB's, but to each his own.

Moon

Hey Moon,

It's like this... I've had several smaller Sansuis, several 9090DB's and of course, like them.

The 9090DB I have now is super...

BUT, ......I need a change.

Instead of a new wife, .... or new job....how about a different Sansui ??

What's the difference in the G 9000, and the G 901 ?

Shain, the scuttlebutt I've 'heard' around is that the G-901 series was Euro-oriented, and that it has a bit "better" sound. Dunno, myself.
I had the G-9700, gorgeous, and good-sounding, too. BUT, if I were looking for a Sansui receiver now, I'd hold out for either the G-901 or its USA counterpart, the G-9000. Just something about those 160 wpc receivers I really like.
That group are the acme as far as I'm concerned. In the case of receivers, bigger isn't always better. More of it, but not necessarily better.
There were a lot of reviews on 'em (mixed together, y'know how it goes there) at AR's reviews pages.

Shain:

If you just want to add another Sansui to your collection, thats fine- and I can relate as I have a 7070, 9090DB, G-5500 & G-7700 in my own collection. However, whether you'll perceive any significant 'upgrade' as far as sound quality goes, well......, thats not guaranteed. If your desire is really more about looking to hear noticeable improvements in sound quality, then I think what you should be looking to change is your Loudspeakers, not switching to another receiver.

Perhaps you might consider getting a nice pair of speakers that are capable of being biamped (they have an extra set of terminals to connect a 2nd amp too) and then enjoy being able to use TWO amplifiers- after all, whats better than a 9090DB?

Answer: TWO of them, which you can enjoy by biamping :)

My feeling is if you are looking for an amp thats on (atleast) the level of the 9090DB, then you would obviously need to move Ahead in Time- thus, the next Line you would consider is the G models which came out after the 9090DB...5050 Line. (I dont see much benefit in working backward and acquiring a receiver from a Line thats older than the 9090DB - pre 1977).

Keep in mind- if its the TOTL units that you are (implying) you want, the G-9000 when they do appear on Ebay (and its not super-often it occurs), are going to cost you some $$- count on atleast a good $400 if its in nice condition. The G-9700 can go for some bucks too, there's an auction for one now on Ebay, so it'll be seen at Auction's end what the final price came out to be. Plus, figure in some more $$ for shipping, as they both are certainly not lightweight models.

After the G models of 1978-80, you have the 9900Z...3900Z Line of 1981/82. There's an 8900ZDB on Ebay now, the price (as it stands now) is right, but I expect that tp go higher by auctions end:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3022026110&category=3279

Actually, the price did get higher (it was only 26 bucks before, ah well, he's got a Reserve anyway).

As for the differences you asked about: the G-901 is the overseas version of the G-9000 and ditto the G-971 in regards to the G-9700. The overseas versions, aside from obviously running at a different voltage (if you see the 220V sticker in the back, then you know it came from Europe) have a different color front panel- sortve like a light bronze color of brushed aluminum on the G-901 (and even on smaller models like G-301). On the G-971- its black.

As for the comment made about the 'decline' in quality with the x700 series: while the G-9000 may look more impressive on the inside than the G-9700, and perhaps it may actually be the better receiver, I think the (200W!) G-9700 is still far from being a receiver thats built/or sounds like one of a lower quality standard. The main distinguishing feature of the 3rd and last generation G Line is the digital quartz locked tuner section- as on the TU-719 Tuner- same display. Nothing unusual about this as many other hi fi companies produced the same thing in their models in the same time period- so it should be clarified that the "decline" (more digital-like, smaller, and so forth...) is not something that only "afflicted" Sansui- the style changes in receivers were pretty much seen in ALL the hi fi brands. What the 9900Z...3900Z Line was to Sansui- you can see a parallel in the SX-3900..SX-3400 to SX-1980..SX-480 Line of Pioneer. So then- should we speak of the 'decline' in Pioneer receivers? ( to use as an example).

I like both the 9090DB Line and the G models- and thats-a why I have both in my collection:)

Being that you already have the 9090DB (or several of them perhaps, I think you mentioned), then I dont need to say much on what you already see with that model. I'm not saying that the G's are better or worse than 9090DB Line as both have their plusses/minuses, but to point out a few observations in comparison:

The G models have larger spring clip terminals in the back, click stop detents on the large size volume control, separate Balance control and speaker A, B switches, in the case of the G-9700, 7700...- green 'safely operate' led, and a gorgeous illuminated Sansui logo- as its located inside the tuner display- VERY COOL! (The logo and switches are bigger though on the 1st & 2nd gen G's- G-9000, G-5500 - some lever type switches on the G-9000, and the buttons are thicker (more square shaped) as opposed to thinner & rectangular shaped on the '700' G's. Also lighter tuner display color on early G's, dark on the '700' G's. The G's also dont have the tuner display dimming problem thats so common the 9090DB....5050.

The tuning dial- while very large on the G's, doesnt quite have the smooth glided feel as when you turn the dial on the 9090DB...Line. Yellow and blue color meters on 9090DB.... are gorgeous.

Shain - if you are looking to acquire another Sansui, are you just into Receivers, how about integrated amps? - the AU model Sansui integrateds are Excellent (as are their matching TU Tuners).

B/F.

Also note: While the 9090 and 8080 DB & non DB and the G-9000 have separable pre/power amp sections, the '700' G's do not. ( and as you can see in the back of the 9090DB- not just one, but Two pairs of pre out jacks).

Hey BF

I should have been more clear, I didnt mean to sound like a 9700 might sound worse than a 9000. What I meant was, given that I could not listen to them myself and had limited my choices down to those 2, I would pick the 9000 just because it has better build quality. It is not a big decline, but it is the first time a Sansui was not built to the levels of the model that preceeded it and therefore, in my eyes, the beginning of the decline in quality. The quality and design of the electronics themselves did not decrease much at all, even into the 80's (my Z-9000 appears to use components of the same quality as the *700 series.) I am sure the *700 are good sounding receivers, I know my Z sounds good (and gave me respect for 80's Sansui products.) Of course, Sansui wasnt alone in that period. I saw a Pioneer A-80 for sale that was from the early 80's. While it was nice, it was no where near as nicely built as my SA-9500 from ~'75.

Thanks guys!

Marantz is my deal, as you probably know. So not too well versed on the Sansui receivers.

Will be watching for a G 9000 I think. No digital please.;)

Shain,
To answer your original question:

Yes, I do believe that the G-9000 or G-901 is a definite upgrade compared to a 9090DB.

I have owned both a 9090DB and a G-901, and the G-901 to me seemed more powerful and had a definite advantage when it came to "physical presense" and nicer cosmetics. The G-901 is like a piece of fine jewelry just sitting there looking at it.

Go for the G-9000 or G-901. As a matter of fact, if you find a nice G-8000 or G-801 it would be great too.

You won't be disappointed.

Hi David:

I have an SA-7500 (from '76). But with all the other amps & rcvrs I have, the SA-7500 hasnt gotten much use, unfortunately. There are some good buys to be had on SA Pioneer's on Ebay, as they can be gotten for very reasonable prices.

The G-8000 deserves honorable mention in that for a 120W receiver, it does have a toroidal transformer- I dont think any other Sansui receiver in that wattage range (including G-7700, 9090) has that.

B/F.

hello there mr. shain. haven't read everyone else's reply,however i just spent about 2 months going back and forth between 9090db, g-9000, and a kenwood model eleven g series 2. as far as outright SOUND goes the g-9000 can't compete, just can't and i hate that,(so i just shipped mine off to seattle, to a happier place and a new owner) hey'if looks matter to you it is BEAUTIFUL. tried comparisons between phono, tape, and the f.m.(with the other 2 having dolby it really wasn't fair but oh well. i have no reason to believe that anything was wrong with my 9000. there, thats my 2 cents.

Back
Top Bottom