G-901 help

2beanklm

ok i bought a g-901 from ebay. i guess it was in great condition before shipping. well the guy who packed this hasn't got a clue! in a box bigger than the receiver by quite abit with alittle bubble wrap around it and some shredded paper and foam peanuts around it but not nearly enough to take up the space between the walls of the box and the receiver. hello this is a 65 pound fragile item! and guess what? i emailed him before i bid to ask if all lights worked and how he planned to box it for shipping because i was very concerned about it being damaged. well i'm waiting to hear from him but not holding my breath.

anyway the back heat fin section was pushed in just alittle , the plastic legs on the back were toed in when the fin section got bumbed and the plastic screw holes in the top cover were broken off. believe it or not everything functions well except the power meters don't work and neither does the light to the power meters. they worked in the pictures he sent so i'm thinking something may have come disconnected in its ruff handling. anyone got any ideas what i might try to get them working? it looks like some of the wiring for the power meters runs down under the circut board you see when the top cover is removed. any help to try to restore this tragic abuse to a very nice vintage receiver would be great. thanks.

2beanklm,

You could probably look for cracks in any circuit boards, or look for cold solder joints. That's when the little blob of solder is dark grey in colour instead of shiney. Hard to tell though if the unit's dirty! Or a solder joint could have jarred loose of the trace somewhere. Use lots of light and a magnifying glass and have a look. Look at everything... Start near them heat fins!

Greg

BTW, Pursue the seller's poor packaging skills!

Well after taking the cover off and straightening the back out and replacing the plastic legs the lights and meters started to function. sometimes the power meter lights don't come on but a gental tap above them gets them on. it is quite clean inside and has a sticker on the back saying it was serviced in 7-03 at a place called the Sound Well in berckley ca. anyone familiar with this shop? as far as getting anything out of the shipper for the poor packaging what could i do? he replied to my email stating he felt really terrible about what happened and that the receiver had always been great ect. but wasn't willing to refund anything. of course i gave him negative feedback. if you have anyother sugesstions please let me know.

other than the meters not working when i got it this receiver really does function well. the switchs are quiet and it has a very powerful clean sound. i guess most of the damage was cosmetic but it still makes me upset after contacting him to make sure he would package very well. i just don't know how anyone who claims to love these classic beauties could send one out the door packaged like that!

Back
Top Bottom