G7700 VS 890DB

maxhifi

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Have these two giants in for repair coincidentally at the same time, thought I'd compare them.

1. The 890 is insanely large, the 7700 only ridiculously large.

2. The 890 is better made internally and better finished externally

3. The 7700 is very powerful, the transformer looks more like a piece of industrial equipment than a receiver

4. The 890 sounds better, while the 7700 sounds like a typical solid state receiver, the 890DB has a much nicer sound, almost like a tube amp.

5. Starting to understand the whole monster receiver thing... Before they go home I want to try them both with my Sansui sp-3005s

I have owned two G7700, still have one, I have a G22000 and a G9000, I have worked on several 9090, 9090DB and 8080, and for me, I prefer the tight Linear and crystal clear accuracy of Sansui's direct coupled amplifiers like the G series is based on.

If you are finding the G7700 is sounding like a "typical solid state receiver" I'm going with the theory it must not be operating at 100%.

However, what sounds best, is completely subjective to a point. They are both excellent receivers, its a matter of preference..

I have owned two G7700, still have one, I have a G22000 and a G9000, I have worked on several 9090, 9090DB and 8080, and for me, I prefer the tight Linear and crystal clear accuracy of Sansui's direct coupled amplifiers like the G series is based on.

If you are finding the G7700 is sounding like a "typical solid state receiver" I'm going with the theory it must not be operating at 100%.

However, what sounds best, is completely subjective to a point. They are both excellent receivers, its a matter of preference..

To be absolutely fair, I have only used it with the speakers I use for testing amps, wirh my old test CD player, I haven't listened too critically. I think will give the 7700 a better chance to perform before I let it go, I want to hear what it can do, and the repairs do need to be stress tested.

Man that's a difficult one, both units have their merits, I think I like the 890DB more. Even when the G7700 sounds sooo good.

It all comes down to personal preference. I prefer the G-X700 over the 8080/9090.

I still have my G-871DB and no longer have my 9090DB.

Rob

Have an 8080db and a G9000, both restored, both get turns in rotation, both are liked, neither is leaving the collection anytime soon.

890DB returned to customer, but a 9090DB appeared which needs repair. Can't wait to get it going. The 890DB sounded especially nice on the phono input.

Back
Top Bottom