G9000DB help needed

cabinover

Dazed and Confused
I bow to all of you Hi Fi Techs on here having just found this site a few days ago. As an Army brat from 72-80', I saw my share of beautiful equipment in all of the AAFES stores so I have picked up what I couldn't have earlier in life. My G9000DB:) I had been having some trouble with the left channel and the Monitor switch was the problem so being the genius that I am( optimistic by nature) I tore into this, cleaned the switch and put it all back together. Everything was great until I powered up. Protection is still on. The only way to get past the protection is to seperate the amp/pre. The amp works if driven by another preamp. Nothing out of the preamp. FM tuner still works fine. A ticking sound was heard through the speakers (using just amp) but this morning, it's gone(edit*strike that, I just didn't hear it*edit). Happy to supply any answers to your questions that may help me. Trust me, If there was a shop around here that could fix this, it would have gone. There is absolutely nothing in Vermont besides, "Yup, we sell amps here, Fix em? Uhhh...Nope"
I also have a Bose (Don't hate me yet) 1801amp that I need service on(has even been to Bose authorized techs that can't get it right) Thanks folks, I really appreciate it, Bob Paul, Vermont
Would even call you if that would be easier.

Last edited:
I've read of some reputable shops in NY. Or, send your baby to our pediatrician-deluxe, EchoWar. I know he's done units for Kama, who is in Buffalo.
Check out the comments in the vintage solid state forum.
That big Bose amp is a keeper. No apologies needed for that big guy!

Thanks for the prompt reply. The Bose seems to be a sore subject from the threads I've read (along with my 901s), hence my comment LOL. I'll look around more old posts and if it doesn't hit me on the head, I'll try to get a hold of EchoWar. It's almost like family, even my wife feels bad.

Originally posted by bully
I've read of some reputable shops in NY. Or, send your baby to our pediatrician-deluxe, EchoWar. I know he's done units for Kama, who is in Buffalo.
Check out the comments in the vintage solid state forum.
That big Bose amp is a keeper. No apologies needed for that big guy!

Actually, he's done 3 for me, soon to be 4 :)

His work is impeccable, I'm sure he'll be chiming in here at some point :)

It's broke.

Sorry.

(It would be interesting if you could separate the amp and preamp with the switch, and measure the DC voltage at the preamp output jacks.)

Regardless, whatever's wrong can be fixed. Hell, Humpty Dumpty could be put back together with enough time and $. ;)

Stay optimistic cabinover, I FEEL your pain! My AU-D11 is sick. Waiting to breathe fire again. (Not literally, I hope). This is my first Sansui, and even though she's not working now, she's a keeper. I wish you more than extreme amounts of luck.

Greg

Originally posted by EchoWars
It's broke.

Sorry.

(It would be interesting if you could separate the amp and preamp with the switch, and measure the DC voltage at the preamp output jacks.)

I can do that for you, give me an hour or so. Bob

Preamp Outs measure

EchoWar,
At preamp out measured to chassis with meter at 200mV range, I get 0.

A lot of looking turns out well sometimes

I fixed it I think, it works just like it used to again. I'll even let you in on what I did wrong. When I moved the Source Switch board, i had to also move the Mic receptacle and it's level control. I traced back through the preamp system (with Radio Shacks cheapest mixer as an amp and headphones) until I found a spot that didn't have the motorboating syndrome. I turned the Mic level and the speed changed VIOLA!!! Look at the ribbon wire from that board to the mic assembly and on the board, a broken wire. It's a beautiful thing. I do want to thank everybody that helped. EchoWar, this amp will make it's way out to you this summer when I have a spare amp. Thanks again, especially for getting my a$$ back into a very enjoyable hobby (at least until something breaks LOL) Now.......I got this KT-7500 that hasn't worked in years.............. (I used to have the KA9100 that went with it, wish I knew what happened to it) Happy Day, Bob Paul

0V on both preamp outputs? If yes, maybe it's oscillating or the DC could be on the power amp input and you connected an AC coupled preamp to it, so it didn't care there was DC there.
You could check for DC on the power amp inputs, but leave the speakers disconnected when you do, in case the amp picks up hum from the meter leads you don't want to fry your speakers.
Also, did you measure by sticking the meter probe into the RCA jack? It might not make contact. Better to connnect a cable and measure at the end of the cable.

Warren

Warren...you may have missed the post where he fixed it (yeah, he shouldn't have started a new thread :twak: )

All is well.;)

Back
Top Bottom