G9700 outputs

So I pulled the g9700 off the shelf today and let it warm up for 15 min or so and then checked the bias settings right channel stays put on a perfect 5mv however the left channel slowly drops voltage from 5mv to 0mv then as I turn the trim pot back to 5mv it slow drops back to 0 again it did the same after a 3rd and 4th adjustment so I turned it off and let it sit for about 10 min and when turned on it reads 15mv..leaky transistor somewhere??

??

33,000 thermal resistors??
But this of course, shes just a guess,
Perhaps others will give better the answers?

Cordialement,
moe of the north

Those are all new both sides and the right side stays put I'm thinking differential transistors maybe?

Those are all new both sides and the right side stays put I'm thinking differential transistors maybe?
I narrowed it down to the left driver card I switched sides with them now the left is stable at 5mv and the right drops to zero..

I narrowed it down to the left driver card I switched sides with them now the left is stable at 5mv and the right drops to zero..
I was able to find another driver board thanks to Kale and the G9700 is up and running now..The old board looked like it got heated up to many times during its life and with me switching parts back and forth didn't help the brittle traces out very much..Lesson learned if the board looks like it's been hot before try to do the least amount of work to it as possible..I had it right the first time and then started second guessing myself and ended up making things worse..

Glad to hear it worked out. The G-9700 is a great, incredibly powerful, clean sounding receiver. Crank it up and let us all hear it. If you can get to it easily, please post the serial number for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

20170629_025233.jpg There she is in all of her power and glory..And by the way she doesn't go into protection anymore no matter what volume I turn it to..

Well good things take time and there will always be lessons learned,
-Good job on reviving another classic receiver. We can never have too many G-9700's.
I still need to get it hooked up to the oscope Moe I ended up buying the one you posted on here awhile back just haven't tried it yet..

Well you may have made major steps forward with Kal's replacement boards.
You yourself stated that your boards had seen a little too much heat
and the tracers were in less than ideal state.

From what I understand, (and I understand hammers better than circuitry)
Parasitic oscillations can be introduced a number of ways and one of those ways is thru poor signal path.

Overheated boards with rough tracers could certainly be a factor in inducing an amp toward oscillation.

=================================

Parasitic oscillation:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parasitic_oscillation
Mitigation
Several measures are used to prevent parasitic oscillation. Amplifier circuits are laid out so that input and output wiring are not adjacent, preventing capacitive or inductive coupling. A metal shield may be placed over sensitive portions of the circuit.
Bypass capacitors may be put at power supply connections, to provide a low-impedance path for AC signals and prevent interstage coupling through the power supply. Where printed circuit boards are used, high- and low-power stages are separated and ground return traces are arranged so that heavy currents don't flow in mutually shared portions of the ground trace. In some cases the problem may only be solved by introduction of another feedback neutralization network, calculated and adjusted to eliminate the negative feedback within the passband of the amplifying device.

========================================

Willy, what the above kinda points toward is that tracers/circuits, over and above being correctly engineered and laid out, should also be kept in good serviceable condition in order to stave off unwanted oscillations.
It may well have been the poor condition of board and tracers that allowed the signals to emanate and mix via inductive coupling (just my misguided opinion).

Also, since oscillation can happen at any/many frequencies,
this coupled with the G-9700 extreme flat frequency response well past our/human hearing,
The (extreme) fast high frequency transistors could be oscillating in a bandwidth well above our hearing perception
and thus we would never know if the amp was oscillating especially on a G97 with a frequency response well above 100 mhz
without putting it on a scope.

I would trust that the boards sent by Kal are top notch refurbished and tested
(I too bought a replacement set and they are top notch)
and that your days of oscillation may be behind you.

==================================================

It is good to hear that after trial and error you are making good headway with the '9700.
As you know, I have owned one since new.
In the 38 years I have owned my G9700,
I have learned that you are all in at about warp factor 5 and pushing to 6
is were clipping is on it's way.
(Personally, I run the loudness circuit in and the bass backed off.)

To ballpark/find clipping of an amp:
If you have a inductive amp meter ( the kind with the big c clamp that you hang over the power input/cord)
You can use it to help you figure out where your G is going to start to clip in relation to your volume settings.

If the G is rated (the tag on her backside) at maximum input of 600 watts,
then you could easily use your inductive c clamp amp meter (over the 110v power cord) to watch the amperage build toward 5 amps as you crank the Sansui.
->5 amps at 120 volts equals Sansui maximum input of 600 watts.

I would bet that you will notice that you are approaching 5 amps at a little over half volume (bass control/position dependent).
Attempting to draw any more than 5 amps from the wall will cause this particular amp to clip.

As you know, clipping an amp is the equivalent of running direct current thru the transistors and into your speakers.

When you clip the input sign wave, the top and bottom of every wave is flat topped.
Down the line at the speakers, the flat top portion of the wave attempts to hold the speaker cone out
or "freeze" the cone in an extended position for and extended period of time.

Speaker cones need to consistently move and for that they need to see a constantly changing wave form,
not one that freezes at the top and bottom of the wave.
When -For a brief microsecond, the cone is held out (or in) at maximum travel,
this is seen back at the amp as a dead short.
Speaker over heats, amp over heats components overheat, boards, tracers etc all see a temporary flat topping or dead short as heat.

-------------------------------

Luckily, Sansui built amps with forgiving circuitry that for the most apart was able to
quickly revive when pushed into clipping.
But many amps do not settle back down or revive once you have pushed them into clipping.
And I have owned amps that would only revive if powered down.
My Sansui Amps were all able to quickly regain there composure just by backing off the volume button.

I know the G9700 is new to you and so many of us are used to amps were we can crank to 8, 9 or 10
and they may sound like sheet but we push them anyway.
The G9700 will give you well over a true 200 watts per channel extremely cleanly with a very high slew rate.
And this is what we love about the G-9700, It's clean (almost unsurpassed),
it's extremely Faaaaast and it's inherently beautifully honest to beautifully honest recordings.

But it is also about all in by ~6 and will easily clip for some time before we trigger the protection circuits.

Hope I haven't overstepped my place and all will be taken into context.

Much Sansui Love,
moe

No problem moe I'm lucky to have someone with your experience with this receiver on my side and everything you say makes perfect sense to me..Maybe I should come and visit you in NK..

Back
Top Bottom