Gainclone/fostex horn synergy

roncla

I have completed the 3rd gainclone with an active pre amp. My speakers are fostex fe-103e horns of my own design. While the SPL of these are limited they are more than adequate for my small apt. with the approx 25 watts/channel of the GC.I have spent the last few days getting the systems intergration of the horns/amp.
One of the problems i have noticed is with the increased dynamics and speed of the horns combined with the very high speed and dynamics of the GC is that flaws in the source/recording have become very very obvious.Example, during the recording of nora jones at the end of some of her singing she makes or there is a noticible click (sounds like a tongue click) at the end of her phrase. Also there is a hum and a rumble from the TT that i havent noticed before.The dvd player now has an over bright mid and sounds a little artifical.
I had never noticed things like this on the marantz 2238/rs-1354a TQWT.
sources: AR XA tt with a grado black cart.
GE dvd player um modified (sold my old sony)
Is there any mods that anyone can suggest to the TT and the dvd player that will help with this? Or is it time to up grade to serious stuff? I am limited in funds insofar as i cant spend 1K $ for a tt or a new cd player.Maybe 500$ for the both.
thanks yall
ron

Are you coming down to San Antonio? There will be some good DIY stuff there and I for one would like to hear your amps.

Gonna try.

work permitting.I am currently making a set of TDA2050 chip amps for sell to a friend.
This is what i have found out about the differences in chips.
LM3875: Gives an overall greater speed and power and definition. Clarity, image, soundstage is fanstastic.
TDA2050:Very much like tubes, but with greater clarity and faster. Not the overall power from the above chip but a better mid range(like tubes).
LM1875: Sorta kinda a mid point between the 2 above chips. This chip is easy to work with and gives IMHO the best of both worlds of SS and tubes.
I have found out that Batt power is the only way to go , i mean if you want a ripple free P/S there aint any other way, and its cheaper if you hold the voltage in down to +/- 12.6 Vdc.
I will try to make it as i stated, work permitting.
ron

Thatch...These little amps are really something! They can surprise the heck outta ya. they're cheap too :D

Ron...do you buy the test boards...then build the power supply...or do you buy just the chip?

thanks

Chip Amp

I just buy the chip. The results with very very short leads(which you cant get on a board) are better and the P/S is 2- 12.6 Vdc lawn and garden batteries.
Check link below to give you an idea of how tiny these can get.This one i am makng (for sell) to a friend.It will have about 15-17 watts/channel and will replace his 6bq5 PP tube amp.
http://community.webtv.net/roncla/TDA2050ChipAmp1
ron

Back
Top Bottom