Game Of Thrones fans?

mhedges

Apologies if there is already a thread on this - I searched but didn't find one.

Any GOT fans here? I am enjoying the new season, although it is bittersweet since there are so few episodes left.

I'm fan of the show. It has a lot of interesting characters and the writers aren't afraid to kill them off. IMO the series is better than the books. The series is more focused.

-Dave

Love it, the politics involved,the battle scenes are epic,the characters are fully three dimensional and having not read the books I look forward to each episode unfolding.

I'm fan of the show. It has a lot of interesting characters and the writers aren't afraid to kill them off. IMO the series is better than the books. The series is more focused.

-Dave

Oh I agree. The first book was fantastic but the later ones just had too much going on while at the same time having not that much actually progressing. The shows have done a great job trimming the fat.

Love it, the politics involved,the battle scenes are epic,the characters are fully three dimensional and having not read the books I look forward to each episode unfolding.

Book readers have been in the same boat since Season 6 started. It's exciting!

I rather enjoyed the books. I admit they got dry at times, but the changing perspectives meant I only needed to get through the current chapter to get something new. Also, eventually those drier lines did pick up again. I have not yet given the series a proper go though.

I rather enjoyed the books. I admit they got dry at times, but the changing perspectives meant I only needed to get through the current chapter to get something new. Also, eventually those drier lines did pick up again. I have not yet given the series a proper go though.

You're right about the changing perspectives. It's not that the books are bad, in fact I think that they're well written, it just seemed like they were/are going to go on forever.

-Dave

In some ways the series seems too rushed now, and lost some of the internal logic that GRRM built into his plot. I mean this week, Rob hears from Dany and is off to meet her, but the Nights Watch didn't have a raven to send Rob with news of his brother? Pieces are moving all over the board for no other reason that it speeds the story along, without the writers thinking about how it all makes little sense.

There certainly was a lot going on in the books that at times had me confused. Overall the books are a good read and well worth the time you will spend on them. The series has done an admirable job of following storylines found in the books but has, out of necessity, massaged many threads and added a few of their own. At this point of time in the series we have passed what has been presented in the books and are all experiencing events for the first time together. HBO has done an outstanding job in the production of each and every episode while the writers have developed most characters where we, as viewers, either despise or love them. Shocking us with unforeseen events by killing off beloved characters helps to keep us on our toes and guessing what might happen next.

You're right about the changing perspectives. It's not that the books are bad, in fact I think that they're well written, it just seemed like they were/are going to go on forever.

-Dave

Now that I think of it more, I did have one complaint with the books: the overuse of cliffhangers. There are only so many times a chapter can end with Tyrion or Davos in a situation where they will almost certainly die (but then don't) before it loses its edge.

Don't get me wrong - the later books certainly have had their moments and I enjoyed them but still I really respect the comparative narrative tightness of the show.

I'm sure the books being so convoluted is one of the major reasons that they are so slow in coming out. GRRM has written himself into a corner in a way.

Do you folks think he will complete the series? My guess is no. I still hold out hope for Winds Of Winter, just because he does have a lot of it done. I'm not sure even that is justified or more than a 50/50 bet. As for the last book - I'd be shocked if we saw it. By then the TV show will have been long over and I think he will use the idea that his readers got resolution through the show as an excuse/justification/whatever for him to not finish.

Or he just dies before he can finish it. That's certainly plausible too.

I think the audio cds narrated by Roy Dotrice is the best way to go. I am on the last volume A Dance With Dragons. Much, much better than the TV series.
Many of the changes in the television show seem to me efforts at plot condensation since the books are so long. I must say that Feast Of Crows and A Dance With Dragons are not as good as the first three volumes in that they seem to be placeholders rather than heading toward a conclusion.

I would rather have a whole volume about Arya Stark after she graduates from the Temple of the Faceless Men in Bravos. Her chapters are the best part of Feast of Crows and her one appearance in Dances With Dragons is a welcome respite from the seemingly endless time spent in Murreen and on the Wall.

If he's smart he will at least attempt to finish the series. I could be wrong but this must be a giant cash cow for him.

-Dave

Yeah but he's already gotta have as much money as he will ever need. I don't see that motivating him.

I'm a big fan of the show. I was a late started and got sucked in during the 2nd season I think it was. During one of the pre-season marathons I happened to catch a bit of the episode where John Snow hooks up with Ingrid and I was hooked. I had to go back and catch up from the beginning and by the time the season started I was caught up and I don't think I've ever since had more than one unwatched episode on my DVR.

I think this season started off just like many of the others: With a few crowd pleasing moments but mostly tying up loose ends and setting up the rest of the season. I'm excited to see so many of the things we've been watching boil finally come to a head. And Arya's revenge was soooo satisfying!

Love GOT however the last episode I saw was the one where Halfsor Bjornsson squished the dude's head....

That's a pretty rough scene and it was tough to watch. I wonder therefore if that graphic might be a little too much and maybe unnecessary for the board.

That's a pretty rough scene and it was tough to watch. I wonder therefore if that graphic might be a little too much and maybe unnecessary for the board.

That scene was nothing compared to what happened to Shireen. I'm not often shocked by TV or movies, but Shireen's death was truly horrifying. I've avoided watching it after seeing it originally.

-Dave

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom