Gaming headset for audio?

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Gmm213, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Gmm213

Gmm213 New Member

I have a good set of gaming headphones, HyperX Cloud II. I have used them a bit with my setup. I was wondering how much dedicated audio headphones would sound vs enclosed gaming headphones. Id be looking at $100, the amount I spent on my HyperX.

My thinking is that my HyperX has bells and whistles that I dont need for audio that raise the price and therefore could get better quality sound for the same money. Exe it has a 3.5 into a control unit to USB, 7.1 surround, removable mic.

Let me know if anyone can give me an idea. And let me know if its just not worth it. I use my headphones probably once a week.

2. jonman

jonman Addicted Member

I'm watching this, I'm curious as to what others may say.

3. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

The best headphones for audio are not made by gaming companies.

4. xero-D-hero

xero-D-hero Super Member

I use my Sony MDR-7506 for my gaming needs.
    Those are connected to my desktop PC via the SB Zx soundcard's ACM.
    Dont use a mic as I only play single player campaigns and no multi-player.

But should I ever need a mic I have a few options that I could easily exploit.
    That SB Zx ACM is also a functional mic preamp with either 3.5mm -or- 1/4" inputs,and it also has a beam forming mic built in.

IMHO the 7506's are excellent 'phones for either music -or- gaming.

Now if I'm going strictly for music,I go ahead and use my headphone/nearfield rig & the AKG K240DF.
    Though those also could easily be used for gaming as well,but I rarely ever use 'em for such.

So I guess my point here would be something like: I tend to use audio headphones for gaming rather than vice-versa.

:confused:o_O ,,,LOL...

Bret P.

Gmm213 likes this.
  5. SilverNerd

SilverNerd AK Subscriber Subscriber

No need for the 7.1 and usb junk on your headphones. Ive been using steelseries brand for about 10 years now when it comes to gaming.
    Last year I switched up to using music headphones and a stand alone mic. Never going back to the cheapo gaming headsets that always break.

6. judsonw

judsonw Active Member

I have never listened to the Cloud II (or really many gaming headsets. My housemate has a set I listened to briefly, but it did not leave a lasting impression). I will say, that with going for pure audio headphones, you should get more value for your money since you do not have the extras that the Cloud II provides. I would strongly suggest you read reviews and such. The last headphones that I bought that were in that price range were Panasonic RP-HTX7s. That was about a decade ago, and I did enjoy them, but before them I was mostly listening to ear buds. I am not sure how they would hold up to your Cloud II though.

Others may have better suggestions for good headphones in your price range, and while you say you only use headphones about once a week, you may find that if you get good headphones you will wind up using them more (I have been thoroughly enjoying my Sennheiser for the past couple months).

Small edit, I am not 100% certain it was the PR-HTX7s that I bought a decade ago, but they look to be the closest to what I remember having.

Gmm213 likes this.