Garage System (how to protect from dust?)

ranukic

Hey,

Maybe you recall last year about this time I inherited my late Uncle’s amp that he brought back from Vietnam in 71’. It’s a Pioneer SX-1500TD that was stored in a pole shed the past 30 years. I replaced a couple boards and all electrolytic caps. I started with it in my basement as my main amp but I have since replaced it with a Kenwood Model Eleven III as my main amp. I am considering putting the SX-1500TD in my garage but I am concerned about the dust. I was thinking maybe placing some sort of fabric over top would keep the dust out but would it hold in too much heat? I typically don’t crank the music somewhere around 1/4-1/3 up so maybe heat isn’t a concern?

Right now I have a Kenwood KR-V9020 as my garage amp but it lacks the sound quality I have from the SX-1500TD.

Am I being foolish for considering this or am I being foolish for not using it?

Thanks,
James

For some of my stuff I use those vinyl covers they sell for VCR covers. As to dust, unless you're doing body work I wouldn't worry. Worst case, put it in a cabinet with a door, and let the spks gather dust on their own.

My house is dustier than any garage short of a wood shop so I know where you're coming from.
I cover my amp with a microfiber cloth after I'm done using it. My speakers get covered too otherwise the woofers look like they are growing hair after a few weeks. I use a Swiffer duster around everything that's not covered.

Thank you. I will cover it and see how that works then take compressed air to it when it looks bad. Thanks again

I use an old sheet over the rack when I'm not using it.

You could find one of those enclosed racks with a glass door, there are a lot of them cheap to free on CL and at thrifts because people are downsizing their stereos. Glass may not work in your garage though.

I built a screened in enclosure above one of my work benches. This keeps a lot of the dust out and lets the equipment breathe. The speakers are also behind the screened sliding doors and doesn't affect the sound.

I just use an old towel. I do have a large plastic military storage box I've thought about mounting vertically to the wall. It has a seal on the lid also.

I had my Sansui 771 in my shop when I was rebuilding my 65 Cuda. I was doing a lot of sanding and painting of parts so I was worried about dust and overspray getting into everything. I took a cardboard box that was quite a bit bigger than my receiver and put it over top of it with a side cut out just big enough for the face plate to stick out so I could work the controls. After I sold the Cuda everything in my shop had black or red overspray on it but the old 771 was pretty clean inside and out. ;)

Damn teal’c! I could buy a lot of replacement amps for the cost of that air purifier.

Thanks for the responses. I will post my setup when I get it done.

I built a simple box for my reciever with a flip up lexan front and a dust filter top and holes on the bottom so air go up from the holes and out the filtered top taking the heat away.

I did wood work, welding, plasma cutting, painting and the reciever was as clean as the day I installed it after five years.

WI garage is OK I think.

Garage use here can suffer from moisture.
Garage use in Vegas can be rough, the heat causes weird oxidation to the contacts and switches.

I use junk stereos in the garage.
Garages don’t usually benifit from good stereos.

Back
Top Bottom