Garbled recording

Whuzit

I posted this a just a short while ago and may have put it in the wrong area..My apology to all..So I will redo it here in the correct spot..Got a pioneer ct-f1000 cassette deck that works excellent in all respects except 1..The recording is garbled from any source I record from..FF,RW,Play all work excellent..New belts,tires installed,heads cleaned and demaged..Visually I see no bad caps,loose wires or discolored resistors..Am stumped as to what it could be and where to start looking..Any one else had this issue or idea on how to correct:crazy:

Take a scrap tape and see if you can erase it with the deck. (Bring input level down to zero.) Listen to playback to see if it's a clean, deep erase.
Could be your bias oscillator or amp is non-functional, and either doesn't erase, or is not doing it's job on record.

Could also be input circuitry, too.

Here is what I found...I did the erase on a scrap piece of tape with the line at 0 for about 2 minutes..It was dead quiet when I played it back..I have also included a picture of the heads for you to look at in case I missed seeing something..I checked the play back again and it is excellent..Both capstans from what I can tell visually are at the same speeds in record and play back.I also checked the 400hz switch and it is producing a test tone..Hope this helps

Attachments

• IMG_0893.JPG
    IMG_0893.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 7
Time to source a service manual, and start tracing audio path with (preferrably) a scope. In consumer stuff, it's likely that the bias oscillator serves both the erase and record functions. They may have different amplifiers/setting points, though.

Once you get a manual with block diagram, you can evaluate what circuit elements are ok. For example, if you input a signal, enter record/pause, and monitor the output jacks, you're in EE mode -- electronics-to-electronics. If this sounds good and responds to input level control adjustments, then that will tell you that certain circuit elements are fine, which would mean the problem is in the 'head amp' part -- the circuit that takes the input and applies EQ, bias, and drive level to the record head. You can actually monitor the connections on the record head to see if the head amp is doing its job, but it's not going to 'sound' like good audio -- it'll have an EQ curve applied, plus bias that your test monitoring will need to deal with. This is why it's best to have a maintenance manual/schematic before digging in.

I've never done it, but you might be able to use a car cassette adaptor to suss out some info. You know, the $6 things you use to get your iPhone to play thru your cassette deck. It's essentially a tape head connected to a headphone jack, with some EQ thrown in. Used in reverse, the head would pick up the varying magnetic flux from a 'recording' head on your deck, and make it available as an output on the headphone jack. Level and EQ issues will abound, but it will tell you if the signal is getting to the record head in the deck. I'm going to guess (and it's only a guess) that if it sounds 'ungarbled' using this method, then the bias source, amp, or mixer is at fault in the deck.

I'm also assuming it's not your actual tape that's at fault, and that you've tried recording on other tapes with the same bad results...

I notice it's a three-head deck. You should also verify the switching and circuitry is good in the monitor source path. There should be a switch along the lines of 'monitor input' vs. 'monitor tape playback'. Because three heads let you record, then immediately play back 1/8" later. Since playback works OK, that uses the majority of the 'monitor tape playback' circuit. But things could go awry in the logic switching of monitoring sources.

I did open and use a brand new TDK-SA-X..The only 2 types of tape I use are TDK-SA,,SA-X..The problem was still there on the new tape...I do have the schematic on the deck BUT dont have a scope as I am still some what new at this..The deck is the pioneer ct-f1000..The deck has a MONITOR switch with TAPE and SOURCE.I used deoxit on the switch to clean it..When I switch to TAPE (while recording if I am correct) I hear whats actually being recorded during recording,but I have to turn the LINE knob up to 7-8 and its garbled and sounds the same in play back mode after recording...Could it be the record bias is out and can be adjusted by the VR'S on the mother board,,the oscillator block bad or failing:crazy:..I really dont want to start messing with head alignment unless I have to as the pay back sound on tapes is excellent and my only equipment is a DMM..Am posting some pictures of the transport and the inside for refrence and to help me understand more of what to look at...

Attachments

• IMG_0894.JPG
    IMG_0894.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0896.JPG
    IMG_0896.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 9
Not good to start tweaking around in a deck without a way to analyze the results of your actions. And a schematic, though helpful, pales in comparison to a real service manual with step-by-step troubleshooting and (hopefully) scope diagrams of desired results. I would focus on finding one of those, and perhaps a qualified service tech as well. Since it plays back well, you've already won half the battles. War isn't over yet, though.

Kinda figured that and I dont want to just start twisting things..Will look and see if I can find a service manual online..I did read a post in tapehead's tho that the service manual is has bad info in some areas and also confusing..Was just hoping to find someone with actual experience with my issue with this deck that hopefully I might be able to use my DMM with,with what experience and ability's I have...Just seems so close to recording right and I want to just reach over tune it in like a radio station 1-3 digits off with just a tweak of a tuning dial..ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG , to be so close and not experienced enough...

Back
Top Bottom