Garrard 301/401 owners club!

Discussion in 'Turntables' started by jeremyjustic, Nov 28, 2011.

1. AtticRat

AtticRat New Member

Garrard 301 virgin here. My first tt was a stack-able record Garrard given to me by my brother when I was 14, 43 years ago. I had completely forgotten about it until recently when I got back into listening to my record collection, after a 15 year hiatus. Last weekend I was out searching for vinyl at yard sales when I happened on a Garrard tt "for free to anyone who can fix it". Cool! The lady got $3.00 for it. I got my socks knocked off when I googled Garrard 301, as you might guess.
    Since then I have been reading through this wonderful discussion learning how to bring this poor neglected gem back to life.
    Garrard.jpg Garrard1.jpg Garrard2.jpg Garrard3.jpg Garrard4.jpg Garrard5.jpg Garrard6.jpg Garrard7.jpg Garrard8.jpg
    I've oiled the spindle and motor, damn they were thirsty! The linkage is in great shape, just thick grease slowing it all up, easy fix. It is quiet as a mouse, can't wait to spin a record on it! I plan on bringing the original plinth back to its original glory, but intend to make a solid plinth in the future, (I love 89rpm's plinth)
    Needless to say, I will be picking your brains for tricks and suggestions that I haven't already gotten from this discussion.
    Cheers!
    Karl

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

Surely a once in a lifetime score! Glad you're enjoying restoring it. There are kits available to restore parts of the motor, suppressor cap, etc. It's the only table you'll ever need.

3. Redboy

Redboy a few good watts Subscriber

Congrats, Karl! That's a wonderful find!

I sold my 301 a couple years back and quickly came to regret that decision. But I've since set things right! :)

4. GP49

GP49 Super Member

But every time you do that, it's liable to cost you more!

5. AtticRat

AtticRat New Member

Thanks Dandy, Table is scrubbed and polished, ready to start on the plinth.

Thanks Redboy, do you know any place in the states that has spring kits for the 301? I'm up in Ashland, WI, and the only electronics store is a Radio Shack...not much tt parts available.

6. Redboy

eBay is your friend, here. Or CTC in Europe, maybe.

7. Redboy

This is true! I paid more for a hammertone grease bearing model this time, but it came with a handful of extra goodies that I sold. At the end of the day, this is my “free” gray grease 301. :)

8. Redboy

Speaking of CTC...

(That’s the Classic Turntable Company, by the way)

This came up on my FB feed today — Ray's newest solid chassis model. This is probably the Garrard to beat!

(Image borrowed)

B14949FB-EE26-4492-ABA5-69C9B9D8FF98.jpeg

9. AtticRat

AtticRat New Member

The restoration of the "for free to anyone who can fix it" 301 is near completion. The wires for the tonearm were brittle and needed to be replaced, done. Unfortunately, the stylus is collapsed and I cannot spin an album without damaging it! Does anyone know where I can get a replacement stylus for the TPA tonearm, or have a spare working tonearm they could loan a poor bike mechanic so he can listen to some classic jazz on this old gal?
    Garrarda10.JPG Garrarda11.JPG Garrarda12.JPG Garrarda14.JPG Garrarda15.JPG Garrarda16.JPG
    Oh, and where can I download a printable and effective speed strobe disc to dial in the table?

10. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

Is it the tonearm or the stylus that is broken? Can you post a picture of the cartridge and its make/model.

You should be able to get a replacement stylus online, if you ID the cartridge.

Or, you should be able to fit a new, basic MM cartridge with a new stylus--but I don't know the tonearm.

11. AtticRat

AtticRat New Member

The tonearm is a TPA 12, must be entry level US table. There is no ability to set the weight of the cartridge/stylus. In truth, I need a better quality tonearm, unless all I play are my ancient 78's that came with my Columbia Grafonola..

Columbia Grafonola.jpg
    What I have is a Garrard head with a VR-1000 stylus. DSC00385.JPG DSC00386.JPG the body of the stylus sits on top of the album, not good. I get sound, but the scraping sound sucks!

12. Dandy

Dandy Super Member

It's an old tonearm, but a respected one. I think there is a screw to set tracking force at the back. Get the manual on Vinylengine.

You could just sell the arm to part fund a replacement. It needs a low compliance cart, but an M75 Shure with a new stylus would work and let you assess it. Edit: I've read that the Shure SC35C works well with this arm.

Or a new, cheap mm cart would also get you going, to see if you like it. E.g. Google 'Cartridge Stylus Phonograph Pickup for Turntable Vinyl Records Moving Magnet New' for a cheap option, which has received favourable comment on AK, though cheap postage is very slow.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  13. GP49

GP49 Super Member

14. AtticRat

AtticRat New Member

I did a full rebuild of the tonearm...yes there is screw that works off a coil spring, it is not doing it's job...the manual is there, but not helpful. Thanks, eh?

15. AtticRat

AtticRat New Member

Thanks! My 301 is turning at optimal speeds! Hope to have a tonearm and stylus to spin an album soon.