Garrard 301/401 owners club!

Very nice Redboy, additionally the armboard height itself keeps the arm spindle extension lower since the 301 sits high.

This beauty is finally up and spinning. :)

30318577008_5cf50e5e2a_b.jpg

44131798432_b55b498bbb_b.jpg

29242636657_f12fef7bdb_b.jpg

44131799272_cece92ce6a_b.jpg

44131799382_6034980f45_b.jpg
Glad you got a 301 back on your system...I am still in search of a tone arm I can afford for my $3 301.

Thank you! That wood riser is actually an armboard. The plinth itself has a 4" hole in it, and the armboard rotates on/within that hole. The tonearm mounting hole is drilled off center of the armboard, and by rotating the armboard that eccentricity changes the spindle to pivot distance. The plinth is pretty versatile as a result -- easy enough to fashion a new armboard for he next tonearm, even if its effective length is different.

44131798972_6e40a56685_h.jpg
Thanks for the info on the rotating armboard! I am going to make a plinth for my $3 301 out of centuries old lumber from the depths of Lake Superior! I love the rotating armboard, I will incorporate into my new plinth. I think this project will be my winter basement project this year, you all will be seeing pics late winter, I hope!? Still in search of a tonearm I can afford, yet not a piece of crap. My budjet is ~$300-500 or just a bit more, but my taste is $800-1500. If anyone out here has a quality tonearm for a steal, I am in the market, eh?

Here are my twins, fraternal.....The cream 301 is a grease bearing...I sold the exact table 10 years ago and recently found another to replace it, should never have sold it!!

The 401 is not stock, It has a large aluminum platter an oversized bearing that someone on the Audio Asylum made back in 2008..

Interestingly enough I find the stock 301 in the cheap ply plinth more engaging and fun to listen than the 401 in a slate plinth with the aftermarket platter and bearing.

Unfortunately I foolishly sold the original platter and bearing for the 401 so I can't swap out the platter/bearing to figure out what is going on with that combo..

Is it the slate or the new platter/bearing that suck the life out of the music??

IMG_4460.JPG IMG_6327 2.JPG IMG_6328.JPG

Very Nice!

I have a 3" thick slate plinth, It deadens the table but didn't take any life away . Curious, how does the aftermarket platter differ from the original?

Bob

The platter is made from solid aluminum and weighs consideralbly more than the original.

The bearing I believe is stainless steel and the bearing housing I think is brass. I tried contacting the gentlemen who had is made a few months ago and his wife told me he passed away. So I'm guessing it's brass. He supplied the bearing with a steel ball and that rode on a brass thrust plate.

I just turned a piece of delrin for a thrust pad and am now using a silicon nitride ball.

The table is super quiet. Things are very precise sounding, imaging, very audiophile like. Just super jet black quiet very eerie backgrounds. Instruments tend to appear out of no where. It's hard to explain it a very startling transient kind of thing.

The low end is less bloated and the highs are way more precise. This however will make lesser recordings, lesser!!

I need to get the platter into the 301 to see if it's the platter/bearing or the slate deadening the music. As it stands now it is very noticeable, the lack of life to the music.

Sounds over damped..the 301 has life!!

IMG_6309.JPG IMG_6322.JPG IMG_6325.JPG

I put a new Idler wheel on today...Audiosilente from italy on ebay.....makes a considerable difference. It adds more to the idler dynamic slam and it's not subtle.

I have 2 decks. A completely stock 301 and completely modified 401.

If I had to do it over the only thing I would do is add this idler wheel and be done with it.

IMG_6561.JPG IMG_6562.JPG

A few here have used the Audiosilente idler wheel and the quality is vr good. Although I can't comment
personally the Artisan fidelity replacement idler wheel has been said to be even nicer if thats possible.
At $365 a piece you kinda hope it would be.

honestly I don't what there is to be gained between Audiosilente's at $120 shipped vs $365 from Artisan Fidelity.

The workmanship is impeccable from the Audiosilente, comes with new bushings if needed and the whole assembly feels very solidly made.

I'm sure the Artisan Fidelity offering is a fine piece too but I do not know if there is more to be gained sonically...

Here are my twins, fraternal.....The cream 301 is a grease bearing...I sold the exact table 10 years ago and recently found another to replace it, should never have sold it!!

The 401 is not stock, It has a large aluminum platter an oversized bearing that someone on the Audio Asylum made back in 2008..

Interestingly enough I find the stock 301 in the cheap ply plinth more engaging and fun to listen than the 401 in a slate plinth with the aftermarket platter and bearing.

Unfortunately I foolishly sold the original platter and bearing for the 401 so I can't swap out the platter/bearing to figure out what is going on with that combo..

Is it the slate or the new platter/bearing that suck the life out of the music??

View attachment 1371952 View attachment 1371953 View attachment 1371954

I would surmise that it's the 1/4 plywood tonearm board...

That board was a temporary test jig...

this is what it looks like now...

a clearaudio arm straight to the slate on the 401 with a Lyra Dorian Mono cart

an Audio Technica arm on a piece of corian on the 301 with a Denon 103r

IMG_6104.JPG

There is something wrong with the 401...it sounds dull and lifeless no matter what I do to it...plus I get some strange noise with the idler engaged. it's either the slate or something with the contact of the idler, pulley, platter....I have some springs on order....

The Corian on the plywood plinth made a substantial difference to the sound. Really tightened up the sound and put things into focus. It is really dense stuff and the plywood plinth I'm using is only 2 pieces thick. So I'm guessing I killed some vibration getting to the tonearm...

David

I put a new Idler wheel on today...Audiosilente from italy on ebay.....makes a considerable difference. It adds more to the idler dynamic slam and it's not subtle.

I have 2 decks. A completely stock 301 and completely modified 401.

If I had to do it over the only thing I would do is add this idler wheel and be done with it.

View attachment 1395912 View attachment 1395913
Hi Kozzmo99,
Did you install the new bearings as well? I've read that some people had problems in aligning the two bearings.
Regrds,
David

Hi Kozzmo99,
Did you install the new bearings as well? I've read that some people had problems in aligning the two bearings.
Regrds,
David
I did not touch the bearings.

The directions suggest just swapping out the top if needed and strongly urges caution in touching the bottom bush.

I can’t tell if I need the new bush or not.

Back
Top Bottom