Garrard Synchro - Lab 72B

amandwato

i'm brand new to this community so please excuse any mistakes or indiscrepancies i may make

i picked up this turntable that someone left out (the Garrard Synchro - Lab 72B), it is in absolute prime condition but i can't seem to be able to put it in speeds 45 and 78, all 33 speed options work, it's only 45 and 78 that give me trouble-- the speed knob won't turn to said options

Dazen1MixTape025.jpg

the photo of the turntable is not mine, but it's the same turntable as mine

Cool, I was just about to do a search. I hope its an idler.
I just found this an hour ago. I don't even remember buying it. :dunno:

attachment.php

Steve

Last edited:
Cool, I was just about to do a search. I hope its an idler.
I just found this an hour ago. I don't even remember buying it. :dunno:

attachment.php

Steve

that's great! it really is a wonderful record player, at least i enjoy it. do you have any trouble switching yours to 45 or 78 though? if not, would you know any reason i may have trouble? when i look as to how it works there seems to be a metal piece blocking the mechanism from moving

I cant help you with this one, I haven't even plugged it in yet.
Most issues are probably do to gunked up grease.

I'll be watching, good luck. :music:

Steve

That's usually caused by dried up grease on the slider cam for the idler wheel speed change mechanism. If you take a look underneath you should see the speed change linkage and mechanism that moves the idler pulley assembly up or down to the correct section of the motor pulley for the speed you have selected. Clean up the old grease with some alcohol or degreasing solvent and reapply some white lithium grease or "phonolube" to the slider mechanism. Chances are you will have other parts of the automatic mechanism that will need this procedure done too, but once the mechanism is cleaned out and re-lubed those are pretty reliable changer / turntables.

Last edited:
That's usually caused by dried up grease on the slider cam for the idler wheel speed change mechanism. If you take a look underneath you should see the speed change linkage and mechanism that moves the idler pulley assembly up or down to the correct section of the motor pulley for the speed you have selected. Clean up the old grease with some alcohol or degreasing solvent and reapply some white lithium grease or "phonolube" to the slider mechanism. Chances are you will have other parts of the automatic mechanism that will need this procedure done too, but once the mechanism is cleaned out and re-lubed those are pretty reliable changer / turntables.

from looking at it earlier i don't believe it to be from dried grease, i'll try to take and upload some pictures a little later (maybe in 1-2 hours) but it looked as though it was blocked by a metal piece

The areas in red are the moving parts of the speed mech.

Are you talking about the piece of metal with the yellow arrow?

attachment.php

Steve

Last edited:
this is the piece that is keeping the knob from moving:

Du7hB.jpg

I just looked again, everything in you circle should move smoothly.
Is the cog sticking on the pin.

I know that dried/dirty grease joints can be very tough to move.

Steve

I am sorry to hi-jack this post but to make it short. I got this Garrard SL72B for free. It does not have cartridge or stylus. Online cost for cartridge and stylus for about $45. Do you think it worth to fix it? Please let me know. Greatly appreciate it. Thank you

Nice enough Garrard, but which cartridge, and what brand of usually-aftermarket stylus? A cheaply-made stylus will ruin records. Does it at least have the cartridge slide? Get it running and enjoy the magic of Vinyl.

Happens that I know Adam, the seller. Even though I am not generally a fan of generic styli, I know that Adam is honest [I purchase parts from him quite often]. Decent cartridge that accepts several different styli, if you ever feel the need to upgrade.

Beside this generic stylus and cartridge, do you have any thing else that you recommended? Please let me know. Thank you for helping me on this.

...Does it at least have the cartridge slide?
You need to know that the cartridge needs to be mounted on a plastic removable sled that plugs into the headshell. If this sled is missing, you will need to replace the sled as well as obtaining a cartridge. The headshell sled for the SL-72 is a Garrard C2.

Last edited:
As it happens, you can get the sled from Adam, or from that auction site. A nice cartridge with a fairly sturdy stylus would be a Stanton 681E or EE or EEE or Pickering XV15 750E. If you can get any of these with a decent original stylus, the combination would rock. Sadly, this might rocket you into a higher price range. For about twenty years, people were practically giving this stuff away. But with the renewed interest in decent playback equipment, and ebay, this just isn't so these days. The unused Pickering on ebay looks like it was used as a boat anchor. Stay away from it.

You need to know that the cartridge needs to be mounted on a plastic removable sled that plugs into the headshell. If this sled is missing, you will need to replace the sled as well as obtaining a cartridge. The headshell sled for the SL-72 is a Garrard C2.

Back
Top Bottom