Garrard techno-lab 95b

Joe DeQuarto

i need help!!!!
I just was presented an offer for a garrard techno-lab 95b for $14.00.
I am currently putting together a budget friendly vintage set up and wonder if this turntable would be a good fit?
STA-95 1979 Realistic receiver
Wharfedale W70D speakers
Any input would be great
Thanks Joe

Synchro, not techno.
That was a nice turntable in its time. Has a following to this day. When you first take ownership, auto functions will be screwed-up by hardened grease. If you can alleviate that problem, then oil the motor and deal with a possibly-dry idler wheel [can have it re-rubbered for cheap], you will have a nice machine. For 14 dollars, can be a worthwhile piece in your first system.. And as with any turntable purchase, the needle may or may not be good.

What he said. Nice machine, terrible lubrication. Change the grease and they work pretty well. Take lots of pictures as you go, they are a PITA to put back together if you do not have a good reference for exactly what parts goes where and in what order.

I was very surprised at the abilities of an Old Shure HI Track with the original stylus. It is not bad if it hasn't been damaged. A $30 replacement may not be as good, though.

The Garrard SL-95B that I purchased in late '69 came with a Shure cartridge. Can't recall which one. The base was the walnut wooden one, not the cheap plastic type. It came with both spindles (the long one was used for playing a stack of records, the small one for single play).

Given the fact that it's being offered for $14, probably means it is going to need some repair.

Wooden base
garrard-sl-95b.jpg

Plastic base
garrard-sl-95 plastic.jpg

You have a Stanton 680 EL cartridge installed on your Garrard SL 95B. Which is a good cartridge for your Garrard. And you can get styli for it from Jico in Japan. Which are of excellent and reliable quality. I'd keep the Stanton. I like it. I've owned several Garrard SL 95B changers in the past, and enjoyed them.

Thank you everyone.
Powered it up and she spins, speed change lever underneath had some dry lube and was hanging up. Brushed off dust bunnies, manually moved through lever action and it freed up enough that I was able to see that portion all working properly.
Checked all wire connections,secure no loose wires.
There is a steel clip to hold wires to chassis that has rusted( don’t know if it affected wire integrity, audio output wires)
I plan on cleaning and lubing all moving parts and as you can see by the pictures q-tip cleaning for sure.
I will be attaching some more pictures during the process.
Hopefully soon she will be singing again!!!!

You have a Stanton 680 EL cartridge installed on your Garrard SL 95B. Which is a good cartridge for your Garrard. And you can get styli for it from Jico in Japan. Which are of excellent and reliable quality. I'd keep the Stanton. I like it. I've owned several Garrard SL 95B changers in the past, and enjoyed them.
Thanks for the info
Once I have a better understanding and knowledge of my equipment I will stop asking amateur hour questions.
It now resides on the dining room table for inspection and any repairs or maintenance needed.
It is killing me not to just hook up and see what happens, but I want to make it fresh!!
Thanks again, joe

The Garrard SL-95B that I purchased in late '69 came with a Shure cartridge. Can't recall which one. The base was the walnut wooden one, not the cheap plastic type. It came with both spindles (the long one was used for playing a stack of records, the small one for single play).

Given the fact that it's being offered for $14, probably means it is going to need some repair.

Wooden base
View attachment 1123781

Plastic base
View attachment 1123777

I didn't know it snowed in San Diego...:)

index.php

I believe that's actually a heavier plastic faux wood base - it looks exactly like that on my Zero 92. That's not a bad thing, in and of itself.

Thanks for the info
Once I have a better understanding and knowledge of my equipment I will stop asking amateur hour questions.
It now resides on the dining room table for inspection and any repairs or maintenance needed.
It is killing me not to just hook up and see what happens, but I want to make it fresh!!
Thanks again, joe
I would pick up a stylus on eBay and fire it up. $30 for a stylus would be a good investment. It will be better than any new cartridge you can buy near that price.

Ok guys,
So I tried the 95b and she spins, but before I was able to try it , I started hearing a humming which got so loud I thought it was going to damage my receiver and speakers.
Does anybody have any ideas??
I posted pictures of the unit on this forum.
Thanks joe

Back
Top Bottom