Gates CB 1200: My new 78 sled.

albowlly

I picked this up from a local radio station today. I'm going to use it in my mono 78 setup. It just needs a little spit and polish, a stylus, and a plinth. I should have it up and running by early next week. I had it's big brother the CB 500 a few years ago but it was just too big.

DSC_0182.JPG

A nice broadcast classic. I installed 4 CB 1100 turntables brand new in 1973 when the station I engineered for then went from mostly tube to mostly SS, and there was a new Gates Yard 80 in on air, and nice new Micro-Trak 303 arms with Stanton 500AL heavy duty cartridges.

A nice broadcast classic. I installed 4 CB 1100 turntables brand new in 1973 when the station I engineered for then went from mostly tube to mostly SS, and there was a new Gates Yard 80 in on air, and nice new Micro-Trak 303 arms with Stanton 500AL heavy duty cartridges.
Sent
Thanks Kent, I believe this one has a Pickering 500, but I just gave it a glance. There's also a few bins of 78s at the station that I'm trying to procure.

History. The CB series turntables are named that because of Cora B. Gates (CB). Parker Gates' mother. Parker Gates being the man who founded Gates Radio Company. For all intents and purposes, Gates Radio Company invented the modern broadcast turntable way back in the early 1930's.

That looks like a beast! I'd like to see some pics after a clean up.
It is pretty beefy, especially the motor. I have the plinth finished and most of the cleaning done. I just have to soldier the tonearm leads to the rca plug-ins and install the new stylus when it arrives Saturday. Pics to come.

Back
Top Bottom