Gear rack/stands

Yeah I like it, it's just too wide. I have 40" max clearance. It's really hard to find anything in that range. It's either to small or too wide...

Here's one I built a few years ago. Its in storage at the moment til I find a place to put it.
stand2.jpg

Here's a built in unit I just finished for our downstairs. It houses the tv, tube gear, lp's, etc. shelves are adjustible to accomodate new gear as it finds its way to me. The black thing on the left holds dvd's. I took it out & it really opens up the space and helps the acoustics (was getting alot of reflection off of it, screwing up the soundstage.)
IMG_7652.jpg

OK so maybe you guys can help me out. I've got a 40" wide space I'm trying to find a rack for. I'd like to have space for my receiver and turntable on top, so it'd have to be at least 16" deep. The ikea expedit's won't work because the 2x2 is too small and the 4x2 is too big. Basically it'd be a double-wide rack, like a two-shelf bookcase but deep enough for audio equipment. As far as I know, nothing like this exist, and I've trying to avoid making it myself. This is something like I mean, but it'd have to be a heck of a lot cheaper... (That one's around $4000...)

Try Target. I picked up a tv stand for about $159 earlier this year that works well. Its about 38-40" wide and works well. I've got receiver & turntable on top, cd player, blu-ray, etc. on the middle shelf and a couple of wicker baskets on the bottom for books, cd's, junk (wife's idea & requirement to get it.)

Last edited:
Ok I'll look at that. I'd like to avoid an audio tower, just not my preference, the bookshelf look is what I'm after. Most tv stands are quite low, I'd like to have the turntable at least at 38" high or so, since I have a toddler...

Here's mine. It's almost finished. I just need to put a couple of coats of wax on it after the 3rd coat of tung oil dries. It's 44"w x 23"D x 36"H It's my first attempt at mortise and tenon construction. (Those are shadows on the end of the shelves)

DSCN0365.jpg

NOW THAT's WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT! Sorry to shout, but that's exactly what I want, except I don't want to pay big $, just looking for a cheap alternative. I guess I'll have to go searching through my dad's barn for some 2" Maple... What wood is that? That's a piece of fine furniture!! Can you fit lps in storage containers in between the shelves? What's the spacing... ?

The 2 bottom shelves are 9" apart and the top is 9 1\2". Obviously it's a copy of the Box Furniture Co stand but like you I didn't want to spend the $3700 they are asking for. It's made out of 1 3\4" x 2 1\2" Black Walnut for the rails and 1 3\4" square for the legs. 3\4" Black Walnut for the shelves. The only screws in it are to hold the shelves to the rails. It cost me ~$250 to make. The biggest expense was $140 for a 4'x8' sheet of plywood. I also have tip toes to install on the legs yet too.

Albums won't fit in it, but I had made these previously to hold my vinyl and assorted accessories in the drawers.

DSCN0349.jpg

DSCN0351.jpg

If you like the Flexi Rack idea but want to build it with black rods and hardware you can buy Salamander Archetype rods and hardware from Audio Advisor. I bought the hardware and made the shelves using cherry wood I had in the shop. The Archetype hardware costs more than regular steel hardware, but I like the way it looks.

You can also keep an eye on the bay - I have seen $380 Archetype racks go for around $100.

picture.php

Last edited:
Here's my latest setup using a combination of VTI racks and IKEA Stolmen components.

5767501934_5ea8d30cca_b.jpg

Here you can see a closeup of the Sansui TU-717 and VPI Scout on the Stolmen.

5749691313_4b739d9254_b.jpg

Whereas before in my older system, I was using just the VTI racks:

5495828468_6a415e736f_z.jpg

Would love to get these, but at over $10k for the 2 racks shown, it's a wee bit expensive.

19369_SWATCH.jpg

Last edited:
I finished my rack and loaded some of my gear on it. It was a learning experience but overall I'm very happy the way it turned out.

The gear is a VPI Classic 2 TT, Pioneer PL-560 w\DIY plinth, Pioneer SX-1250, SX-1080, SX-850, CT-F1250, CT-F900, Grant Fidelity DAC-09 w\GE 5 Red Star Tube, and a DTV HD DVR. The speakers are my DIY SEAS Odins in African Makore.

Now what to build next??

DSCN0368.jpg

Last edited:
Wow some of the stands are totally amazing!!

Nice work x2turbo that is pretty fine work you do.

Here is my rack. I got it at Ikea a few years ago and had boxes of crap on it.

So far this is my new old gear setup. Works for me but I soon know it wil not be enough to feed the beast.

QSC 2450 - just borrowing for now
Sony Tuner
Audio Source EQ
Nikko Beta 2
QSC 1450
Sony 200 Disc changer

IMG_20111205_224206.jpg

Thanks everyone. Everything I've done has either been inspired by this forum or has given me the answers to get something working again. Who knows, maybe I'll build another rack find out if anyone is interested in bartertown. Building a new mission style bed first though.

Back
Top Bottom