Gear rack/stands

Hi
I repurposed an old dresser into the my audio cabinet for the man cave. you can see it on my picture. The drawers are great for holding media and all other things audio

Last edited:
This thread makes me wish Sound Anchors would hurry up with building my stand for the twn MC75s still sitting here patiently in factory sealed mintness.

I started working on this stand off and on since last July and finally bought it in from the garage last week. Welded steel frame ( my first time ever welding , my girlfriend gave me a welder for Xmas last year ) with cedar shelves on plywood substrate. Installed LED strip lighting under the top rail. Pretty happy with the end result.

GT.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 335
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 338
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 326
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 317
I started working on this stand off and on since last July and finally bought it in from the garage last week. Welded steel frame ( my first time ever welding , my girlfriend gave me a welder for Xmas last year ) with cedar shelves on plywood substrate. Installed LED strip lighting under the top rail. Pretty happy with the end result.

GT.

You should be very happy with the results it's beautiful! Having a girlfriend give you a welder for Xmas fantastic!

I'm a pretty lucky guy to have all my gear in every room in the house and my girlfriend doesn't mind at all as long as I keep it neat and tasteful which is how I like it anyway. Photos of the other two racks on the other side of the living room in each corner.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 289
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    55.8 KB · Views: 281

GT.
That's great looking - very nice work!

C
That looks nice Dearslayer, I like the "rack" look it has. Like the Yamahas also.

Thanks so much everyone for all the positive comments. It's a nice feeling to have fellow audio enthusiasts like and appreciate something I built from scratch. Those Yamahs ( NS 700X ) do sound nice and I love the look as well, but I'd love to have a set of the much revered Yamaha NS1000.

GT.

I built my rack, in the garage, an unused corner not in the travel route of the wife's car.

Since the construction, I have added on a few conveniences, lighting and such.

Will try to include a picture, the next post!

I am glad to find this thread. Makes me get itchy when I see pictures of listening spaces or even just shows/auditions where gear is setup on the floor. Maybe I'm too used to having pets and kids running around :)

ive always loved the old school 70's-80's wood rack w glass doors. theres one in my pics, im currently looking for one now as we speak.

I am glad to find this thread. Makes me get itchy when I see pictures of listening spaces or even just shows/auditions where gear is setup on the floor. Maybe I'm too used to having pets and kids running around :)
i'd never use/store audio gear on the floor. dirt, dust, dander, being kicked, pushed an end up damaged.

i'd never use/store audio gear on the floor. dirt, dust, dander, being kicked, pushed an end up damaged.

Maybe it's temporary for auditions or demos but I see more than a few pictures of high end gear sitting on floors in magazines, on the "show us your listening space" thread, I guess people who don't have any pets, kids, visitors, or drink :)

Use VTI rack for main stack

rack201607.jpg

Maple butcher blocks for the amps. Most folks find no need to walk behind the speakers and trip(?) over the 85 lb amps. Keeps cable lengths short, too. :)

system201701.jpg

Maybe it's temporary for auditions or demos but I see more than a few pictures of high end gear sitting on floors in magazines, on the "show us your listening space" thread, I guess people who don't have any pets, kids, visitors, or drink :)
i was meaning myself personally that i would'nt do it.
as for magazines go- its a controlled enviroment. an being on the floor for maybe 30 mins for ads.

as for magazines go- its a controlled enviroment. an being on the floor for maybe 30 mins for ads.
Reviewer Harry Pearson placed all the various power amps that passed through Sea Cliff in Room #3 on the floor for as long as I knew him. That facilitated comparisons and was simply more practical given the weight of many. VTL Siegfrieds weigh 200 lbs each!

With my TV surround and 2 channel stereo needing to occupy the same area, I had to come up with something that would hold everything, plus additional items if wanted in the future. Wife and I hit all the furniture stores without success. I came across a CL add selling a shelf built from scratch. Went over and talked to the guy about what I had in mind and he said he would be excited to build something like this. It is his first one. Wife wanted rustic, I wanted functional. It's solid as hell. I don't have to worry about those amps being 40" above the ground and toppling over. With the 2 center supports, shelf sag will never happen.
rack.JPG

Mine is mounted into the old linen closest with all new shelving and insulated from the speakers in the living room and dinning.

Back
Top Bottom