Gear rack/stands

Ikea Expedit works for me...
DSC_0093.jpg

Can you take out the divider on the top shelf? Is that how you got that that way, or is there a separate model?

Can you take out the divider on the top shelf? Is that how you got that that way, or is there a separate model?

It's a standard 2x2 Expedit. I just left out the divider. The wooden dowels that typically hold the divider in place were trimmed flush with the shelf that the receiver sits on.

I used to use this nice premier rack for the gear and now I use an Ikea Expedit.

012-18.jpg

010-27.jpg

Also note the Skylan stands for the Harbeth speakers as they are custom made for the P3ESR by Noel.

Compare those to the very nice budget Studio Tech stands that I used before.

003-37.jpg

005-43.jpg

I no longer use the plywood platforms.

Random question - but where did you get those shelves for CD storage??

nothing fancy

First one $8 dollars at a flea market. Second one got when I bought the system-original Pioneer rack system.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 587
Last edited:
If you like the Flexi Rack idea but want to build it with black rods and hardware you can buy Salamander Archetype rods and hardware from Audio Advisor. I bought the hardware and made the shelves using cherry wood I had in the shop. The Archetype hardware costs more than regular steel hardware, but I like the way it looks.

You can also keep an eye on the bay - I have seen $380 Archetype racks go for around $100.

picture.php
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=563&pictureid=6334

I like the clean lines of this. I think slipping a 3/4 or 1" polished copper pipe over the threaded stock would give a boost. Think I'll try it out. Also, that way I can use standard threaded stock from home depot.

I really like the Idea of the flexi racks. Has anyone done one on wheels? I need it to be mobile. I am going to need to move it around often. Some of the gear I have is rack mountable.. Decisions are hard to make. Also I have some threaded rod about 12" and washers and bolts for free from work!! Has anyone also made one using this type of rod? I plan on using some sort of couplers. Any thoughts or insight would be great

picture.php

O'Sullivan on left , O'Zebra03 on right .

Note the Protect Our Wildlife Mad magazine poster in behind .

Last edited:
Guys
This post pertains but a tiny bit off topic, I found a few of these racks at the thrift, NIB.
They are current at Ikea, what is cool is they will hold alot of music and not take up much space and are configurable. They will mount vertically or horizontally.
Im thinking wow I can cram more crap into a small space. And they look pretty darn good.
bob

Attachments

• shelf1.jpg
    shelf1.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 398
  • shelf.jpg
    shelf.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 659
Back
Top Bottom