Generic stylus experience

soundoc03

I have been shopping eBay for oem Shure styli for my M91 and M95ED cartridges for a while now and can't believe how much these NOS styli are selling for. I have been wondering how much better a 20yr old plus cantilever is than a current Swiss or Japanese made generic.

Tonight I have been experimenting with a V15-ll (NOS) and a M95ED with a $9.95 Swiss generic stylus purchased from Parts Express. I have a fully reburbished and tweaked Dual 1228 playing through a MX-110 phono input and Luxman MB-3045s monos. The speakers are KEF 103.2 on Sound Anchors stands.

I am listening to Brubeck's Gone with the Wind album and have played it over and over switching back and forth between the two Shures. For those not familiar, the V15- ll was one of the first high end Shures of the late 60's. I was able to find a NOS later "improved" stylus with the red Super Track logo. This was replaced in th early 70's with the lll which many claim to be a vast improvement. The M95ED was marketed by Shure as second only to the TOTL V15-lll

From the basis of my listening tonight I really can't make out any appreciable differences between the two. Considering that the set up allows me to quickly exchange the premounted headshells I think the A-B comparison has some validity

I am wondering if too much is being made about Shure oem styli. Perhaps a Swiss made one that is factory fresh is a much better economical choice and maybe just as good sonically. I am wondering if anyone else has had a different experience.

Last edited:
I have found that some generic styli sound fairly good, however, as with many things electro-mechanical, the difference will usually show up not with average program material but with complex and demanding passages.

High-fidelity has much to do with maintaining accuracy of phase and the ability to render fineness of detail. Hence, the frequent comment when a person hears a world-class phono cartridge: "Wow, I never heard that before." Often, the person will for the first time be able to hear the individual instruments in an ensemble.

Shure made a super-demanding test record known as the "Obstacle Course," which allowed the excellent trackability of Shure styli to be demoed against the usual potpouri of generic styli and other brands of cartridges.

Best,

Fred Longworth
StereoTech Classic Audio Repair
http://www.repairaudio.com

Hi

i have an M95EDM w/original Stylus still in my CEC BD-5200 and i am very happy with it as System on the Player i use to digitize vinyl with.

i was not yet in the situation to have to buy a stylus, but i sure wil, so you say generics are generally junk or are there generics that are worth to buy?

as reserve i still have new original CEC MC20 system w/stylus, but this is just ok, not to campare with the Shure.

Helge

Yes, I agree about nuances so that is why I mentioned the associated system and recording which has the ability to reveal those type of passages. I have also A-Bed these cartridge/styli combinations using the Shure test record and could not discern any difference.

Could it be that the issue is in the weakest link of the system such as the cardridges or the relatively low end Dual TT? Unfortunately this test could not be done using my better Luxman PD-441 TT as it would not be possible to exchange the cartridges with the same rapidity as with the Dual headshell clips.

I'm wondering whether the real difference might be discernable at the higher level models such as the V-lll and beyond. I don't have any first hand info with the Japanese generics but a factor to consider would be the change in compliance that may occur as the NOS styli age. Another thing to consider is the general quality of nearly all things produced in Switzerland. At least, for these mid-fi Shures from the early 70's I don't believe it is necessary to spend $50-75 on a oem stylus.

How and where can I buy a generic stylus for a Shure M97ED? I have a Swiss made stylus for my V15 III (VN35E) and I think it's great.

I have a few Shure's. I'd be interested in a review if anyone has purchased the replacement (less expensive) styli.

Back
Top Bottom