Geographically speaking

opt80

Subscriber
I was thinking about how some of you visit each other and compare equipment,music etc.
My nearest AK neighbor is Omer and he is in Ottawa,a 12 hr drive from PEI.
I have tried to recruit some buds but their musical/equipment taste run to country hat music and those mini systems you can get at Wal-Mart,the ones with(gasp) bass boost.
It is a funny thing how some people get into audio and music and some just think of it as background.Priorities,I guess.

Alan

NP Danny Gatton Live

Man could he play

I know what you mean Alan. It seems most of my friends here, even the ones that love music, dont seem to want to put ANY time or thought into their equipment. Which is fine, most of them think I`m a nut for having all this "old ass" gear around the house. I think thats why its such a blast when you can hook up with somebody from this site and talk shop. The second-best thing is hanging at this site. Its great when you fing a bunch of folks with the same sickness you have :D cus` it seems to be a rare thing. At least around here.

J

Visiting Other Members

I've been to Grumpys twice meet Punker also always in a hurry hope to have more time to talk etc.

I hope to get down to Grumpy again near future ( Grumpy has a receiver; int. amp; cassette deck; and a set of speakers waiting for me). Soon his place will be called Storage R Us.

This summer going to try to get down southern Ontario see Pro; maybe Kam ;maybe slip to Toronto.

I have been trying to convince Wards and WildWest what an advantage it would be for them to support me for the winter. Have not been too successful. Can you believe it that anyone would turn down a chance to have me as their quest for five months. :D :D

I know Macc,you probably don't eat much,Sure you covet everyone's gear but I'm sure WW and Wards can find stuff for you to do around the house.
Seriously if you or anyone ever vacation here on Prince Edward Island for God's sake look me up.

Johnny,glad to hear you are in the same boat as I am.Most people think I am nuts for collecting gear,but they are right there when I am selling something.One guy at work bought speakers and an amp from me,he had me run a tab for him,took him 2 mths to pay it off and then because he is terrified off his wife said I gave him the stuff.Sad,Sad

Alan

GOOD ONE

Just told my wife about your post the guy hiding stuff from his wife.

She thought it was me as l have been known to hid stuff.:D :D

IF I gave my wife some cock and bull story about getting free gear she'd never believe me anyway. :rolleyes:

Mike

Yep,she believed him,I did give him an old pair of Jamos once with a fried voice coil but I am well known for giving away amps and speakers.Yeah right!!
Alan

NP Richard Thompson The old Kit Bag

Everyone knows Nebraska is at the heart of Gaia! Pretty much right smack in the center of everything, but far away from anything.

Follow with me on this, 'cause I'm pulling things in from several other threads.
Got the big stereo going up here, not a-cranking, just playing. Downstairs I have the M-80/C-2 with JBL L100 the FrankenCentury's. The big stereo runs with JBL CF-150. 600 wpc to 250 wpc.
The big stereo sounds, well, HUGE. Got a bass riff? Yup, guy's over there in the corner, eh? Duelling guitars leads? There they are. Drum kit stage center, to the back.
Makes me wonder why I ever got this other stuff. Cymbals and highhat? Crisp & detailed.

Otherwise, I'm like a hermit holed up in my cave.

Well

I'm about as far as ANYONE here can get, and almost no one among my friends understand my hobby - their typical reacion is " :saywhat: you paid THAT much for OLD equipment???... you can get a KICK ass surround/bass boost/4500 Watt PMPO system and still have money left over..."

I do have ONE friend here in Chile that's into vintage stereo, and I have a GREAT time with him cranking his 9090db and talking shop over some beer.

Chris

Doggone it, I always wonder why everyone lives on the East coast, or the middle coast. I feel all alone out here in the Great Northwest. Yeah, I know, the women don't shave, but that's ok 'cause they don't bathe either. We do have lots of trees, which seem to be the huggie of choice out here....I prefer a nice Birch or Japanese Maple myself, though many prefer Doug Fir...however, he ain't my type :p: So I suppose the only really great part about being out here by myself is the fact that there is less competition for all the thrifty goodies. Yep, I know there are a few of ya out here, but I still ain't tellin' ya where I shop, or where my favorite tree is :D

Bigmacc,

If you are coming down this way I'm just an hour NW of Toronto. Drop by and I'll demo my sound for ya, maybe give you some gear to deliver to Tim too! ;)

Rob

How hard would it be for one of you computer literate folks to make a map with little red dots, or xs, or musical clefs, sowing where members are located.
Voluntarily disclosed locations that is.

I've got this dream of coming back to the States, buying a cheap old van or truck on the west coast then take a meandering drive back to Illinois hitting garage sales and Good Wills along the way.

The red dotted map would show me areas to AVOID because I'll know they've all been picked through!

Just put one big ass red mark over the state of Michigan ! There's more hunters then there are prey here for sure. :p:

Bully how can you live so far inland? I would feel claustrophobic if there wasn't water as far as the eye could see on one side of me :(

Ah, Thor, I'm only 'bout a thousand miles to the nearest beach!
It's not like I'm in North Dakota, yer cryin' out loud :D :cool:

No worries, mate, about that coming giant tsunami, either :p:

Last edited:
So vinylhanger. What part of ORE-E-GUN you from??? And how old you are? Hawthorn stereo ring a bell? I now live in CO after many years in the Army. Portland had become a monster when i went back in 92.

Still own 20 acres in the sisters area i bought in 78.

Sorry just saw your bio. If you were in portland when you were 10
I was the person driving like a idiot back then........

Last edited:
One geographic trend that seems evident from the locations of AK'ers is:

Most of us deal with cold winters.

Do people in warmer climates have a lively boombox Board?

jerrymrc...it's good to see another Coloradoan here on these boards. I live about 7 miles north of Greeley. The only person around here that appreciates my audio sickness is my old man:p: . I still have to come up with reasons for my wife as to why I just NEED all this gear...some people will never understand!

Bully...Turn up the "big stereo" :D I'll step out onto my back porch and give a listen!!!

J-----:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom