German tube Radios

Discussion in 'Tuners' started by emeis, Oct 26, 2017.

1. emeis

emeis Active Member

Greetings to all Gentlemen.
    I'm about to choose one from these 3 beautiful tube radios for free.
    They all work but surely they need care and restoration.
    I can not decide.I'm not familiar to the subject.
    Which one you would choose and why?
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HarmanKardon likes this.
  2. Pio1980

Pio1980 AK Member Subscriber

I think I see a Grundig, Blaupunkt, and Seimens there. Do you have model numbers?
    Why not all three?
    The Seimens is old enough to have the briefly used xx4# series tubes, which afaik afaik are still available. For technical and safety reasons, I'd avoid any AC/DC type set if given only a choice.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  3. emeis

emeis Active Member

Models are
    Grundig Zauberklang type 2070
    Blaupunkt Barcelona type 2342
    Siemens Gross-Super 54 934W

HarmanKardon likes this.
  4. Pio1980

The Grundig and Blaupunkt are technically typical sets for their time, the German "AA5", with FM/ UKW.
    The Seimens, otoh, while also not technically exceptional, is somewhat more interesting and does use two EF41 IF stage tubes, still available. It also uses the older EM34 "eye" tube, which is available but somewhat costly.

If a choice must be made, choose the one that appeals to you most.

5. ConradH

ConradH AK Subscriber Subscriber

Don't underestimate what it can take to rebuild these. Usually every single cap will have to be replaced, not just the electrolytics. Some are a bit difficult to work on unless you buy or build a rotisserie stand to support the chassis. They may have selenium rectifiers and require some mechanical modifications to support new diodes. None of it is terribly difficult, but plan on lots of time to do it right. They look quite similar to a Telefunken Opus I did.

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

The Seimens looks better. All else being equal that would be my choice.

German stuff does tend to be a PITA to work on. Its perhaps not the most difficult piece of gear you will ever touch but they're not a good starting point for tube or radio restoration IMO. The chassis tend to be fairly deep, and a lot of it is occupied with the switch buttons so the space that remains gets pretty crowded. Digging through the layers can be "fun".

7. Pio1980

Routine maintenance on most post war tube sets is facilitated via a cabinet underside cover. Restoration is considerably more involved with chassis removal.

8. HarmanKardon

HarmanKardon Tubes still smell funny Subscriber

Ahh... folks... it is SIEMENS, not SEIMENS or SEINFELD or whatever....

Kidding aside, I would choose the best of the trio - the 1954 Siemens "934W"! It is the biggest and provides the best sound. And it looks better than the Grundig or the Blaupunkt. Don't waste time with the Grundig or even worse - the Blaupunkt if you can get the Siemens!

Just for the record - in 1954 Siemens introduced the biggest tube radio ever: "Kammermusik-Schatulle P48". Wouldn't it be nice to be owner of a little brother of this monster radio?

Just one more thing - the best German tube radios are the SABA radios.

9. Pio1980

10. emeis

emeis Active Member