Get 'em fixed or buy a different pair?

GnRNut

I recently got a pair of Infinity RS10s which has started crackling up badly so now I'm wondering... is it worth getting it fixed or should I just get new ones?

Those old school things cost me $99

long as it doesn't cost an arm and a leg

INFINITY SPK, RS 10
Description: POWERED, 10" WOOFER, 6.5" MID, 1" TWEETER
Manufacture Years: 1983 - Current
MSRP: $900.00

I say worth fixin! :yes:

What do you mean it has started crackling up? Woofer surrounds rotting (likely)? Tweets going bad? I'm a big fan of Infinity speakers, if its not too much to repair them, I'd say go for it. Anything you can do yourself I would, save $$$. Lets see some pics too.

I'm not an Infinity owner but I'd say pull off the grills and take a visual inspection. Are the surrounds good? Try playing the speakers through a different amp. This should help you decide if it's an amp issue or a speaker issue. Put your ear up to the speaker - is it the amp, mid or woofer that's crackling? Kinda' varies from there. Those are supposed to be good speaks so taking a little time/effort to troubleshoot seems reasonable.

well the crackling happened SUDDENLY probably from an electrical discharge as I turned the amp on and off and was trying to fix the wires

I know you're trying to give us a good idea of what happened, but its hard to troubleshoot or offer advice with what you've given us. If you could give us some more detailed info, I bet someone could probably help diagnose your issue. Don't give up!

If you were working with the amp just before you began hearing the "crackling" sound, it's entirely possible that it's the amp and not the speakers. If you have access to another known good amp/receiver, try running it through your speakers. If it does turn out to be the amp, I wouldn't run it through anything I treasured until I had it examined by someone who knew what they were doing.

Back
Top Bottom