Get the amp of your dreams, then this happens. Life is fickle.

onwardjames

Hoardimus Maximus
Subscriber
Hello everyone.

I just bought a restored Threshold 400a, a large purchase for a man with humble means. Should arrive Thursday, and it'll be my end of the road. To say I'm excited is serious understating it.

Called the 72 year old Mom (widowed) on Monday, hadn't heard from her since Thursday of last week, and had received several very garbled texts. After 7 minutes on the phone with her, I knew something wasn't right. She tried and tried, but could not form a sentence.

I said, "Mom, put sis on the phone". Sis is my damaged-goods sibling, and that's perhaps all I should say about that.

I tell her, "Get Mom to the hospital. She's had a stroke."

Turns out she had been acting very erratic since FRIDAY. So I'm going on 4 hours of sleep, Mom is stable, MRI has yet to be read by the doc. Now it wasn't a major stroke, in fact there is no physical manifestations, just an inability to construct sentences sometimes, but even that fog seems to be lifting.

I should know more tomorrow, but at the least, I'm looking at 2-3 weeks of rehab for her, and then afterwards?? Who knows. She has been driving the Amish to hold on to the family farm, and I'm looking at the real possibility of uprooting my life (maybe the wife as well, who knows if she'll follow me out there) and the entire arc of my late 40's has changed.

Such is life. Not looking for pity, everyone has their cross to bear. I am no different. But if some of you could be so kind to keep my sweet old Mom in your thoughts (and prayers, if that is your thing) I would be most grateful. She's a sweet woman with more guts than any 2 men I know, but diabetes, severe apnea, a horrific car wreck in '88, and to top it off, a quintuple bypass, well, it's adding up.

Then there is the legal battle of getting power of attorney with Sis in the way (I'm eldest, and pretty sure Mom leaves me in charge, should anything happen, having changed the will last year). Not a greedy man, but to be honest, the sister would piss the family farm away (64 acres and 3400 sq foot home, plus Granpa's 75 prime farm acreage). I'd just see it stay in the family.

Guess I just needed to spill. Thanks for reading this.

Hello everyone.

I just bought a restored Threshold 400a, a large purchase for a man with humble means. Should arrive Thursday, and it'll be my end of the road. To say I'm excited is serious understating it.

Called the 72 year old Mom (widowed) on Monday, hadn't heard from her since Thursday of last week, and had received several very garbled texts. After 7 minutes on the phone with her, I knew something wasn't right. She tried and tried, but could not form a sentence.

I said, "Mom, put sis on the phone". Sis is my damaged-goods sibling, and that's perhaps all I should say about that.

I tell her, "Get Mom to the hospital. She's had a stroke."

Turns out she had been acting very erratic since FRIDAY. So I'm going on 4 hours of sleep, Mom is stable, MRI has yet to be read by the doc. Now it wasn't a major stroke, in fact there is no physical manifestations, just an inability to construct sentences sometimes, but even that fog seems to be lifting.

I should know more tomorrow, but at the least, I'm looking at 2-3 weeks of rehab for her, and then afterwards?? Who knows. She has been driving the Amish to hold on to the family farm, and I'm looking at the real possibility of uprooting my life (maybe the wife as well, who knows if she'll follow me out there) and the entire arc of my late 40's has changed.

Such is life. Not looking for pity, everyone has their cross to bear. I am no different. But if some of you could be so kind to keep my sweet old Mom in your thoughts (and prayers, if that is your thing) I would be most grateful. She's a sweet woman with more guts than any 2 men I know, but diabetes, severe apnea, a horrific car wreck in '88, and to top it off, a quintuple bypass, well, it's adding up.

Then there is the legal battle of getting power of attorney with Sis in the way (I'm eldest, and pretty sure Mom leaves me in charge, should anything happen, having changed the will last year). Not a greedy man, but to be honest, the sister would piss the family farm away (64 acres and 3400 sq foot home, plus Granpa's 75 prime farm acreage). I'd just see it stay in the family.

Prayers for you and your family especially your mother.
I've seen some similar stuff go on with my best friend and his family and then to a very small degree with my family..
I think I would definitely move to the family farm and keep the legacy your father and mother worked hard to obtain so that you can pass it on down to your progeny.
I have seen too much of this in life with certain members of families that are damaged goods or bad seeds from the beginning of their lives.
Prayers for your sister also.
But I definitely suggest you gird up your loins get yourself prepared and have all the ammunition ready to fight for that family legacy.
Don't allow anybody to get you to let your guard down no matter what because that will just complicate and prolong the process.

Having lost a mother who became a best friend when I moved 8 houses away from her when I retired,i look out my window everyday expecting to see my mother tending her flowers, I'm heart broken when she isn't there and know what your going through ,good on you for having the sense to force emergency medical evaluation ,I cannot say anything that will be life altering except to not wait even 12 hours before boarding a plane to be at your mom's side ,my mother was "feeling funny " and took herself to hospital so I told my brother not to worry and fly from Texas to Michigan ,by the time it was clear my mother was gonna pass it was too late for my brother to get here in time & I tear myself apart thinking of depriving him of a final goodbye nearly every night ,don't wait,go now ! You have my empathy brother .

I'm looking at the real possibility of uprooting my life (maybe the wife as well, who knows if she'll follow me out there) and the entire arc of my late 40's has changed.

Where is this? Wherever it is, I'd bet you have an AK friend or two who can help out.
Certainly count me in if it's near me.

But if some of you could be so kind to keep my sweet old Mom in your thoughts (and prayers, if that is your thing) I would be most grateful.

We'll do what we can.

I’ll keep you and yours in my thoughts. Life, family drama, and potential loss can wear you down quickly- please remember to take care of yourself and your significant other, it’s important. It’s very easy to lose sight of yourself and your companion while focusing on everything else.
Remember to eat and exercise, try to sleep at your usual time. Hug your significant other and thank them for the support.
You can’t properly take care of another if you’re not also taking care of yourself.

onwardjames, my prayers are for you, your mom and your family. I was responsible for managing three different family members through end of life scenarios and then I was the executor of their estates. It was a difficult journey for me, personally. Hopefully your mother has identified someone to manager her affairs should she become incapacitated (Power of Attorney). She also needs someone to make health care decisions (based on her directions) and then an executor to the estate (which needs a will). If you are 40 (and the oldest) she might not have all of this in place (as she might be in her 60's). Your first direction might be to establish this structure. Again, my prayers are with you, your, mom and your family.

Your Mom is lucky to have you looking out for her and I hope she recovers well enough to have a good quality of life for however long it may be.

The amp has waited long enough to have you as its owner, it can wait a bit longer.

But if some of you could be so kind to keep my sweet old Mom in your thoughts (and prayers, if that is your thing) I would be most grateful. She's a sweet woman with more guts than any 2 men I know, but diabetes, severe apnea, a horrific car wreck in '88, and to top it off, a quintuple bypass, well, it's adding up.
You'd be surprised how strong the human spirit and body are.

I should know more tomorrow, but at the least, I'm looking at 2-3 weeks of rehab for her, and then afterwards??
I'll wait to hear more, because more facts are needed. We can let are minds run wild with fear and the unknown but Tim that doesn't help you or your mom.
I'll be praying for her, you and your family.

the entire arc of my late 40's has changed.
Give me a call tonight if you have time Tim, I have been where you are at in some respects.

Back
Top Bottom